Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: March 16, 2011 09:00PM

This just made my day. My dear friend Col. Moroni went to visit his oldest daughter in Utah County today. She and her family have not been active in the church for years.

She told her dad (Col. M.) that she is pretty good friends with 5 other mormon families on their same street, and that 3 of the five families have confided in her and her husband fairly recently that they are each getting ready to resign from TSCC very soon.

One of the DH's just needs to finish graduate school at BYU, and they are "DONE with the church", and one of the mom's said she and her husband are just "sick of the indoctrination that goes on", so they are resigning as well. He did not know the story on the third couple, but THREE families leaving on one block is some very good news for the day!

Also, just over 2 years ago I met a couple from Bountiful that left the church with their young family during the same year that 4 other families on their same block left as well. Maybe truth is contagious, I sure hope so!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2011 09:02PM by think4u.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Symboline ( )
Date: March 16, 2011 09:03PM

Great! And since they all live on the same street, hopefully this means they'll create a little support network amongst themselves so they won't have to worry about losing all their social connections because of the church.

Date: March 16, 2011 09:04PM

I know the one finishing a degree at BYU is a little older and getting ready to get out of Utah for good.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: March 16, 2011 09:52PM

++ good!

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: March 16, 2011 09:58PM

Date: March 16, 2011 10:36PM

AIDN- your post was so very beautifully written and moving. I barely got in on it, and am your last reply. Our stories are very similar, only I just turned 60, and I am guessing you are maybe closer to 45 or 50. My heart truly goes out to you. I have been there, in the depths of despair, and I really know how you feel, being rejected in the very same way, being rejected for God. My heartfelt best wishes go out to you. If you ever want to talk, get me your email or phone number. You are that rare person.

I just reread the post entitled "The Rare Person" and it was written by SLDrone- beautiful!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2011 11:32PM by think4u.

Posted by: sonflower ( )
Date: March 16, 2011 09:58PM

That is great news! God bless them all!

Posted by: D. Lamb ( )
Date: March 16, 2011 10:06PM

My sister and her family lives and Bountiful UT and they left the church. She tells me she has other friends who have confided in her that they would like to leave but don't have the courage as of right now.

Date: March 16, 2011 10:41PM

After I left the church, and was kicked out of my home, I went back one evening to get some personal belongings.

I decided to go for a walk that evening in the park by our home, as my ex was no where in sight.

While walking, I ran into my next door neighbor, a man about age 45 and he asked where I had been. I told him the truth, and how I was no longer a believer.

He was stunned, and proceeded to tell me that he as well no longer believed any of it, knew about all the lies and the coverup, but that he had to stay active or no one would play with his kids.

I would never have guessed, the man right next door!

Posted by: OMG ( )
Date: March 16, 2011 10:20PM

Good news. But those remaining in the ward will be scratching their heads for years wondering who caused such offense that three families would jeopardize their eternal salvation.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 16, 2011 10:47PM

OMG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good news. But those remaining in the ward will be
> scratching their heads for years wondering who
> caused such offense that three families would
> jeopardize their eternal salvation.

The other part of this, is that rumors can be turned into blaming people that had nothing to do with the families leaving the LDS Church. It happens!

Date: March 16, 2011 11:10PM

When I left I made SURE nothing like that would happen. I walked around the ward, a matter of blocks here in SL, and stopped and visited some of the sisters I knew best for the last time.

I openly told them that I had studied for years and no longer believed the church was true, and if they asked, I gave them a couple of reasons why.

I was not going to let anyone think I had been sinning or was offended, though they may have believed I was possessed.

It really pissed my grown TBM kids off that I did that, but I just thought it was the honest thing to do, and have never regretted it.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: March 16, 2011 11:18PM

They goes some trying been money.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: March 16, 2011 11:34PM

I think this is becoming more and more common among my age group. I grew up in Mesa, AZ and the majority of my friends who grew up in the church have left.

This is what happens when your church is run by old white male geezers dead set on keeping everyone in the 1950's.

The church sucks. Literally. Your time, money, spirit. It's not fun anymore. It's not spirituality fulfilling. Plus, being racist, sexist, and homophobic is simply not acceptable among my generation.

Date: March 16, 2011 11:53PM

BKP said the the enemies of the church that would try to destroy it would be the feminists, the intellectuals and one other group I cannot at the moment recall.

I believe he was absolutely wrong. If it EVER happens I believe it will mainly be because of the young people and the internet. Thank god for the youth, their intelligence , their curiosity , and their amazing internet skills.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2011 11:55PM by think4u.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: March 16, 2011 11:55PM

That other group...the evil homosexuals!

Date: March 17, 2011 12:03AM

Well, he may be right there, because I do think issues over gay rights could likely bring them to their knees, as more and more gay people feel free to "come out", knowing that there are millions just like them and that they need not be afraid to just be themselves.

As more and more church members have family members or friends that are gay, and as studies continue to prove that being gay is not a choice, but inherited, more and more people are now rejecting a church that does not treat equally all people, just as they were made to be.

Posted by: Nicolette ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 08:47AM

They are like modern amish. In 30 years, they will be reduced to small pockets of believers around the country.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 09:12AM

You hit the nail on the head right on!

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 02:25AM

Great news and I too like the fact they can support each other through the anger....I imagine they will have some laughs too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2011 02:25AM by honestone.

Posted by: Mateo Pastor ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 03:43AM

Similar things happen in the mission field: People join the church, make friends, learn more, start having doubts, share their questions with their friends, and lose their testimony together.

They come alone, and leave in small groups. Inbetween, most have been baptized, some even received a temple recommend, while others never end up in the statistics.

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 11:35AM

We can only hope.

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 11:53AM

is an RM and when he bends over at work it is just 'crack' no garmies. Another RM with a full beard. Another who loves the outdoors and will leave home over Sunday for outdoor activities. No looking for the local ward or better yet not traveling over Sunday as I used to see. They just don't seem to be worried about all the rules.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2011 11:54AM by mav.

Posted by: 87vetteguy ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 11:41AM

Goldenrule wrote:

"The church sucks. Literally. Your time, money, spirit. It's not fun anymore. It's not spirituality fulfilling. Plus, being racist, sexist, and homophobic is simply not acceptable among my generation."

Think4u wrote:

"As more and more church members have family members or friends that are gay, and as studies continue to prove that being gay is not a choice, but inherited, more and more people are now rejecting a church that does not treat equally all people, just as they were made to be."

I agree with both of those. Church for me got to be so bad, it left me worse off than when I started. While I do think there is time to be totally reverant and all, church should be a place to gather, have fun and do interesting things. It does none of it well. As a member of the GLBT . I am in the T part. It is one thing to mumble in passing, we are against the gays and leave it at that never to be mentioned but once in a great great while. Then only mumbling in ones own beard around no one. But to publically support an anti gay bill such as Prop 8, is just way over the top.

I just wonder, have any of the top leaders of the church ever been to a Gay Pride event of any sort? I doubt it. Most people there just wanna live and let live.

Date: March 17, 2011 12:29PM

Oh, I am a definitely an apostate, resigned membership and all.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2011 12:31PM by think4u.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.