Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jujubee ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 10:51PM

wow, I can see minds being blown on fb because of the chuch's announcement regarding not allowing blacks the priesthood. some are thoughtful, others not so much...like my BIL saying the church never was racist, then saying he hates when people are against tscc (never mind no one was attacking, I guess the church is against the church now?) Then someone commented it's a testimony builder that people are against tscc. persecution is a sign of truthfulness.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: grubbygert ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 10:54PM

what they say: "the church never was racist"

what we hear: "we've always been at war with Eastasia"

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 10:59PM

Elder Alexander B. Morrison (Seventy):

"How grateful I am that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has from its beginnings stood strongly against racism in any of its malignant manifestations. (Ensign, Sept 2000, p 16)"

I wonder what Elder Morrison says now? Is he eating his hat?

Posted by: transylvania ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 11:08PM

Major defenses I'm finding are:

1 - All religions have baggage and/or racism in their path

2 - Prophets of old are weren't prefect either.

Frankly - Neither of those are defenses but clearly rationalizations.

To the first point:
True, all religions have baggage and/or racism, but not all are claiming to be the "one and only true true church" since "all others are false." Furthremore, if you truely want to make the all other religions have baggage/racism too argument, by default you're making LDS Inc just another religion.

To the second point:
-Were the other bible prophets preaching false doctrine?
-Were their teaching later revoked?
-And even if those bible prophets were flawed, how is compairing your flawed prophets the them making your LDS racism situtaion better and LDS prophets more divinely inspired?... Personally, I love seeing them defend their prophets by saying they're flawed and human.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 11:11PM

Some are downright hilarious:

OtterwithKids wrote in the comments section of the SLT article:

"So many people fail to understand the Book of Mormon in that sense. In Bedouin culture, “dark-skinned” is basically a slur referring to nomads, while “white-skinned” is the converse term applied to city-dwellers. A careful reading of the Book of Mormon shows that this is the most logical meaning that can be inferred.

Note that the skin colors mentioned throughout the book do NOT actually correspond to accepting or rejecting the gospel, but to whether or not one amalgamates him- or herself into the Nephite CULTURE."

AND ANOTHER:

"Back in 2002, my personal testimony told me that the Church was wrong about a certain issue, and I picked up the phone and called President Hinckley’s office. He apparently appreciated my input, because the policy was changed, shortly thereafter."

Here's another one of his gems:

"The truth or falsehood of the Church has nothing to do with Joseph Smith’s personal righteousness. Joseph could have been a Satanic murderer, and it wouldn’t automatically make the Church false."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2013 11:18PM by Senoritalamanita.

Posted by: BiohazardousSantaClaus ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 11:15PM

WOW.... Not that is some impressive mental gymnastics to deal with cog dis.

Date: December 11, 2013 11:35PM

This is my absolute favorite! Hahahahhaaaa:

"If the mormons are so racist dieter uchtdorf would not be in the first presidency."

I almost wet my pants with laughter.

Posted by: jujubee ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 11:36PM

BWAHAAAAHAAAA

Date: December 11, 2013 11:40PM

And this:

BlueGrayGnatCatcher asked:

"Is Dieter black, brown, yellow, red or purple?"

Reply by BlueGrayGnatCatcher :

"He's a kraut. And the fact that lots of Mos like him makes them open-minded and non-racist."

Posted by: tenaciousd ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 11:50PM

That "if we're racist no Dieter Uchtdorf" line is over-the-rainbow awesome.

Posted by: tenaciousd ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 11:59PM

20 years back? Saw "Schindler's List" with TBM relatives. Ten minutes afterwards SIL is comparing the 1830's & '40's "religious persecution" of the Mormons with the Holocaust.

SIL is German. She didn't, but in my mind I could imagine her saying "... and one of my uncles was killed in the Holocaust. It wasn't just the Jews, you know. Mormons died too."

"Really? How'd your uncle die in the Holocaust?"

(mild weeping here ...) "Uncle Franz fell out of a guard tower."

Date: December 12, 2013 12:18AM

I love your story tenaciousd!

Although I truly do feel sorry for Uncle Fritz.

Ironically my father guarded German prisoners of war after WWII ended when they were being processed out.

He learned a lot of German and shared a lot of cigarettes with them. I think he was all of 18.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2013 12:19AM by Senoritalamanita.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 11:30PM

I think Scientology is persecuted more than Mormonism so it must be the truest.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 11:32PM

Interesting how he fails to show just how one goes about acomplishing a "careful" reading of the BofM to come up with his nonesense. Does careful mean that one must read the words sort of slow, very slow, outloud, with black glasses on, at church rather than home, etc.etc.etc.

It would be interesting to meet OtterwithKids face to face and tell him why there are people who believe they have the facts to prove that Joey was a murderer and would he have any interest in looking into such info. One might have to run for their lives presenting this suggestion as I sorta, kinda think he might respond none to peacefully.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 11:51PM

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 12:10AM

These rationalizations are hilarious. Now we're going to see which TBMs are virtuosos at doubting their doubts.

You want to doubt some doubts? Take a look at everything Joseph and everything Brigham and show us what you got. Because once you see who they really were the only way you can stay Mormon isn't to doubt your doubts but to doubt your self.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2013 12:14AM by blueorchid.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.