Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Red ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 05:35PM

Another post mockingly mentioned selling temple signs & tokens on ebay, and piqued my curiosity of what Mormony things might be on ebay right now. Among lots of things I found this:

1980 Gold Foil Book Of Mormon Cover, Reformed Egyptian Hieroglyphics Artifacts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Gold-Foil-Book-Of-Mormon-Cover-Reformed-Egyptian-Hieroglyphics-Artifacts-/251363384238?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item3a866cdbae

Description reads:

"Gold Foil Cover with "Reformed Egyptian" Hieroglyphics, measures approx. 7 by 5 inches. Sought after by collectors, not only for the great cover, but also because this edition is out of print and contains photos of artifacts, drawings, and locations in support of, and possibly related to, the peoples in the Book of Mormon."

Now, really, Reformed Egyptian? Has it not already been determined that there is no such thing as RE? If so, just what is the scrawl on this gold foil cover? You're welcome to examine the link, check out the photo, pontificate, and share any thoughts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: EmmaWho ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 05:49PM

There's another one for sale someone's hoping to get $99 from (hah, good luck with that). Apparently that edition was controversial and was recalled ...probably recalled because of the FAUX reformed egyptian on the cover?

Posted by: Cinnamint ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 05:56PM

My dad had one of these in the 80s! I used to think it was the coolest thing...gold and cool Egyptian pictures...but I was 8.

Date: October 27, 2013 06:09PM

I was 8 in 1983 and had my first impression of mormons from a heart-sell commercial. I'll never forget it. I loved that commercial. Wish my never-mo family had been heart-sell happy! Of course now I see that heartsell is mostly an artistic illusion, but still nice to dream of and aim for occasional sweet family moments like that. I digress, off topic.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 05:58PM

I remember back in the late '70s (on my mission) of having the choice to hawk either these gold books or the regular blue ones. The insides were the same. There were also gold zippered covers for our 'triple combinations' if we wanted to buy them. We were actually told to use them to reflect the sun into people's faces... because, you know, people like shiny things. Mormon inspiration at its best.

Out of print? Yeah, somebody probably challenged the characters. "Oops.. better not use those anymore."

Date: October 27, 2013 06:03PM

So you've seen these IRL! Haha reflecting shiny things into people's faces.

I'm curious to know where the characters came from, if they were just made up?

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 06:10PM

Yes... it was my IRL. I still have a couple of the blue BofMs; I should have saved a gold one. I was mormon-nerdy enough to buy the zipper cover; but it fell apart long ago. There was also a sandy-colored Hebrew(?) zipper cover for the OT/NT. I still have that one. The screening is almost all worn off, though.

And I think about them (and snicker) when I see Klingon writing... or that writing they use on Futurama.

Posted by: hard6 ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 06:50PM

Listen to the Mormon Expositor podcasts about Mark Hoffman. These come up. I have two ;)

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 06:00PM

Notice how "Reformed Egyptian" is in quotes. I'm sure if you called them out on it, they'd just say it was an "artist's impression" or something to that effect.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 06:03PM

I sent the seller a question. I'll let you know if they respond.

Can you tell me if the Reformed Egyptian characters are accurately presented? I've been unable to find Reformed Egyptian and this might be what I was looking for.

Thanks.

Date: October 27, 2013 06:12PM

Asking closer to the source, good idea :-)

Posted by: Bobihor ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 06:29PM

It looks like they were copied from the supposed Anthon transcript to me. Do a google image search for "anthon transcript" and compare.

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 06:37PM

That's exactly where they came from. The CoC (formerly RLDS) has the supposed Anthon "caractors" transcript.

Date: October 27, 2013 06:38PM

So based on a google search, the Anthon transcript is the same as "nickname's" link to Mark Hoffman's reformed egyptian forgery. Are these one and the same? I need to research more if I feel inclined. Or not :-)

Posted by: Bobihor ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 06:45PM

The way I understand it, the "Caracters" transcript didn't match the description of the Anthon transcript, and Mark Hoffman took advantage of this discrepancy to create his forgery. Hoffman's forgery looks different...it has a circular Mayan calendar-looking thing in the bottom right, and is in portrait orientation, per the description.

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 06:56PM

Yeah, on further investigation it looks like Mark Hoffman and this foil BoM both got their characters from the same place: the CoC's "Anthon Transcipt."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthon_Transcript

In fact, on further further investigation, it looks like the makers of the foil BoM just lifted the entire "Anthon Transcript" "text," character for character, directly onto their cover. (they had to repeat part of the first line again at the bottom to fill the page)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2013 06:59PM by nickname.

Posted by: ness ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 06:12PM

Aren't the symbols from Mark Hoffman?

Date: October 27, 2013 06:13PM

Mark Hoffman was circa late 70's early 80's, yeah...

Date: October 27, 2013 06:19PM

Good find!!

Date: October 27, 2013 06:20PM

Maybe those would be fun to buy after all.

Or not.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 06:33PM

Yippee!

That was the very first thing on my shelf.

I was 8ish. I was sitting in primary (I think) in the second ward in Seattle. I was in front of the pulpit bored sh!tless. I looked at the book in my hands and was reading the cover. I realized that NONE of the so called "characters" had any stylistic correlation to one another.

I remember thinking "this looks like a kid made it up. I could do better."

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 06:45PM

I had a book which was published in the 1940s with similar characters which were presented as from the BoM which JS had copied and were accepted by an LDS leader as such. Hence, at least some of the characters were found on documents from 1830. It appears such additional ones are included in this book cover which appear similar to the writing on the Kinderhook plates.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.