Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: heretic ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 12:56PM

I was watching the CBS Morning Show's intv. of author Anne Rice this morning.
They briefly touched on how she had left the Catholic Church and became an atheist for 30 years.
She returned to the Catholicism, but after four years again gave up Catholicism,
Christianity and being a Christian (still a follower of Christ in some sense).

I googled to find out what caused her to leave the Catholic Church a second time.
During the last two to three years, of her four year return to Catholicism,
she was troubled by several things (i.e. Catholicism's anti-gay, anti-artificial birth control and anti-feminist's stances).
Also, she was troubled by the child abuse scandals in the church, the church's defensive reaction to them,
and by the excommunication of Sister Margret McBride, a nun and hospital administrator
who had approved an abortion for a woman whose life was in danger.

Although I'm not a fan of Anne Rice's writings, I am a big fan of the courage she demonstrated
to reverse herself. As many of us here know, to reverse oneself regarding their religious path,
when WE FEEL the evidence compels us to do so, is quite difficult. Especially so in a cult like Mormonism.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 01:31PM

I've posted this before. It's a piece of great advice and wisdom I learned as a teenager:

"It's a woman's prerogative to change her mind."

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 01:56PM

Posted by: Xq ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 06:01PM

Indeed. No need to uphold sexism in our idioms.

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 01:49PM

We make commitments to the Mormon Church based on certain information.

Then, as we look outside Mormonism for addition sources of information, it becomes apparent that we have made choices, decisions and commitments based on incomplete, inaccurate or completely false information.

Mormonism asks us to honor the commitments we made under false pretenses as contractual and moral obligations.

I reserve the right to adjust my opinion, as new evidence comes to light or I become more educated. I don't have a moral obligation to stay with a bad decision I now know is based on lack of knowledge, information or comprehension.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.