Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 12:33AM

I know the SLC mall built by LDS, Inc. is supposed to be fabulous with hi-tech glass ceilings and running stream. So how much does all this cost LDS, Inc. to maintain, clean, and power? Anyone out there know or have any estimates? Is it a lot more than other malls or have they used modern green technology to keep it all cost effective?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lastofthewine ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 01:30AM

Great point.

I love the proximity of the mall to the lair of the upper echelon of LDS inc., as in "how do we make the payments?"

Sleepless nights. Like if I had a Ferrari in the driveway.

Posted by: Frightened Inmate #2 ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 08:56AM

I did some work there afterhours a week ago, and all I could say was WHY? They installed t-grid ceilings in the entire parking area it's infinitely more money and more maintenance than just painting the concrete and using metal halide lighting, and I dare say it's far less "green". There's 2 semi truck lifts that go 5 or 6 levels below the street, I'm sure there are cheaper ways of getting product to stores than sending semi trucks 100 feet underground, unloading them and then sending the product back up again on smaller elevators. It was clearly built by someone who didn't care about the cost of anything, it's all about looks. I'm sure next time I go to a job there I'll see more insanity too, My company does electrical there from time to time.

However, the building itself is paid for, and tenants are paying for utilities, so all they have to worry about is paying taxes and paying for their portion of the utilities, if it's not already being paid for by marking up tenant's rates.

Edit: I'll see if I can find some electrical meters next time I'm there and do some math. As long as they're not getting extra special rates from RMP I can tell you pretty close to what they're paying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2013 08:59AM by Frightened Inmate #2.

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 10:42AM

Thanks for that info. You said it is "all about looks" so I'm wondering if the tenants don't maintain their space the way LDS,Inc. would like, can they be fined or punished in some way? And if the pricey stuff used to make things look good start to breakdown, crack, peel, or split will it take lots more money to repair and fix? I also wonder what will happen if sales are poor and tenants decide to leave at the end of their contracts. If LDS, Inc. cannot get decent replacement tenants could the place start to look like a ghost mall? Does anyone know for how long most tenants are contracted to stay there?

I realize you don't have the answer to all these questions but it would be great to get some input from people who might have an idea on the outcome if tenants are less than thrilled with being located there. I suppose time will tell.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.