Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nomo28 ( )
Date: November 02, 2013 08:04PM

Since the thread started a couple of days ago, I've been reading some randomly. Just came across this one from a guy in Madagascar. Very full of himself!!

"The friend, a couple named Jim and Anjarisoa, have no concept of "the ONE true church". We brought up baptism to them, asking them if they would prepare themselves to be baptized in December. Both of them said, "that's nice, but we're already baptized!" Really now. In what church? The husband was dunked in some random church I've never heard of, and the wife was baptized (with a little water on the forehead) in the Protestant church. They have both ditched their old churches and are now members in the "Miara-Manompo" ("Serve Together") church. So basically, my companion and I have a lot to do with them, explaining authority and why it is so important".

"Josoa also says that he likes our church, and just wants to learn a bit more about it before he gets baptized. His wife is more hesitant, but hopefully we'll get her in the end".

"Looking through Wednesday, we taught two women, both of whose husbands don't learn. The one is just out of town usually, but the other one has told his wife that he is just fine in the FJKM church, and doesn't need to learn from the missionaries. Well, my good man, you actually do!"

Just a few gems. Are all missionaries supposed to act this way?

http://missionaries.arring.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fundamentard ( )
Date: November 02, 2013 10:13PM

He looks like Elizabeth Smart and acts like Tom Cruise. Too bad its not the other way around :).

Posted by: Butterfly Undercover ( )
Date: November 04, 2013 04:55AM

"Anyway, we wiped the dust from our feet (metaphorically and literally. It's kind of a running joke that we have with Mamy, our Branch Mission Leader) and walked off. Free agency sucks sometimes, but apparently you can't force people to repent and follow God."

Posted by: OnlyAPawnInTheirGame ( )
Date: November 04, 2013 05:21AM

This really makes me cringe, especially because in part I may have thought a little bit like this myself when I was a missionary. At least I had the good sense to keep my thoughts to myself!

Do they think that no-one reads their blogs? I can't believe they use the peoples names!

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: November 04, 2013 09:55AM

This guy is an absolute gold mine of ignorance and arrogance.
Check out what he says about an investigator that has a work obligation getting in the way of going to church:

"We have another lady named Lily, who hasn't been coming to church because of her work. She came a couple weeks ago, but the week after that her boss got mad at her, and she hasn't been able to attend since then. We keep telling her that if work is going to be in the way of church, then she has to find a way to get Sundays off, or leave the job. Her situation is a little more understandable than Arlette's, because if she doesn't work, her family is going to have a really hard time getting along. She needs a job. But that job is getting in the way of church attendance, and that means that she (and the rest of her family) are having their baptism date pushed back. It was supposed to be on January 12th, but because she didn't attend, we have to push back the date. If she won't be able to attend church before her baptism, she won't be able to after it. Which is not okay. So we talked to her and asked if she believes that God will help her if she shows her faith in Him and puts following His commandments above everything else, and she said yes. But she is still afraid to leave her job. So really the answer is no. It's just frustrating. If you're not going to attend, don't promise that you will. And if you don't really believe that God will help you, don't say that you do."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2013 09:56AM by whiskeytango.

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: November 04, 2013 10:09AM

Gee, I wonder why someone in an impoverished country would be afraid to miss work?

Of course, if your daddy and mommy have been supporting you your entire life, that's probably hard to relate to....

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: November 04, 2013 10:09AM

Maybe we should create a sticky with just quotes like these. That should really hasten the work... down the drain.

Or, in other words:

The other day I got this amazing feeling that we should create a sticky with all these super inspiring quotes! That would be awesome! I'm so excited about this idea I can't think of anything else, haha! It would be sooo cool!

Posted by: brett ( )
Date: November 04, 2013 10:19AM

UGH! I want to punch this kid in the face. Is he going to support this woman who quits her job based on his advice?

I knew missionaries like this when I was on my mission and I prayed to not get assigned to them. They represent everything that's wrong with sending arrogant 18 and 19 year olds on missions. They have no life experience but are convinced they know exactly what everyone should do.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 04, 2013 10:31AM

I see this in our ward newsletter, which they still mail to me on the first of every month. The arrogance of some of these missionaries is astounding. It makes me hope that, like most schoolyard bullies, they are just scared and clinging to their fake superiority to cope with what they've been asked to do. Or maybe they just don't realize how they come across. But most of the ones who post like this probably are as bad as they sound.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 04, 2013 11:07AM

And yet, even the LDS church went from full-on washing and anointing to spot-touching, and now to putting a wet hand on the head. How is this not wrong?

Posted by: The other Sofia ( )
Date: November 04, 2013 11:11AM

Hmmm... do they expect the subway they took to get to church to not have employees working on Sunday? Do they expect doctors and nursed and even clerks to not work in ERs on Sundays in case they get hurt? Do they expect tow truck drivers and EMTs to not work in case their car breaks down on Sunday. I could go on...

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: November 04, 2013 11:21AM

I read a fair amount. I came away thinking it is a joke, seriously. When you get down a few entries it just gets nuttier. This can't be a real missionary blog, can it?

Date: November 04, 2013 12:03PM

That's what I was thinking also. When the board was down, I read the whole blog. I was amazed how he kept calling people stupid as well!

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: November 04, 2013 11:52AM

This whole mishie blog thing will blow up in their faces.

I hope.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 04, 2013 12:15PM

mormonism in a nutshell.

Posted by: someone ( )
Date: November 04, 2013 02:00PM

The arrogance in this one is so overweening. Usually I'm very polite and circumspect around the mishies, but with this guy, I'd have no qualms about blowing his belief-system to pieces. We should make him and Sister Throat-slitter the best-known faces of the modern Mormon missionary movement.

Posted by: moira ( )
Date: November 04, 2013 02:35PM

I also read the whole blog while the board was down. His brother's posts were quite different than his. It was so hard watching (through his photos) this healthy young man become wan and thin at the end of his mission. He talked a lot about running out of money and food and having to ask "President" for permission to get more. His many bouts of sickness had to be horrifying for his parents to watch from afar. I hope he has recovered and gone on to get healthy with no longtime adverse affects from his experience.

Regarding his brother, I do hope that at some point of his mission that he realizes just how bigoted and racist he is. I don't think he has a clue, yet.

Date: November 04, 2013 02:54PM

Some of these guys need a keeper. This rocket scientist went caving in a suit. Seriously. And a light colored one. He posted a picture just to really make his parents proud of what a moron they raised. It's one the left of the page. Although the banner photo doesn't exactly look like sober, serious mission companions, either.

http://eldergoogle.blogspot.com/

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: November 04, 2013 03:46PM

Remember to pray for everyone even obama

What an evil little prick.

Date: November 04, 2013 03:11PM

One thing I didn't understand... Why does he keep getting upset that people are praying to Jesus?

Date: November 04, 2013 03:19PM

You are supposed to pray to Heavenly Father in the name of Jesus Christ his son. Not to the son.

Posted by: abinadiburns ( )
Date: November 04, 2013 03:48PM

Maybe he will get her in the end.

It makes me crazy when humans are spoken of as some sort of commodity.

A$$h0le

Posted by: kirchoff ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 09:45PM

This girl seems to be a bit smarter than the average SM.

Haven't met her yet, but encountered other Sisters she mentions on her blog.

http://sisterkern.blogspot.com/

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.