Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nevermodc ( )
Date: December 15, 2013 11:01AM

With this recent decision, I need to make sure I am talking about polygamy right in regards to the LDS church. (Not the FLDS church.)

The decision, handed down Friday evening by U.S. District Court Judge Clark Waddoups, struck down a Utah law equating cohabitation to polygamy. The law was the primary instrument available for prosecutors to use against polygamists in Utah, where fundamentalist Mormons performed religious but not legal marriages between one man and multiple women.

1. True or false?: the modern LDS church has not formally renounced polygamy.

When I looked at lds.org it said it excommunicates members who practice and explains the tortured history during the 1800s. What is does not do is say that polygamy as a practice is no longer acceptable doctrine, nor will it ever formally do so.

It won't do so because (as this is where I want to make sure that I am right) because of D&C 132 and the belief that in the arterlife men can inherit their own planets, become godlike, and have multiple wives in the afterlife.

Does your average TBM believe this? Does your average TBM think "polygamy is not game in this mortal life but in the afterlife its a different story?"

If this is true, that the modern LDS church and its members, still believe in polygamy in the afterlife, why is this not a bigger story?

Can someone please help me understand and perhaps phrase it better so that a nevermo fully understands and can share this nuance?

Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ness ( )
Date: December 15, 2013 11:10AM

1. True or false?: the modern LDS church has not formally renounced polygamy.
~
True. They still believe God commanded the early prophets to practice polygamy, and polygamy is acceptable if God commands it.

It won't do so because (as this is where I want to make sure that I am right) because of D&C 132 and the belief that in the arterlife men can inherit their own planets, become godlike, and have multiple wives in the afterlife.
~
Bingo.

Does your average TBM believe this? Does your average TBM think "polygamy is not game in this mortal life but in the afterlife its a different story?"
~
The average TBM believes in polygamy. If they say they do not, ask them what happens if a man marries a woman in the temple, she dies, and he remarries another woman in the temple. They will BOTH be his in the next life. The same does not happen for women.

Posted by: nevermdodc ( )
Date: December 15, 2013 11:12AM

ness thank you for your help. Excuse me while I chuckle uncontrollably for a while.

Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: December 15, 2013 12:03PM

I thought there was polyandry.

Women who are dead and already sealed to one man can be proxy sealed to a different man while their initial sealing remains intact, right?

Become "gods" not "godlike."

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: December 15, 2013 12:10PM

Well you see, a long time ago, the church was ruled by horny men. This is pretty hard to understand, since today it's ran by feeble old men, but at one time it was the Lord's plan to have guys full of energy, youth, and sperm, calling the shots. Well, some of these guys, starting with Joseph Smith, thought it would be a great idea if they were allowed to stick their dicks into as many holes as possible. So after praying very hard over the matter, God revealed to Joseph Smith, and absolutely no one else, that it was okay for the leaders of the church to sleep with as many women as they wanted, and that the women had to go along with it. For some reason, God never told them women directly, but that's okay, because why would men ever lie to women about sex?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.