Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: emily ( )
Date: December 07, 2013 04:30PM

So, I resigned from the church right around the time they made their official announcement about how it was okay to drink caffeinated sodas. Besides seeing my family once since then, I haven't been around Mormons so I don't really know how/if things have changed in their drink consumption.

I'm going home for Christmas in a few weeks and I now love drinking tea, specifically green and chai. I'll be staying at my parents' house and most likely will have a cup in the morning. I'm not worried about whether or not my parents approve of me drinking the tea, but I am curious whether or not it would be rude of me to offer them some? I know coffee is still out but has anyone seen a shift in member's attitude on tea?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lush ( )
Date: December 07, 2013 04:34PM

I was drinking iced tea at thanksgiving dinner at my tbm moms house. She couldn't stop giving me sh*t about how I shouldn't be drinking tea. Okay! this coming from a lady who has a ten year supply of soda pop in cold storage! not judging any soda pop drinkers I just cannot figure out how tea is bad and sugary soda pop is good

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2013 04:36PM by lush.

Posted by: emily ( )
Date: December 07, 2013 04:36PM

Yeah, once I left the church it really dawned on me how little sense it made for members to stay away from coffee and tea but it was okay for them to chug away at huge cups of sugary soda. Sooo many people in the ward I grew up in were addicted to soda. Yeah, real healthy.

Posted by: cynthus ( )
Date: December 07, 2013 06:15PM

My family has a genetic disposition to migraines. I didn't find out until I had left the church and gotten a coffee habit that caffeine can be good for migraines (not so much for those of you who get rebound headaches). I did find that I have less problems since I started to drink two-three cups of coffee a day.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: December 07, 2013 06:30PM

Hey cythus, I am SO glad you got some releif from migraines with coffee. I know my mother had 'withdrawal' migraines when she quit drinking it when she wanted to join tscc.

I get migraines too, and the only treatment that works is medication at the first twinge.

I hope you stay feeling better with coffee!

Since leaving tscc I haven't taken up drinking tea and coffee because I don't like them. Also I have been cautioned against caffiene by doctors because of my headaches. I am SO glad to hear it helped you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2013 06:32PM by fluhist.

Posted by: cynthus ( )
Date: December 07, 2013 06:44PM

I am on so much medication for my disease (Wegener's Granulomatosis) that I don't want to add another one. ;-) It is another genetic disease btw. Coffee works. Thank you--

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.