Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: stoppedtheinsanity ( )
Date: November 11, 2013 04:55PM

So, two dozen missing is nearly all now? ( so the salt lake trib reports)Since when? Oh since missionaries are disposable?

I was thinking they were going to report one or two missing but two dozen is a lot!

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57113453-78/missionaries-church-philippines-donate.html.csp

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2013 04:57PM by stoppedtheinsanity.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: eyesopen1 ( )
Date: November 11, 2013 05:10PM

Tacloban, the island hit the hardest, is not that big. So I wonder how many missionaries were assigned to that island in the first place? Two dozen missing .... so sad. I have friends in the Phillipines and they knew this storm was coming for many days - the church had time to ship all of the missionaries out of there.

Posted by: zarahemlatowndrunk ( )
Date: November 11, 2013 05:18PM

They knew for days the storm would hit in the area, but there is no way of knowing exactly where it would hit. To get all missionaries out of the way, they would have needed to do a lot more than just send a few dozen missionaries a little to the north or south.

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: November 11, 2013 05:25PM

I know, in order to know that kind of thing you'd have to be a prophet or a seer or something.

I guess those are on short supply these days.

Date: November 11, 2013 06:29PM

No argument there.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: November 11, 2013 09:28PM

Exactly...

Date: November 11, 2013 05:12PM

I think they're just trying to put the best spin on it as possible to keep parents with kids on missions from going hysterical. Two dozen is a lot, but considering the scale of what happened, it's not at all surprising that that number are unable to communicate. I'll continue to hope for the best.

Posted by: LabansWidow ( )
Date: November 11, 2013 06:50PM

I live in a cyclone area. The last category 5 we had days of warnings. We got on a plane and flew out, but seriously we could have got in a car and driven out. The cyclone front was 600km long. It's not the same as being hit by a tornado where is little or no advance warning.
The church should have had plenty of time to evacuate those missionaries by bus, air, boat or whatever. Probably could have got some local members out too.
Oh, but that would have cost $ and implied a lack of faith in God's protective powers.
As far as I'm concerned the church has shown a reckless, negligent disregard for their employees safety (ie the missionaries).

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: November 11, 2013 09:22PM

Killer screen name... sorry for your loss Sister Laban.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2013 09:22PM by Doubting Thomas.

Posted by: Tx2step ( )
Date: November 11, 2013 07:04PM

@ Stoppedtheinsanity:
Did they find your son? I read an earlier thread and I believe you mentioned you have a missionary there?
I'm so sorry.

Posted by: stoppedtheinsanity ( )
Date: November 11, 2013 08:50PM

No it wasn't me! I don't have any kids or family in the mission field. How awful for these families.

Posted by: strongandresilient ( )
Date: November 11, 2013 08:11PM

I am sorry, but the church has BILLIONS, and it would not have put a dent in their funds to ship HUNDREDS of missionaries out of there. I am new to all this wondering if I should leave the church crap, but damn if this isn't making me so sick to see it is all about money. I am so angry right now, as I have a dear friend on a mission, and the missionaries missing right now, are SOMEONE'S loved ones. So disgusted right now.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: November 11, 2013 10:08PM

Rich yes, but cash poor. They probably just blew all their liquid assets on the Florida deal.

Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: November 11, 2013 08:28PM

I hope the "lost" missionaries are safe. I'm glad they found most of them. Imagine how their parents must be feeling. :(

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: November 11, 2013 09:12PM

Just for a moment stop and think about 24 people. When's the last time you had 24 people in your house? Have you seen 24 caskets lined up? Twenty four is a huge number to be missing. Especially for a church with assets and connections. I'm sure it wouldn't have been a hardship on them to fly every single missionary out of the country for a few days until they knew what the aftermath would be. There's no excuse for any missionaries to have died or gone missing.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: November 11, 2013 09:22PM

It cements the surviving family members into the corporation, as leaving would dishonor their dead son or daughter.

But if it turns that many end up dying in one place, it could have the opposite effect. I do hope that they are safe, but it doesn't look good at this point.

They could have easily air lifted them out of the country. It appears that they were just sent a short ways away to higher ground.

A comment from a mission president I read on some news report said that the mission homes was severelyflooded with no power or services.

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: November 11, 2013 09:39PM

Did you notice the article warns people not to donate to shady organization?

What a joke.

The morg does not open its books and no one knows where the money goes.
They'd be about the last outfit anyone should trust.

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: November 11, 2013 09:48PM

"The advance warning for the storm provided time for the church to move missionaries to areas with adequate shelter. Church leaders previously reported that all the missionaries in the Tacloban mission had been moved outside of the city into safer areas. Each missionary also had been provided a 72-hour kit ahead of the storm." DN

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: November 12, 2013 06:30PM

So now the military is doing it, on the U.S. tax payer's money.
Plus, the missionaries are traumatized. Many will develop P.T.S.D., once they are over the initial shock of what they've experienced.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: November 11, 2013 10:48PM

Is reporting all missionaries in Phillipines are now accounted for.

http://www.kutv.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_8071.shtml?wap=0

Date: November 11, 2013 11:27PM

Wonderful news!

Date: November 11, 2013 10:52PM

Thanks Doubting Thomas. I like your handle too. I was really just having a go at the Nephi/Laban story. Actually I am a widow. My husband died 4 yrs ago, age 35.
Moving missionaries to " higher ground" is not an adequate response. If it was, there would not still be 24 missing.
Tacloban was not primitive. They did have an airport. The church could have got the missionaries out on regular commercial flights if seats were available. Otherwise they could have chartered planes to airlift them. And yes they could have airlifted every single missionary on the island, not just Tacloban. The church has billions of $.

Date: November 11, 2013 11:34PM

That is great that the missionaries are safe! I cannot think of anything worse that losing a child. Best wishes to the missionaries and their no doubt very relieved families.
PS I still think the church was reckless and negligent in not evacuating them all in advance.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: November 11, 2013 11:51PM

Are you all nuts?

Everyone knew about the storm days in advance. The missionaries left the area. There will be no dead missionaries. If you're heartsick about bad cell phone reception, sorry.

The people who had no money died.

Posted by: Happy Hare Krishna ( )
Date: November 12, 2013 01:04AM

No one "died" amongst the missionaries, according to KUTV. As mentioned above, KUTV reported that all missionaries (thank God!) have been accounted for. Good to know that they are okay and no doubt that their families must be relieved.

Link: http://www.kutv.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_8071.shtml?wap=0

That said, it would have been best if they were out of harm's way in the first place, if they could have gotten out of there in time. Best not to take a chance and hope that they will be okay.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.