Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 01:00PM

1,115,800,000 divided by 150 = cost of a temple.

2,000,000,000 divided by 1 = cost of City Creek in SLC (give or take a billion.)

http://www.templestudy.com/2009/10/16/temple-construction-costs-humanitarian-aid/
"If we had spent the humanitarian aid money we have since 1985 instead on temple construction, we could easily have over 100-200+ more temples throughout the world than we have now, essentially doubling the number we have taken 179 years to build, and providing the blessings of temple worship to many more of our members3. But our goal is not to just build temples, but to do what the Lord has commanded, “to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, to provide for the widow, to dry up the tear of the orphan, to comfort the afflicted, whether in this church, or in any other, or in no church at all”4."

I think the tapirs are Nephite and Lamanite horses makes more sense than what this guy is attempting. I think he is attempting to see how LDS Inc. having half of the temples it could have had is a sacrifice for the hungry, the naked, the widow, the orphan, and the afflicted.

How is that? Really? Would LDS Inc. be better focused on their purpose for existing for God by having double their number of temples now? Really? This person posted this in 2009 not 1909. They do realize that the better money is spent on living unendowed, possibly unbaptized people doesn't he?

Oh, what am I thinking. He's got "The Mormon Mindset." I've never had it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: November 14, 2013 01:16PM

Can't count the cost of The Jordan River Temple in the equation.

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/articles/facts/
"The Jordan River Utah Temple was the first temple whose construction and maintenance costs for many years were funded entirely by monetary donation from local members. The temple site was also a gift to the Church."

Posted by: joejoe50 ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 05:18PM

I remember giving them money because I'd be in that temple district. And later on when I moved closer to the temple, I met the man, an old farmer, who donated the site. A very good, humble, and faithful man. Deluded for sure, but completely faithful to the end. He actually called up Pres Kimball and told him he'd give them the land rather than having them buy land near the location of the Southtowne Mall where they'd first planned to build it. And they made the deal in the man's kitchen!

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 05:32PM

I think the 1,115,800,000 figure is the amount spent on humanitarian aid, not temples. However, the mormon math method doesn't mention that this figure represents only a few bucks a year per member.

In contrast, most families spend about 20 times that much per year on toilet paper. I did the math.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2013 05:32PM by Mormoney.

Date: November 14, 2013 06:01PM

Mormoney Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the 1,115,800,000 figure is the amount
> spent on humanitarian aid, not temples.

It is. The author of the blog was mentioning how many temples LDS aid could have bought over all those years instead of the aid it "bought." Really? People putting hygene kits together with their own money is probably counted. Like all those people would want temples instead of helping other people?

> In contrast, most families spend about 20 times
> that much per year on toilet paper. I did the
> math.

So true.

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 07:56PM

And those temples cost a fortune. I believe the 20 year maintenance cost is equivalent to the initial construction cost (I might be a bit off on that figure).

No wonder you hear constant reminders about attending the temple. The first thing a non-tithe payer thinks when s/he is told they should go back to the temple is how much back tithing they have to fork over in order to recite some cultish chants in bakers caps.

It dawned on me as I came to the realization that the church was a scam that temples are a monetary investment with an expected ROI. I knew that because when they built a temple in our area, I was almost motivated to start paying tithing again. Almost, but not quite. I thought the temple was some place I should go to, but I just didn't ever actually enjoy going.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2013 07:56PM by Mormoney.

Date: November 15, 2013 01:03PM

Mormoney Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And those temples cost a fortune. I believe the
> 20 year maintenance cost is equivalent to the
> initial construction cost (I might be a bit off on
> that figure).

I tried to find out this figure. So it is like 7,000,000 divided by 20?

$350,000 per year?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.