Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Bartok ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 10:37AM

Concerning religious topics? I am an atheist and sometimes the things people say because of religion just piss me off. I try really hard just to hide my atheism, but I feel like its not true to me. I'm having a hard enough time telling people I'm not Mormon anymore, let alone an atheist.

Ah, I'm just rambling again. But I guess that's my question.

I also want to say thanks to everyone on this board, (especially the people who run it) its helped me so much

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 12:31PM

Since you asked.....:-)

I usually keep my private beliefs to myself. They are personal and private. However, sometimes, they leak out on some level.

I take the position that there are some basic rules of civility that help us maintain relationships that are important to us.

One: treat others the way we want to be treated.

Know what propriety means; what is OK to say when and where to maintain civility. Kindness goes a long ways.

I try to think in terms of what is anyone else's business and keep things to myself that I don't want passed around or misused or used against me.

I know dozens of people that I'm sure have belief systems by faith of some kind, but I do not know what they are. I've known some folks for over 60 years, and we never discuss it.

There is so much more to a relationship that subjects of faith.
I prefer to respect and honor every one's RIGHTS to their personal beliefs by faith. I have not walked in their shoes, they have not walked in mine.

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 12:50PM

I wouldnt and dont go out of my way to mke waves, but at the same time, when religion is pushed on me, or someone says something I find unusually egregious, I say something.

Theres this quote to keep in mind: All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do (and say) nothing.

As long as what is said isn't harmful, mean, stupid or obnoxious, I may do an inner eyeroll and let it go, but it depends.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 01:00PM

Hey, certain companies in Salt Lake won't even allow this organization to buy space.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/opinion/57039695-82/atheists-http-www-american.html.csp

Unbelievable.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 01:27PM

That's my world. I live in the South. You can't go 5 minutes without some kind of reference to Jesus. What bothers me is that it is the expectation that I'm a Jesus person too. It's like it never occurs to them that someone might not be like them.

I do recognize that atheists make them uncomfortable. I don't think many really trust anyone but Christians (Christian plumber, Christian Auto Service, etc.). I never say the A word because I don't need that kind of tension. I chose to live here. I knew this was strong Bible territory so I don't worry about trying to get acceptance for my views.

I'm happy to have a place like this site where I can express my views because in real life I don't think it would be beneficial to put atheism in their face the way they put Christianity in mine. Instead I look for the many things we have in common.

I stay away from any religious topics and change the subject. I try to ignore things like the "Daily Inspiration" of Bible babble that some kind soul prints out every day and posts in the lunchroom. Can you imagine me posting something like that about atheism? I seriously think it would be dangerous for me to be that vocal here.

Well, football appears to be the real religion. I wouldn't say anything bad about that either. :-)

Posted by: ddt ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 05:41PM

Are you a football bigot too?

Do you root against Notre Dame?

I bet you do and that makes you the biggest bigot ever to be begot.

Bigot.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. o_O

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 06:20PM

we drove past a nice looking small store with its sign out front.

" BOB'S PLUMBING SUPPLY "

" WHERE JESUS IS LORD "

Posted by: mysid ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 03:42PM

I live in NJ, in a town that's VERY religiously diverse. Religion rarely comes up in conversation, and when it does, people generally don't assume that others believe as they do. When it does come up, I'm open about being atheist. It's never been an issue in my life, but I know I'm just fortunate due to where I live. (I work at a church! and no one cares that I'm an atheist--that's how far away from being an issue it is in my life.)

I am quite willing to state my opinions on various issues that are tangentially related to religion, such as marriage equality or keeping abortion legal. For me, it's a moral issue to stand up for people's rights, rights that get trampled on in the name of "God".

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 05:32PM

unless it's clearly established that everyone present is pretty much in agreement. The same goes for politics. These two subjects are rife with pitfalls and open to individual interpretation.

If believers don't follow this advice for good manners, you might need to remind them.

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: October 28, 2013 02:12AM

George Carlin said it best: Keep thy religion to thyself.

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: October 28, 2013 02:03PM

My personal policy: I never initiate a conversation about my atheism, and just because someone else expresses their religion doesn't mean they're attacking me and I have to respond. But I don't shy away from contributing to a discussion or debate when I am invited or engaged in one. If someone tells me they love Jesus, then fine. Whatever. That's their prerogative. But if they tell me *I'm* supposed to love Jesus, too, then I'll offer my own opinion on the matter.

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: October 28, 2013 02:08PM

I don't announce that I'm atheist except to other fellow athiests. For good reason though, because while religions constantly claim persecution, it's nothing compared to how atheists are treated. So I generally just keep it to myself but if the opportunity arises for a good debate, I won't shy away from pointing out the absurdities of religion in general.

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 05:19PM

If someone says they'll pray for you, you can tell them thank you and you know they mean well, but That what you really need them to do is X or Y as a favor for you (or for your sick mom or dad, or whoever).

If someone asks you to say a prayer in their home before dinner, politely decline. If pressed or shamed, tell them you wont or dont say prayers, but you will recite a favorite poem of yours or a few lines of a song you particularly like, or that you will be glad to offer a toast to the host and hostess, instead.

If someone states or implies that something bad happened to someone else or to you, because of unworthiness or lack of belief or faith, say " judge not, lest ye be judged", or "let he who is without sin cast the furst stone", and stand there quietly smiling or turn on your heel and leave the room. Whichever suits you.

If someone tells you that you are going to hell, say that they can believe all they want in that imaginary, made up place, but you believe in living, loving and being kind to others in the real world.

There are ways around being put upon by holier than thous, having anger or resentment spewed at you by spiteful relatives, or stuffing your feelings down deeper and deeper, until you explode.

If you remain calm when you do any of these things, and don't act unless provoked or when people act cluelessly toward you, it usually goes over much better than rants or raves.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 05:27PM

It is always appropriate to speak your mind. However, all cause has an effect, and the more you imbue your remarks with class, the better the result. For example, compare saying, "You're an idiot to believe in God!" to saying something less confrontational, like, "So far I haven't seen any proof of God anywhere," which puts them on the defensive. They will then usually point to a flower, a sunset, or a baby, as proof of God and you can say very unassumingly, "No that is proof that there is a flower, a sunset, and a baby. I still don't see any proof of God."

And while we are talking about cause and effect, holding your tongue will usually cause anxiety and leave you wishing you would have said something. It is not necessary to get the last word, but you can never go wrong getting the most clever word.

Posted by: rachel1 ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 06:36PM

I work in one of the big box stores with a very culturally diverse group of fellow employees. In some ways, we are family and I enjoy working with them very much. We watch out for one another and take care of each other. Some of them are very passionate about every aspect of life and every time we greet one another hugs are involved.

On my first day of work, upon being introduced to one of my coworkers who is a woman born in Africa and raised in France, I was greeted with a big hug and a kiss on the cheek! She is always happy and always smiling and she lifts my spirits when I go to work feeling depressed, stressed or filled with anxiety.

But some days it's like stepping into a good old fashioned revival and I hear "Praise Jesus!" and "Halleluja Jesus!" as some of my coworkers gather for conversation. While I enjoy their passion for their beliefs, I am not a follower of Jesus so I just walk away until they are done. If they want to pray for me, I'm okay with that, I'll take all the positive and loving thoughts anyone wants to send my way and I'll do the same for them.

It's kind of a breath of fresh air, really. Being around people who are passionate about their faith but are okay with me not having the same faith is so different from when I was part of TSCC.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.