Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Catcher ( )
Date: November 24, 2013 07:51PM

Did anyone read this article about the three enslaved women that recently escaped in London? The discussion of brainwashing that kept them there when they could have escaped long ago reminded me so much of the LDS belief system and the hold it has on us also. So sad. So glad I'm out. Thoughts?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/10470319/The-radical-ideological-background-of-slave-women-suspects.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: November 24, 2013 11:09PM

"is finding that non-religious political beliefs can be just as powerful.”

Pulling a little out of context, I've sometimes found when I go to towns in Oregon that have a large "hippie" population you get the stink eye if you're seen eating a meat hamburger instead of "vegan" tofu food.

If you're walking down the street with a Pepsi in your hand, you're given a pitying look for drinking what "the establishment" wants to poison you with.

If you don't have the correct political sticker on your car these same hippies accost you and tell you off and claim all sorts of things about your alleged character.

If you're wearing clothes that are not "natural" you're seen as "one of them", "the others" that aren't as pure as the Hippies with their lofty ideals and lifestyle.

I have some hippie friends that I like very much, but they censor everything out of my mouth like a dammmMormon because they are scared I might say something "negative'.
They want to live a bubble of 'positive thoughts" just like the Mormon who only wants to talk about 'gospel' related subjects!

I found that some with the hippie mindset are just as controlling and condemning as any religious zealot who insist they have the 'right' way to live and you're a 'sinner' if you don't do as they say.

So cults hold their victims without external walls because they have built internal, invisible walls inside their victims mind.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 04:39PM

"So cults hold their victims without external walls because they have built internal, invisible walls inside their victims mind." stated by Mormon Observer is an excellent description of what cults outrageously accomplish.

I think the fact that you are dealing with a real live person and you do not see those strong invisible walls that are inside his mind gives you the false idea that he is his just like a regular person. However, when you proceed to engage with him like a regular John, well all hell breaks loose, you ask what just happened, and then it SLOWLY begins to sink in your head (that does not have those internal, invisible walls) that the rules are WAY different here.

I recently had this experience with someone in my family. I am now more of an enemy than I already was. It taught me to totally never underestimate how deep the cult can invade the mind and the power it holds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2013 04:40PM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 05:57PM

I brought the same question up on this board a couple of days ago and got some interesting responses:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1090344,1090344#msg-1090344

Poor missionaries.

Briggy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.