Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: toast ( )
Date: November 26, 2013 08:39PM

This may be true for members of the 70 and even for most of the apostles but I have a hard time believing that one or two apostles aren't 'assigned' something very specific to speak on. Any thoughts?

I'm sure in their meetings they must do some collaborating...

Pres. Monson: "Tithing is down someone should speak on tithing in conference, Elder Oaks can you address this topic?"

Elder Oaks: "Eh can't...already got mine prepared. Pulling one of my old talks back out, you know its important and people aren't understanding it so it must be repeated, 'Gay people are evil and ruining the world."

Pres Monson: "Oh gheez...son of a widow!! Uhhh.....Elder Bendar??"

Elder Bednar: "Yes Sir President Prophet Seer and Revelator Yes Sir!"

Pres Monson: "That'll do lad!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2013 08:42PM by toast.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: November 26, 2013 08:42PM

Collusion and assignment are different things of course!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 26, 2013 09:22PM

They are, however, written and submitted. BYU grad students of English proof the talks, making grammar changes only to those who are lesser than the Twelve. For the Twelve, they are only allowed to correct misspellings. Most of the reason for submitting in advance are for the teleprompter, and to get the talk translated in advance for the simultaneous "interpreter," who appears to be doing real-time interpreting, but is not.

A few apostholes have been allowed to not submit anything, because they would only speak off the cuff. The only ones I know about are Lagrand Richards and Joseph B. Wirthlin. Richards used to surprise everyone, and other GAs probably were white-knuckled as he spoke. (He was the one who admitted that the 1978 change in which Blacks could hold the priesthood was not a revelation. He probably just could not be dishonest.)

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: November 26, 2013 09:47PM

The apostles do have people that proof read their talks and make improvements, etc. (even though it's not BYU students).

I do think they really do choose their topics, although I'm sure they get together to make sure they're not repeating certain themes too much.

I have an earlier draft of an Apostle's General Conference talk, there were a number of differences in the real talk, although the general outline of it was the same.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 26, 2013 09:48PM

We need another J Golden Kimball.

At least the talks would be entertaining and memorable.

He said "some of the brethern stand up and say: I don't have any prepared remarks, but I pray that the spirit will guide my words; then they preach a wonderful sermon.

I say the same thing: Only God knows what I'll say today; and everyone laughs."

Posted by: jujubee ( )
Date: November 26, 2013 10:13PM

love him lol

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 26, 2013 09:55PM

My son translated several of the talks back a few years a go and he always got advanced copies so he could have them flow when the talks were given in conference.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 26, 2013 10:14PM

they don't need to be assigned anything to read a teleprompter.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.