Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: exittime ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 09:45AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Pyewacket ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 10:06AM

There's some wild denial going on there. Denial and misdirection.

Posted by: nailamindi ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 10:42AM

"The church isn't rich".

No numbers mentioned... hmmmm

Myth 2: "The Mormon Church is a Patriarchal Church and Women have No Say in Running the Church or at Home." uhhh, yeah, not a myth. Not sure what church this woman goes to anymore. You'd think she'd never opened up her conference ensign issue to the middle page displaying the mormon pyramid of old white* dudes.

oh, and she forgot one:
*Myth 11: The Mormon church is for white people.

Reply: Not true! Didn't you guys see the press release last week? We totally disavow all racism. And we have, like, TWO black dudes in general authority positions. We're not really sure where this myth came from ;) I don't believe we teach that.

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 10:46AM

Pshhh. All one has to do is quote scriptures, recent Conference talks, and the Proclamation on the Family to refute everything she says.

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 10:49AM

Wow, that blog has so many mistakes. Here is my analysis of the 10 myths:

1. Mormons cannot have any Type of Caffeine

This can be true or false depending on where you live.

Myth Confirmed.

2. The Mormon Church is a Patriarchal Church and Women have No Say in Running the Church or at Home

TSCC is definitely patriarchal. Women can only hold positions of power over other women. Women have no say in running the church. Women do have a say in running the home, but the husband has the final say because he is head of the household.

Myth Confirmed.

3. Mormons Vote as a Block

Historically this has been the case and statistically is still the case.

Myth Confirmed.

4. Mormons Blindly Follow (insert) Prophet, Bishop, Father, Husband.

"When the prophet speaks the thinking has been done"

Myth Confirmed.

5. Crazy Stuff Happens in Mormon Temples

Lots of words can be used to describe the activities at the temple. Most of them are synonyms of crazy.

Myth Confirmed.

6. Mormons Still Practice Polygamy

Men can be sealed to more than one wife in the temple as long as the first wife is deceased.

Myth Confirmed.

7. Mormons are not Christian

This one is debatable. Christians don't think mormons are christian, but mormons are more christian than Jews or Muslims.

Myth Plausible.

8. Mormons Don’t Believe In the Bible

Mormons believe in the literal truth of the bible more than most christians do. That was NOT a compliment.

Myth Busted.

9. The Mormon Church is Rich

"Let's go shopping!"

Myth confirmed.

10. Mormons Know How to Network

"Not a myth", so why include it in a list of 10 myths? Sheesh, where do they get these people from?

Overall, one myth was correctly busted out of 9 myths. Minus one point for including something that isn't a myth gives a total score of 0 out of 10.

Posted by: armtothetriangle ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 12:15PM

The Invisible Green Potato Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow, that blog has so many mistakes. Here is my
> analysis of the 10 myths:

> 8. Mormons Don’t Believe In the Bible
>
> Mormons believe in the literal truth of the bible
> more than most christians do. That was NOT a
> compliment.
>
> Myth Busted.

Factually, Mormons believe in the Bible 'as far as it has been correctly translated', (I've forgotten the exact quote on this), meaning as long as the Bible doesn't conflict with or contradict any of the Standard Works outside of the KJV- the BOM, D&C, and PoG. In doctrine and practice, Mormons regard the BOM, D&C, and PoG as more accurate and useful than the Bible.

Myth mostly confirmed.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 01:50PM

Doctrinally, the church believes the Bible to be true as far as it has been translated correctly...this is from the articles of faith. I think Potato was referring to the fact that the church believes the old testament to be a literal history...the earth is 6,000 years old, Adam and Eve are historical figures, the flood, tower of Babel, etc... If they ever back down on these fundamentalist beliefs, they throw out the BoM, the temple, Joseph Smith (false prophecies about MO), etc...

Date: December 12, 2013 06:58PM

That is exactly what I meant Chump. Although in principle the other standard works are considered to be more accurately translated than the bible, in practise they rarely contradict the bible, if at all. In most cases the other standard works lock the morg into a literal interpretation of the bible.

I know of religions that only have the bible as scripture and consider the whole old testament to be full of allegorical stories with a moral purpose (an honest description would be fairy tales).

Date: December 12, 2013 09:00PM

Invisible Green: "Although in principle the other standard works are considered to be more accurately translated than the bible, in practise they rarely contradict the bible, if at all."

This is incorrect. The BOM, D&C and PoG contradict the Bible in many places, hence "the church believes the Bible to be true as far as it has been translated correctly," ie, any and every place the laws and the ordinances of tscc contradict the bible, the bible was mistranslated. The entire premise of "the restored gospel" is that it supplants both the bible and the teachings and practices of churches prior to "the restoration."

I realize from your posts you're atheist or agnostic, but let's spare the debate tonight and look just at the "myth 8, Mormons don't believe in the Bible." From Deuteronomy (The Lord our God, the Lord is one), to Isaiah (I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God, and, I am the Lord, and there is no other; apart from me there is no God), to John (I and the Father are one), to Ephesians (By grace you have been saved through faith. This is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast), to Galatians (There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus, and, Even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.. so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed), to Matthew, Mark and Luke (For when they rise from the dead, they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven), and in more places than I remember, JS always trumps the Bible, as do any utterings of subsequent mormon prophets. Again, it's the basis of "the restoration."

The devil in me also wants to point out Ephesians (Put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another), and 1 Timothy (No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach and your frequent ailments.)

So, Mormons believe in the Bible ONLY when it doesn't contradict any of the doctrines of tscc. Myth confirmed where it counts.

Micah is another significant conflict- What does the Lord require of you? To do justice, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Okay, kick my TBC a$$, I'm used to it. ;-)

Date: December 12, 2013 11:23PM

Armtothetriangle, I realise that there are a lot of doctrinal arguments that can be made to show that TSCC doesn't believe in the bible. The problem is that the arguments are weak and can be countered with more doctrinal claims. So it comes down to whose doctrine you believe, which cannot be objectively determined.

The bible says that there is only one god. But then it says that god the father had a son called Jesus who was also a god. But since there is only one god, the father and the son must be noodly appendages of the same identity. The holy ghost is another noodly appendage too. Plus you said everyone is one in Christ. So are we all noodly appendages? Then there is the devil, who has supernatural god like qualities but is not a god. Then there are the angels both on God's side and Stan's, all of whom posess supernatural powers but are not gods. If you define a god as any identity with supernatural powers then Christianity is very polytheistic despite its monotheistic claims. My point is that "one" in the bible cannot be taken at face value, which gave JS room to insert his own interpretation.

As for grace, it is a little unclear in the bible as to how much grace saves people vs works. It says that faith without works is dead somewhere... I assume it is the bible? Either way it makes sense. You shouldn't be saved just for giving lip service to Jesus. I agree that wearing magic underwear is taking the "faith without works" idea WAY too far, but I don't think it directly contradicts the bible. Jesus still saves mormons through a tiny bit of grace since no-one could possibly do everything asked of them by TSCC.

TSCC always claim that they preach the true gospel. So where it talks about not listening to other gospels in the bible, mormons believe they are following the bible.

Mormons can also claim to believe in parts of the bible that other religions ignore. "There are other sheep that I shall bring to the fold", for example, or "why then are they baptised for the dead, if the dead rise not at all".

You may well interpret the bible correctly and mormons may interpret it incorrectly, but that is not the point. The point is that mormons, in good conscience, believe that the bible is essentially true just as strongly any other christian believes in it.

Date: December 12, 2013 11:59PM

"Jesus still saves mormons through a tiny bit of grace since no-one could possibly do everything asked of them by TSCC."
AMEN AMEN (Take that any way you want.)

"Mormons can also claim to believe in parts of the bible that other religions ignore. 'There are other sheep that I shall bring to the fold', for example, or 'why then are they baptised for the dead, if the dead rise not at all'."
The "other sheep" was interpreted from the beginning of Christianity to mean those outside of Judaism, ie, Gentiles. And pagans. Ironic Joe put a different spin on it. "Baptised for the dead" is less straight forward. Resurrection isn't unique to Juedo-Christian beliefs; north of Corinth the Eleusisians practiced baptisms on behalf of the dead to ensure a good afterlife, and the common interpretation is they are the "they" Paul used rather than writing "we practice."

But honestly, this isn't a theological debate. If you have any experience with mormonism, you know the BOM, PoG and D&C are the cannons, and they are always acknowledged and followed ahead of the Bible.

Posted by: FormerMichiganGal ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 12:23PM

The writer of the blog *IS* delusional. Last I heard, Muslims and Jews don't consider themselves Christians and the majority of the Christian churches don't consider Mormon's Christian. Mormon God is not the God of the Bible, according to the Christians.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 11:12AM

Nothing quite like broadcasting to the world that you're delusional and lack any ability to think critically... "going like a lamb to the slaughter."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2013 11:12AM by Bite Me.

Posted by: Ex-cult member ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 11:13AM

"It doesn't make money for itself." Wow this woman sounds nice but she sure is misrepresenting ldsinc. So many things wrong in here essay. She could at least try and spin the truth.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 11:15AM

My comment.

I’m sorry, I have to address some mistakes made in this article. As an ex-Mormon who has left the church, I have spent a lot of time studying my old faith. Actually, it was studying my old faith that made me an ex-Mormon.
First, the church is rich. I live in northwest Florida, where the church just spent half a billion dollars to purchase several hundred thousand acres of lumber land, across three counties. They now own 2 percent of the State of Florida (they already own a couple hundred thousand acres near Orlando that is used as a cattle ranch). Rather or not the church has good reasons to make such a purchase, having a half billion dollars worth of expendable funds, is the very definition of rich. Google Mormon St. Joe land deal, if you do not believe me.
Second, the elderly leadership that his helped out with the basic living costs. Thomas S. Monson, who has been an employee of the church his entire life, owns two large expensive homes in the Salt Lake area. In fact, a quick inspection of Utah property records reveals that the prophet, his two counselors, and all the members of the 12 apostles own a considerable amount of personal real estate. There is also other evidence that each one receives considerable compensation for their work for the church. Money, that according to a revelation received by Brigham Young, they don’t have to pay tithing on. They may not be paid for being apostles, but they do receive considerable salary for being on the board of directors of the church corporations. This is a point that the church is uncomfortable with sharing, so it is normally not discussed in Mormonism. In fact, discussion of how the top leaders of the church are compensated for their time is actively discouraged, and you can even be excommunicated for disclosing such information.
My final point is about nothing weird going on in the temples. That is a matter of opinion. It is probably true that temple rituals are less strange to outsiders today, than they were in the 90s when I went through, or the 80s before the reformation of the temple rituals began. It used to be common practice to be naked during a ceremony called the washings, and prior to when it was changed in the 90s, men performed the ordinances are both male and female candidates. Mormons now get to cover up with a white poncho, as temple workers spread oil and water on their semi-naked bodies with water and oil. Why did the author not mention this? Because she took an oath, on pain of losing her salvation, to never discuss this ceremony outside the temple. Prior to the reforms in the 90s, there were even death oaths, where Mormons swore to have their throats slit, and guts disemboweled for revealing these things. BTW, some members of the polygamist FLDS cult have been murdered in such a manner in years past, though there is no evidence the the modern Mormon church has killed anyone since the days of Brigham Young.
- See more at: http://marocmama.com/2013/12/mythbusting-10-mormon-misconceptions-mormonmuslimmoms.html#comment-31320

Somehow I don't think I am going to make it past moderation.

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 11:52AM

I posted too I doubt our comments will post after moderation

Posted by: Schaffner ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 11:56AM

The initiatory work for women was done by women, and for men by men. You'll need to correct that.

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 12:16PM

"The initiatory work for women was done by women, and for men by men. You'll need to correct that."
Actually at first Men did the initiatory for women but this was so abusive to the women it did not last long

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2013 12:17PM by Demon of Kolob.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 01:53PM

I've never heard that. Wife No. 19 even says that the washings for women were performed by women...this was in the old endowment house when the washings were performed in a bath tub and you were doused in oil.

Date: December 13, 2013 12:03AM

I thought it was a recent change. My apologies, it totally is not weird now.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 11:53AM

..."http://maroc O'mama.com"..........................

Posted by: Bert ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 12:27PM

O.K. Let me see here. Number 10
Mormons do know how to network. Just try and do business with, or for, or work with, or for someone when your not a member...A.K.A. In the Network.

Number 9
The Mormon church is a very well run corporation. They just don't share any of what they make. At least that I am aware of.

Number 8 and 7
Mormons may believe in Jesus Christ. But they worship Joseph Smith. And Mormons miss a big one here. If you claim to have the only true record and statement of Christ why do you still need the bible and even more texts. You should only need the bible if you are Christian. I will not go into the holes in the BOM. (It's a great work of fiction!)

Number 6
The polyg thing. Just come to Utah. Yeah I know temple wrights and all but polygamy is practiced openly here.

Number 5 Rituals are Rituals. I do think its a kick in the head to have myself or a family member baptized after I'm dead, into a church I wanted nothing to do with when I'm alive. Just say'n.

Number 4 I got to laugh at this one. A Mormon can ONLY do what they are told to do. And they better not disobeye. Yes Mormonism is a monolith.

Number 3 See number 4

Number 2 I like this one. I observe that the only real decision a woman makes in the Mormon church is when to....wait, she has no authority.

Number 1 Caffine? You'll never find a more unhealthy group of relatively educated adults in the U.S. I don't know where to start here. Only to say that once the church owns it it becomes o.k. See Coca Cola as an example.

Posted by: herswansong ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 12:28PM

notice how she COMPLETELY leaves out anything about the endowment ceremony when talking about the temple? she mentions sealings and baptisms for the dead, but completely leaves the extra crazy stuff out. and last time i checked, the fig leaf apron isn't white, it's green.

Posted by: exmo101 ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 02:39PM

Well, "the Patriarch" thing, I experienced that load of crap statement over Turkey Dinner . My FIL going about him being the "Patriarch" of the family. (I'm a woman), but still I'm shaking my head and mouthing the word "NO". No way in hell would I remotely trust the man to be Patriarch over me or my family. He lives in his own very Deluded world. I Never go to him for advice, I avoid asking him for help -at all costs- can't trust him to tell the truth, etc. Patriarch? My ass!

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 04:02PM

Hate to say it, but most of your points are wrong. You are in denial.
1. No caffeine. You’re not allowed Coca Cola, yet you’ll drink it in extremely copious quantities and still say that herbal tea is wrong, even though there’s no caffeine in it.

2. When was the last time a woman was the “Prophet, Seer and Revelator” in the church? Women are told to obey their husbands and not seek more power.

3. Most Mormons vote as a block, and they sneer at Mormons who vote Democratic.

4. “When the Prophet has spoken, all thinking is done.” Sound familiar?

5. How about baptism for dead Jewish Holocaust victims? Several times the hierarchy has promised to stop the practice (which happens in your temples) and yet the practice continues to this day. For instance, Anne Frank was baptized for the 9th time in 2012. Now according to your doctrine, Mormons can only baptize their own progeny or progenitors. Considering that in Anne Frank’s case there are none of those remaining, explain how she was baptized 9 times already? And that’s just ONE example.

6. When was D&C 132 rescinded? Polygamy is still allowed, and as to the original form of Mormonism, only the FLDS truly practice TRUE Mormonism as Joseph Smith did.

7. Mormons don’t worship Jesus; their prophet is Joseph Smith. And what about the fact that you call the Roman Catholic Church “the great and abominable whore” or “the great and abominable Satan?” How about the fact that many Mormons in Utah prayed that the newly-elected President Obama should have been shot instead of his becoming president in 2009? Not very Christian or Christ-like of you, is it?

8. You don’t believe in the Bible; you use the Book of Mormon instead, plus which, you don’t even look at the original version of the Bible – the JEWISH version. Try reading it sometime.

9. Oh, yes, the corporation which calls itself the Church is rich. A $5 billion (US) mall in Salt Lake City? The money came from tithing, but the corporation lies and denies. The Church is the largest private holder of land across the US. TRUTH.

10. Network? Assigned friends, talking only about church and ward and calling . . . when was the last time you had a REAL conversation with someone who wasn’t a Mormon? About current events, for instance?

You want to know more? Contact me.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: December 13, 2013 09:06AM

that it didn't survive.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 08:02PM

LOL, one of my TBM friends just posted this with the comment of "Educate yourself!"

I am so attempted to comment back.

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 08:18PM

...or a flat liar.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 08:52PM

Everytime Mormons tell everyone how darned normal they are, they just confirm how cognitively detached they are. The grass is blue and the sky is green. Heck, everyone knows that.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 08:54PM

What that blogger is saying just goes to show what I said in my other post - That everything in the cult is arbitrary.

Posted by: capitolmoroni ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 09:26PM

Mormons Still Practice Polygamy

Uh lds ain't the only mormons. So she has this wrong.

That's like saying only UT Austin are the only U of Texas grads. UTSA and UTA don't count? They are all UT, just like flds, lds, aub are all mormon.

Posted by: transylvania ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 10:14PM

10 Things this blogger probably doesn't know about Mormonism.

1- Joseph Smith was a treasure hunter.
2- The Book of Mormon says Indians were Jewish.
3- Masonic rituals inspired Mormon rituals.
4- Mormons were the victims of genocide.
5- Joseph Smith’s wife threatened to take multiple husbands.
6- Mormons agreed to leave the U.S.
7- The U.S deployed troops to subdue the Mormons.
8- Mormons massacred 120 innocent pioneers.
9- Mormons owned brothels in Salt Lake City.
10- Mormon banks financed mob-owned hotels and casinos in Las Vegas.

From the History Channel

https://dadsprimalscream.wordpress.com/2012/04/16/10-things-you-dont-know-about-the-mormons/

Date: December 12, 2013 11:25PM

Concerning #4, this from Wikipedia:

While Executive Order 44 (October 1838) is often referred to as the "Mormon Extermination Order" due to the phrasing used by Boggs, no one is known to have been killed by the militia or anyone else specifically because of it. There were, however, other associated deaths: the militia and other state authorities used Boggs' missive as a pretext to expel the Mormons from their lands in the state, and force them to migrate to Illinois. This forced expulsion in difficult, wintry conditions posed a substantial threat to the health and safety of the affected Mormons, and an unknown number died from hardship and exposure. Furthermore, a group of men and boys were killed by Livingston County militia in the Haun's Mill massacre three days after the order was issued; however, there is no evidence that the militiamen had any knowledge of it, nor did they ever use the order to justify their actions.

The backdrop was First Counselor Sidney Rigdon's 4th of July, 1838 speech:
"We take God and all the holy angels to witness this day, that we warn all men in the name of Jesus Christ, to come on us no more forever. For from this hour, we will bear it no more, our rights shall no more be trampled on with impunity. The man or the set of men, who attempts it, does it at the expense of their lives. And that mob that comes on us to disturb us; it shall be between us and them a war of extermination; for we will follow them till the last drop of their blood is spilled, or else they will have to exterminate us: for we will carry the seat of war to their own houses, and their own families, and one party or the other shall be utterly destroyed.—Remember it then all MEN."
(Bring yours, we'll bring ours and we'll see who has more guns.)

More from Wiki: Far from settling tensions, Rigdon's oration had the opposite effect: it terrified and inflamed the residents of surrounding counties. By the Fall of that same year these tensions escalated into open conflict, culminating in the looting and burning of several Mormon farms and homes, the sacking and burning of Gallatin by Mormon "Danites", and the taking of Mormon hostages by a militia unit commanded by Cpt. Samuel Bogart, operating in northern Ray County (to the south of Caldwell). When Mormon militia from the town of Far West moved south to the militia camp on the Crooked River to rescue their co-religionists, the resulting battle aroused considerable terror throughout the western part of the state. Lurid rumors of a planned full-scale Mormon invasion of Missouri had run rampant throughout the summer, and these only increased as reports of this "Battle of Crooked River" reached the capital at Jefferson City, with spurious accounts of Mormons allegedly slaughtering Bogart's militia company, including those who had surrendered. Further dispatches spoke of an impending Mormon attack on Richmond, county seat of Ray County, though in fact no such attack was ever contemplated. It was in this environment of fear and misinformation that Boggs chose to act.

When I hear or read "genocide", the Holocaust comes to mind, and the Armenians in Turkey, the Tutsis in Rwanda, the exterminations by the Khmer Rouge, the Dzungars in China, the Poles in Galicia and Volhynia , the Muslims of Caucasus. More Cherokees and Choctaws died on The Trail of Tears by a couple of orders of magnitude than in all of the "Mormon persecutions." I don't condone the religious persecution of any group, however, to state "Mormons were the victims of genocide" is inaccurate historically.

Date: December 13, 2013 12:08AM

You have to be a unique part of the gene pool in order to be genocided. The Mormons were not even really seriously threatened with extermination either. If you read the order, it was more of a eviction notice then anything else. Still an injustice, but only because all the Mormons had to suffer for the sins of their leaders, who deserved the noose.

Posted by: tomie ( )
Date: December 13, 2013 12:34AM

Ok, I'd like to rebuke some of her comments about perceived myths. These aren't myths, but seem pretty truthful in my experience.

The Mormon church IS a Patriarchal Church & Women Have NO Say In Running the Church or at Home.

All the leadership roles are held by men, even the relief society pres. & primary pres. report to men. I've heard women tell their young children that their father is the head of the home. When I was in the church I told a woman what church I attended & she was surprised I attended that church because they were such a patriarchal church.

Mormons Vote as a Block.
Prop. 8 anyone. All the Mormons I've known vote republican.

Mormons Blindly Follow, Prophet, Bishop, Etc.
Yes They Do.

Crazy Stuff Happens in Temples
Yes. Why do some people go once then leave the church?

Mormons Still Practice Polygamy
Yes, because men are sealed to more than one woman. This means they'll be married to more than one woman in eternity.

Mormons Aren't Christian
They say they are, but I've seen a lot of unChristian behavior.

Mormons Don't Believe in the Bible.
They DO focus on the Book of Mormon.

The Mormon Church Isn't Rich
Yes, they are. I can't believe how naive some members are.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.