Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jujubee ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 01:24AM

I'm single and 30 who never went to the temple. Did any of you stifle laughs when you went?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 01:41AM

I was in a bad mood the first time I went because I had a head cold.

But I remember going to do a session at the provo temple with my district from the MTC.
As soon as we were all in the full get up, each of us tried so hard not to look at each other because we knew the laughter would be inevitable.
But of course we couldn't help it. I think it was mostly the hats. Anyway, we laughed and chuckled and then promptly got scolded by the old folks and the sister missionaries.

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 10:46AM

After my mission I went back to BYU. One Friday night my roommates and I watched "Monty Python and the Holy Grail." The next morning we went to the Provo temple. When the movie got to the part about god creating shrubberies we all started laughing and couldn't stop.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 10:54AM

I didn't laugh. I went home and was in shock. I had an opposite of laughter. I felt violated.

Posted by: danboyle ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 10:59AM

Pagag Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I didn't laugh. I went home and was in shock. I
> had an opposite of laughter. I felt violated.

Me too, total shock.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 03:31PM

Did you go before 1990? I did. The only humor I got was the "Pay Lay Ale". At the rest, I was horrified. The humor was in thinking as we said it, "O wha a goo siam". Said faster and faster.

Posted by: newnamenephi ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 10:57AM

We took my little sister through the temple for her mission. All my family went up together to be in the "true order of prayer." [eye roll]

In the middle of the prayer we all busted up laughing. Almost uncontrollably. The officiator was not very happy with us. He was making the sentences to repeat way too long so nobody could remember his exact wording. We would all trail off and say different words at the end. It was pretty funny.

That freaky cult prayer circle ALWAYS creeped me out!

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 11:03AM

Laughing was the last thing on my mind. I was way too horrified.

Posted by: UtahMan ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 11:03AM

There is something that the satan character says that makes me chuckle everytime. But i can't remember what it is. But the baker hats are priceless.

Posted by: idleswell ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 11:22AM

I presume you are speaking of an endowment session. I like to look for humor in any situation. Life gets too dull otherwise.

Because I was a convert I didn't receive my endowment until our wedding day. I was "The Groom." My wife was "The Bride." Another elder being endowed before his mission was "The Missionary."

For those who have not attended an endowment session, the men and women are seated on opposite sides of the room. Among the men the brethren we very concerned that "The Groom" and "The Missionary" had full participation. I presume the sisters were conducting things similarly with "The Bride."

An older gent kept confusing me and "The Missionary." I was startled when he asks me, "Where are you serving your mission?" But I was taken to laughter (but not "loud laughter") when I saw the reaction when he asks "The Missionary," "Where are you going on your honeymoon."

Posted by: mondaymorning ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 12:24PM

The first time Satan broke the fourth wall and looked into the camera to say, "I'm observing the teaching of these people." I seriously almost lost it. I looked over at my older brother. His eyes were glazed over clearly either spaced out or learned to sleep with his eyes open. I remembered that I was in the temple, which was all so overwhelming to an 19 year old who knew very little about what was going to happen inside, and caught myself before a stream of laughter poured out.

I got used to Satan's hilarious fourth wall break eventually, but the younger Satan's overacting was always a source of entertainment in an otherwise boring repetitive environment.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 12:26PM

in that ridiculous hat--I did stifle laughter. Only "lighthearted moment" of the experience.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 12:30PM

I didn't laugh. I was freaked out. My thoughts were more along the line, "Holy shit, this really is a cult!"

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 12:33PM

It is real funny who you will see when you meet "The Lord" through the veil. Sometimes it's a big Tongan, other times a skinny, frail little old man.

Posted by: BG ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 12:41PM

Old men rubbing oil above my privates.
Promising to have my throat cut ...
My one-piece nylon garments were about two sizes too small and cutting into my butt.

and in one week, I was going to go on a mission to a tiny country in the arctic.

I was totally freaked out.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 01:06PM

The laughs inside really grew when I saw my handsome husband-to-be dressed as a clown.....and then it hit me, hey, you must look just as much the clown! (you know, couldn't see myself n all).

I never laughed out loud, not that brave, but oh, did I want to.

Posted by: rexburgtoaz ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 02:48PM

I held back a gasp the first time I heard Adam saying to God in the garden of eden "But the woman thou gavest me. She did partake of the fruit." Blame, blame, blame the woman. I always hated that part of the movie. And yet, it took me till I was 30 yrs old to leave the church.

Posted by: ddt ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 02:57PM

When I was sealed to my rents the only real memory I have is seeing my old man in his cult attire and I thought to my self....what a fool.

But what-the-hey, he's getting his own planet when he dies.

His planet will be the one without any signs of intelligent life.

Posted by: maddyb ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 03:06PM

I'm to young to do anything but baptisms, but that's sounds really freaky and weird and no wonder the adults aren't allowed to talk to us about it.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 03:18PM

I kept waiting for the meaningful part to start.

Posted by: INFO ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 03:39PM

I only ever did dead dunkings, but I have to say that I totally goofed off when adults weren't looking any time I went. Like the first time I went, they put me in a jumpsuit that had bell bottoms. This was in early 1988, a number of years before bells & flares were popular again. I walked around going, "Ding dong, ding dong," & telling stupid jokes making fun of how the leaders would tell you to only think of "spiritual" things in the temple.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: November 08, 2013 02:45AM

Back when I went through the temple, they threatened to cut your throat from ear to ear if you revealed the secret handshakes. That wasn't very funny.

Posted by: truthdelicious ( )
Date: November 08, 2013 02:49AM

I laughed my ass off one time with a friend from church in singles ward. One of the guys doing the veil looked like an old woman. I pointed this out to my friend and he had to cover his mouth not to laugh. It was torture trying to hold in the laughter. I felt so guilty. Then, when we got up to the veil, he was paired with this woman dude, and that's where I lost it. People gave me some dirty stares.

Posted by: mindog ( )
Date: November 08, 2013 02:56AM

I never did, but when we took my brother through before his mission, he looked like he was about to after we got to the celestial room. We all gave him looks to let him know that was not appropriate.

Posted by: yorkie ( )
Date: November 08, 2013 03:48AM

It was like sitting listening to a long boring joke waiting for the punchline, but the punchline never comes.....then you realise the joke's on you.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.