Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ihidmyself ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 08:22AM

NOT!!! God, why does it irritate me so much when I get some otherwise intelligent person running to me to tell me that scientists have changed their minds on something as if this NOW shows science to be false?

My friends latest climb up Stupid Mountain comes from something he heard on the news (ten bucks says its Fox) where they reported on a recent discovery of an ancient humanoid skull, about 1.7 million years old. The researchers said that the skull is a homo erectus skull which pre-dates skulls from other hominid species that they THOUGHT all pre-dated homo erectus. So NOW they think those earlier skeletons are just different versions of homo erectus and not their own separate species.

What the report says: Scientists previously thought there were 10 different humanoid species. Now SOME researchers think they think there might be just 8.

What my friend heard: Evolution has been proven false. Science is wrong again.

Makes me wanna scream!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 08:39AM

It's like that in a lot of things, and I'm not sure what the psychology is behind it. In my father's case, I don't think he even cares what the truth is. He just wants to prove all those smarty pants scientists wrong, win arguments, and be right. What a way to live.

Posted by: volrammos ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 08:46AM

It proves the scientific method is always right.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 08:53AM

Wait, how does a 1.8 million year old skull prove the earth is only six thousand years old? I mean I can't figure out that math. Is it like something I am missing, because I am still somehow drunk from last night or something? Man, I hope I am not still so drunk, that I can't figure out math, because I have to drive to work in a couple of hours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2013 08:55AM by forbiddencokedrinker.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 11:51AM

I don't drink and I had the same math problem. Maybe the problem is the problem.

Posted by: Bombadilgirl ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 10:37AM

Heard that same news report, it was on KSL tscc news station! They actually said the skulls were,"just like us". Couldn't believe what I had just heard so with a few clicks I found out the skulls have been studied for the last 5 YEARS, and like what others have mentioned above, they are NOT just like us, they are a part of a branch that extended farther than previously thought! Another attempt by tscc to deceive the multitudes!

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 12:27PM

That's what happens when you are grasping for straws. When it comes to finding any evidence at all to support creationism, there just isn't AANNNYYYY. So anything that even possibly could be the flimsiest hint of evidence when looked at upside down and sideways with their eyes half closed becomes proof positive to them.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 12:36PM

I thought the christers proved evolution false long ago.

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 12:41PM

Dawkins had the right idea: do not even engage creationists. It's futile. Might as well be conversing in two different languages. And in the end one of you will get burned by the stupid.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 12:53PM

Tell him not to get his flu shot next year because flu virus was created and therefore can't evolve to cope with environmental pressures (anti virals). His first flu shot from whenever should be still ok.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 03:16PM

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

Michael Tellinger: Slave Species of God

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 05:10PM

Yeah, I hate this tactic. They're trying to discredit science. It's a fundamental misunderstanding of how scientific models work. They fail to understand that objectivity is going where the facts lead you. As you have more facts, your model must accommodate them.

These guys apply their faith model to reality. I think you see this same flawed thinking infects multiple areas of their lives. There is only one true version of U.S. history, economic theory, the Constitution, way to behave, social model, definition of family etc.. Even if new data comes in they can't accommodate it. The "true" version they hold on to often serves their own narcissism, as in "I have special understanding that the media, scientists, etc. don't possess". "I have better powers of discernment."

Because their biases or so apparent it will be used to gain their trust. There are a host of cons targeted to groups that are easy to manipulate. You can trick people into believing false things, if it fits their particular "truth" that they carry around in their heads.

Anyhow, that's my current theory. I am open to changing it as more information becomes available.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2013 05:25PM by crom.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 06:42PM

Reminds me of my dad whenever he looks out the window and its snowing, he says, with an annoying smirk,

"Hmmm, 'global warming' they say...?"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.