Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: November 17, 2013 11:48PM

--but can someone help me find a good non-LDS Bible class? One was recommended, with a teacher named "Sean," held somewhere near the University of Utah. Please help me find this. After a long hiatus from religion, and with Christmas coming up, I'm ready to find out how most Christians interpret the Bible. I only know how Joseph Smith interpreted it. This will be my final separation from that lying polygamous pedophile. (I'm an unaffiliated Christian, right now.)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jujubee ( )
Date: November 17, 2013 11:57PM

call local churches : )

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 12:02AM

Every denomination has its own spin.

Methuselah lived to be 969 years old. Some people believe that.

My kid (raised without religion) took a survey course in Christian belief/thought as part of his philosophy minor.

That's a more neutral approach than going to believers who will probably try to convert you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2013 12:03AM by Beth.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 12:01AM

Maybe a good Western Civ class? Basically Western Civ is the study of what western culture believes, and how they came to believe it. Just a warning, if you take your Christianity seriously, you may be upset to discover where some of your dearest beliefs actually come from.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 12:02AM

Shawn McCraney, the host of the now-cancelled show "The Heart of the Matter," used to teach a bible class on the U of U campus. He used to go between CA and Utah and I went to one of his bible classes once - he did a really good job. He didn't talk about anything anti-Mormon, unlike he did on his TV show. My husband went with me and after listening to Shawn's testimony of biblical Christianity, DH admitted that a Mormon testimony isn't any different than anyone else's testimony of their religion as far as "feelings" go. So I owe Shawn for that. But he moved to Utah full time a while ago - I assume he's the Sean you've heard about. I'd recommend his class but I don't know what he's like nowadays.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 12:06AM

What does a 'class' offer that reading/interpreting - for yourself - using your own intellect - doesn't?

Posted by: elderprice ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 12:15AM

Context, multiple viewpoints, exposure to and analysis of previous works that can be used as building blocks for expansion of a line of thought?

Date: November 18, 2013 12:27AM

Date: November 18, 2013 02:50AM

My reason, exactly. You said it better than I did. It is to broaden my understanding.

I took a class in Western European philosophy, and I loved it! It did include a lot about the history of Christianity. I've enjoyed studying Buddhism, too.

I think Shawn McCraney is the person I'm looking for! He did have a TV show.

Advent might be a great idea. I do miss the spirituality and worshipping that is part of Christianity. A Wednesday service would be nice, because I'm still Sunday chucrh-phobic--and you did say BRIEF, Armtothetriangle.

My family and I go to a Christian midnight service every Christmas Eve. This has been our tradition--even when we were Mormons. We are Christmas-lovers, and the candlelight service adds to the magic!

Date: November 18, 2013 02:57AM

Yes, an unbiased class, and/or an online class wouldn't trigger my Mormon PTSD. Being in a church, other than on Christmas Eve, makes me squirm. I sit by the door. Instead of personally attending churches, I have studied their beliefs first, and have eliminated a lot of them that way. Friends and meeting-times make a difference, and we church-hop. We enjoy the variety and flexibility.

But I'm still confused about Christ....

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 12:08AM

Go to Blue Bible on line or Blue letter bible.

Look for commentary by Chuck Misler.

Or look up Chuck Misler

He has good schoolarship behind him and explains a lot of the Bible references and interpetations.

He is also entertaining.

Back in the day, my sister gave his ministry a donation and had them send me a box of Bible cassettes. She explained how I was stuck in a Mormon town and wasn't getting the good word of the Bible! LOL!
She did it with my knowledge and consent.

I still have them. They are very good.
I'm sure he has lectures on you tube or somewhere.

Go for his Isaiah lectures! He can put mositure into that dry old text!

Posted by: finished ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 12:10AM

Might I recommend a Presbyterian church, part of the PCUSA (they are very accepting of all)? http://www.pcusa.org/ and find the closest one to you.

Date: November 18, 2013 12:15AM

Please don't jump out of the frying pan and into the fire. Please don't do a great church tour. I've been there, and it was not only a waste of my time but also unfulfilling.

Take some unbiased classes that approach the Bible as a book. That's a better starting point than with a pastor looking for congregants.

Posted by: armtothetriangle ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 01:46AM

For a class, try early European History. Wouldn't bother with World Religions at U of U. You're about to find out mormonism isn't a blip on the world radar.

Advent, the season before Christmas, begins December 1. Traditional denominations- Catholic, Lutheran, Presbyterian, Episcopalian, Methodist (chronological order)- often hold brief services or vespers on Wednesdays during Advent. Usually at least once the message will be that Christ was born in a stable and slept in a manger so that no one would feel too poor or lonely or dejected or dirty to approach Him, and we aren't to judge anyone as unworthy either.

Comparing tscc and traditional Christianity isn't an apples to apples comparison.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 04:43AM

Stay with one of the mainstream churches. Avoid the interpretation of the 7th Day Adventists, or the Jehovah's Witnesses. They are both as weird as the JS take. The 7th dayers have a false profit too (but a woman names Ellen White). Anyway, maybe go with one of the maind ones, Lutheran or Methodist or some others.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 04:43AM

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 04:55AM

I go to a Bible class and use a different translation from the others there - makes for a good discussion. Indeed, it increases understanding. Unlike TSCC where one only gets the view of TSCC, you can discuss different thoughts about passages and the class doesn't skip chapters and verses.

A good study group should have a variety of ideas as it increases knowledge.

Posted by: ddt ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 08:41AM

Read up on Emanuel Swedenborg's interpretations of the bible.

Keep in mind he could read Greek and Latin so he wasn't reading that KJV dribble.

Joe Smith even borrowed some of his teachings.

Posted by: UTtransplant ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 09:01AM

If you like audiobooks, there is an interesting one I just "read" about the beginning of the New Testament canon, the standardization of the Bible. Quite interesting and laid out in a historical context. I get mine from Audible.com and they have a series called Great Courses on lots of topics. I have listened to some about ancient life, Greek and Roman culture, and others.

It seems like you understand there are many Christians who know the Bible is not a historical book to take literally, like modern histories. Instead it is a book that illustrates many aspects of humans and God, using the vernacular of the times. The more I understand about the historical origins of the Bible, the better I understand it.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 09:54AM

The last time I went to another religious service all they did was talk about Mormons. If your goal is to get away from Mormon-centric thinking, make sure to be very selective. I don't think all non-Mormon religious people in Utah use Mormons as material for their religious activities, but every time I visit that seems to be the case. :/

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 10:08AM

The best classes I found were at the Calvary Chapel. Their motto is "It's All About Jesus," so it's like the antivenom for Mormonism.

Anti-Mormons Dennis and Rauni Higley are ministry leaders there and teach and "Understanding Mormonism Class" which is free and they are wonderful people. Rauni translated the temple ceremony, so she had to sit up close and notice details which most of us don't, like the fact that Satan's apron has exactly the same markings as Adam's. (who cares, right?)

This is where I first learned some of the darker origins of Mormon rituals and belief.

http://www.calvaryslc.org/Ministries/CommunityandClasses/UnderstandingMormonism.aspx

It is healthy to get out there and meet people of other faiths. You will find that there are good and bad among congregations just like anything else.

The exMormons who remain Christian and are the happiest with their Christian denominations are the ones who found a small local church. This includes Catholics. Small local parishes/churches seem to stay more connected to the needs of the people and the real message of Christ.

Maybe because there isn't so much money involved?

Best of luck in your search.

Anagrammy

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 12:42PM

I strongly recommend The Bible Geek podcast with Robert Price. It is a secular look at the Bible but he discusses the theology of various faiths and early Christians as well.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.