Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: December 15, 2013 07:11PM

As a teen, I thought it was a good idea. Our YW and YM groups both put in money to buy presents for the less fortunate. We wrapped them up and then about a week before Christmas we took them over to the persons house. I can't imagine how horrified the family was when 20-some white people showed up at their door unannounced. Yes, they were grateful for the gifts and very nice, but did we really need to see the inside of their home and intrude like that? What happened is that we went away feeling all special and holier than thou, while the people we "gifted" probably felt humiliated and embarrassed. Why can't Mormons get a clue?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: December 15, 2013 08:29PM

We did it once as a Seminary Council. Boy was that awkward as we delivered the gifts.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: December 15, 2013 08:44PM

My dad & someone else did this for a family in the ward when he was still active. The parents in this family were frequently separated because the father was a total abusive dick who made most people uncomfortable. Yes, this dude was active at the time too, but I later found out that he should have been straight up exed for all kinds of things.

So, my dad & whoever else gets over to their house, & low & behold, the dad is there. My dad said thst their tree was twice as big as ours, & that they had at least 2-3x as many gifts as we had. It was very embarrassing, & the dad of that family hated my dad, & threatened him a few times. I think the dad had put everything on credit cards.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: December 15, 2013 09:39PM

I remember doing this as a YW. One experience stands out for me. The YM/YW went to drop off gifts and a box of food for an elderly couple in our ward that no one knew because they were inactive. We all crowded into their tiny one bedroom apartment and watched as they opened their gifts from us...garments. According to a leader, it was something they said they needed and I lived in an area where they probably had to be ordered. But seriously, it was the most awkward moment for all involved and something I obviously still remember.

Posted by: zarahemlatowndrunk ( )
Date: December 15, 2013 09:44PM

It's a nice idea when it isn't improvised and projecty. Coming from a home where high school is as far as either of my parents got, and the matching income, (for a family of six) the boxes of food left anonymously were most certainly appreciated and put to good use. But it was from people who actually knew enough about our situation and genuinely wanted to help with no strings attached. If I was getting random presents with spiritual messages to guilt me back into attending meetings, it would be a lot less welcome.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: December 15, 2013 09:54PM

I had an elderly relative who moved into a new apartment in the fall one year. She was a kind widow and her neighbors quickly became fond of her. When the holidays came, her neighbors noticed she didn't have a Christmas tree, so they put some money together, bought and decorated a small tree. When they presented it to her, she accepted their gift graciously and thanked them for thinking of her.

She didn't have the heart to tell them she was Jewish.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.