Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: obiwan ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 02:08AM

This has all occured in the last 48 hours;

Finally, after 6 months of not going to church my wife's VT's have noticed she is not at church and have decided for the first time in 2.5 years to try and make an appointment to visit with her "because we miss seeing you". Unfortunately she has to work that night.

After not attending for the last 6 weeks ( I did arrange a replacement teacher mind you. I thought that was considerate after deciding it was all a load of BS), I have also had a request by the bishop to come and visit with us (for the first time EVER!!!) to "talk about my calling". Unfortunately I am at a work function that evening. I did however suggest that he can feel free to release me from my calling in the interest of continuity and forward planning.

My EQP has also noticed my absence and has messaged me to see if there is a time to catch up and have a chat, and "see how you and the family are going". Unfortunately we have a busy social schedule and I am travelling for work on-and-off next week.

My EQP then wanted to know if I can come out and HT with him next week. He obviously did not read the previous message.

Finally, I can let the EQP know if "there is anything we can do to help". Well that would have been helpful a couple of years ago when we were actually struggling.

I am now expecting missionaries at my door any time now. Deep calming breaths...... inhale.....exhale.... repeat for 80 years...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2013 02:09AM by obiwan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Darth Vader ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 02:12AM

Posted by: roland ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 04:55AM

Only a Master of Evil!!!!

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 02:37AM

It will last until you tell them to cease and desist from contacting you. If you don't want them to visit then tell them that directly. You are in charge of your life.

Date: October 29, 2013 04:58AM

How do I do this though? I do not like in-person confrontation, and we do not want to submit our resignations until we have moved into a new stake where no one knows us.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 05:36AM

Say, "We are inactive and content with our status. Please put us on your 'do not contact' list." You can call, email, or text that, and it's perfectly polite. It won't totally eliminate contact, but it might cut back on it.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 08:52AM

if they don't stay away.

Posted by: tokens4sale ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 02:41AM

I just posted about this literally seconds ago! I know EXACTLY how you feel.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 05:22AM

Just do it. Don't wait until you move to another stake. That is cowardly. Sorry but it is. Face the music now. TSCC is evil and you don't want anything to do with it.
Block and copy this: Hello EQP, HT, VT, Bishop Prick etc., We are no longer interested in being in this church. We don't believe in it it anymore. We are having our names removed from the rolls. Please release us from our callings now. DO NOT call on us again, please. Thanks and have a nice day"
There, now just block and copy that and either text or email them.
There that wasn't so hard was it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2013 05:23AM by enoughenoch19.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 08:30AM

I don't think it's cowardly. People know their lives and their own personalities and get to approach it in the way that best suits them. It's easy to tell people what they *should* do when the consequences don't personally impact us.

Unfortunately, from the many stories on RfM over the years, resigning guarantees nothing. People have continued to be hounded even after they resign.

Obiwan, I think Summer's advice is a good first-round approach, and then escalate as necessary. Being confrontational gets easier with practice. You might never enjoy it, but you can become skilled at it. Don't explain and never give a detailed excuse that gives them an opening to overcome your objections. Come up with a few phrases, such as "we will not be attending" or "we are not interested" or "we are not available for the foreseeable future; I have to go now. Bye." Get comfortable repeating them without adding additional explanation and get comfortable with awkward silences because good sales people know how to manipulate information out of people who blabber to fill in uncomfortable stretches of silence.

Good luck, and don't feel manipulated into taking steps you aren't ready to take because of the judgment of others.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 08:35AM

Surrender Dorothy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "we will not be attending" or "we
> are not interested" or "we are not available for
> the foreseeable future; I have to go now. Bye."

Yeah, these.

Just, "Not right now," only keeps the door open to, "Okay, then when?"

You may also have to resort to, "We really need some space right now. Please respect our privacy at this time."

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 05:27AM

You may need to do what I had to do so long ago. Tell them you really need space and need to be left alone. Have no problem with it; what right does anyone have to harass you ever? You don't bother them, and they need to bug off. Of course they will not like being told that. Tough toenails.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 05:31AM

We're extremely happy, productive and busy. But if any of you Mormons need our help, we'll do what we'll do what we can for you."

There's no way to know how long they'll keep this up. Resigning and tell them bluntly to stay away does help tone it down.

Good luck and well done.

Date: October 29, 2013 05:48AM

MY wife received two annoying voice messages on her phone today; "Oh hi, I really miss seeing you blah, blah, blah...". I think we will wait to see if we have to move out of our rental at the end of November and if we don't then write our resignation letter/s shortly after. I cannot bear another 12 months of the stress and morgbot messages.

Thanks for the support peeps!!!

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 09:02AM

Go back next week and start talking about all the problems with the historicity, tithing, boa, changing beliefs, etc. Bear your testimony of the untruthfullness of TSCC. If you do this for about a month or two, then quit going they will never bother you again. Ever.

Posted by: DecevdBySatanNoMore ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 10:58AM

Hey I'm right there with you, my wife and I left about 4-5 months ago. First off, don't get pressure into doing anything you don't want to do. Do this on your terms. You now control your destiny, do what you want with it.

Personally I sent an e-mail to a few people who asked where I had been. We sent them the video by John Dehlin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP3GJeYIN3s. It's a great video, but didn't stop the love bombing.

The missionaries want to stop by the house. As a return missionary, I feel like this is a perfect opportunity to right some of my wrong teachings. I am now welcoming all members to come to my house and learn the disturbing facts that most members don't know.

I'm OK with in-person conflict though, and am happy to stop them dead in their tracks when they try to give me a lesson. I was a pretty good missionary, knew how to manipulate, pretend like you're super sincere, and guilt people into what you think is right. It's time to use the force against them! I will be bearing my testimony with a tear in my eye that I know that this church is false, and Joseph Smith was a pedophile. I have felt a sickness in my heart about many teachings of the TSCC but chose to ignore it, until now. Study the facts I've taught you, ponder them in your heart, and ask the Lord with a sincere heart if the Lord would allow his children to be treated this way. That sickness you're feeling right now about the facts of Joe Smith, that's the spirit (or your common sense) telling you the truth. I invite you to act on these feelings, follow the spirit (or your common sense) and follow the Lord!"

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 11:01AM

It will only last as long as you will let it. If you want it to end break out the water hose.

Posted by: dit ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 12:07PM

I remember the Bishop bringing the SP to the house telling my husband they were looking for me and proceed to ask if there is anything they can do to help me come back to church. I said there was nothing they could do, I wasn't going back. With that, he abruptly got up and said I guess our time here is done then. I said, I guess so. I told him it was great seeing him, shook hands and they left. These are family friends and I was so nervous telling him. But this is MY life not the church's. They will NOT tell me how to act or think anymore.

Tell them you're done. Don't be afraid, this is YOUR life we're talking about. Good luck!

Posted by: feelinglight ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 12:18PM

Yup, going through some of that right now. Can't they see how dumb they look. I had a woman call me after not being at church for weeks and then I did drop in. She said she hadn't had a chance to say hi on Sunday. She has NEVER said hi on a Sunday!!! !!Yuk

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.