Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SmithScars nli ( )
Date: December 15, 2013 09:40AM

So according to this Salt Lake Tribune article, the Utah laws against polygamy could be ruled ad unconstitutional and make it easier for polygamists in Utah

I have two questions for you keeping in mind d&c 132... the new and everlasting covenant

#1 if polygamy was legalized do you think the Mormon church will allow it again

#2 why does the church not allow polygamists to be baptized in countries where polygamy is legal?

I realize that it's probably a P.R. thing but it doesn't make a lot of sense because they still have section 132 in the d&c and Joseph Smith seems to trump out all other prophets.

http://m.sltrib.com/sltrib/mobile3/57264020-219/church-polygamy-mormon-says.html.csp

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: not logged in (usually Duffy) ( )
Date: December 15, 2013 09:58AM

I don't know if anti-polygamy laws will be removed, but I hope not for the sake of women who would get coerced into a lifestyle that is not in their best interest and makes them feel like chattel (or even cattle). Nothing I've seen about the FLDS makes me think that widespread polygamy is a good idea and there seems to be a large dose of forcing women into it that sickens me. That family on Sister Wives seems to all be happy with it and maybe that's okay if it's what they all want and their eyes are open. (I don't know that that is the case - I've only watched the show once.)

I think it would be very interesting for TSCC if polygamy became legal. D&C still clearly says that polygamy is required to reach the top of the CK. They would be forced into a spot where they would have to deny their scriptures (and Joe Smith et al) or they would have to start practicing it again which would drive away any women left in the group who have a working brain. Also it would be interesting for all those people who have been screaming that mormons don't practice polygamy. They've been hiding their history behind the law. They try to make it sound like they'd never do it again. But if it were perfectly legal? Interesting dilemma for them!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 15, 2013 10:09AM

Doesn't matter why. They gave it up and say the Lord no longer wants it.

No, they won't go back to it and they'd be stupid to officially allow it in the US or anywhere else because it would make them look freakish.

Silly to say polygamy is banned in Utah when 100,000 polygamists live there unmolested.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2013 10:14AM by Cheryl.

Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: December 15, 2013 10:24AM

#1. Yes, I think if polygamy was legalized, and socially accepted, the church would practice it again. Not straight away though. I reckon they'd maybe wait a decade before bringing it back.

#2. The church's reason for stopping polygamy was because God said so, and that would apply to the whole church.

I think the church would want to practice polygamy if they could, because it means the church grows much faster, with so many children getting born.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 15, 2013 11:02AM

Recently, Tom Phillips mentioned that he knew of a polygamous wife in Africa who was baptised into the church. Is it possible that they allow the wives to be members, but not the polygamous husbands?

Also, doesn't this new interpretation of the law also help FLDS to continue in their sexual abuse of young girls? And at the base of that problem, is it because of the lax laws on polygamy, or the fact that in Utah, the FLDS are related by blood to many LDS leaders and Utah lawmakers? Is that why Texas is more successful in working the problem?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.