Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rowell ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 06:06PM

It looks like John Dehlin is starting up another Mormon community.

http://www.progressivemormons.org/about/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 06:16PM

Oh LDS "living" Prophets, hear the words of my mouth! Repeated in triplicate websites.

Is he an expert in Suidaen cosmetology?

Posted by: transylvania ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 06:25PM

John Dehlin -

Smart enough to see that the Morg isnt true.
Egotistical enough not to want to leave his place in the mix of it all.
Charismatic enough to attract flocks of people.

Is he Joseph Smith reincarnated?

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 06:27PM

This dude is begging to be excommunicated. He must be completely fed up.

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 08:04PM

'fed' as in past tense of 'feed' . . .

or "f'ed," as in a censored expletive?

I guess either way works.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 10:16PM

He's had enough.

Maybe he survived the Daniel Peterson thing. The church took his side but made him publicly proclaim he was the church's bitch. He blubbered his way through a testimony. Now, he's out for his pound of flesh.

Maybe the poster below is right that the church is somehow connected to this. If not, Dehlin will be excommunicated. I've read through the site. It's for people who are bailing on the mormon church.

However, in a post where Dehlin was asking for people's input on the groups "values statement" someone said,

1. A concentration on family with an expanded definition of what that constitutes. Specifically, integrating lgbtq perspectives.
2. A focus on service to those in our community.
3. Emergency preparedness.

Emergency preparedness is a value that you can form an entire community around, eh? The suggested values posts are a riot. Mormons living on the edge: eternal families and personal growth.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: December 20, 2013 12:00AM

This could be a handy way for them to create a database of what people across the spectrum are thinking.

'Stay close to your friends, but closer to your enemies'could be what's going on here.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 06:32PM

Sounds like a new mormon church in the making.

Date: December 19, 2013 07:06PM

I doubt it. You can decorate it with bows of tolerance and paint of inclusiveness but it is still this.

A beauty (righteousness and obedience) contest for future intolerant pigs.
http://blog.asiantown.net/-/555/-pig-beauty--contest
The goal is to get you a spot on the Conference Center dais with a nice muted red tie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2013 07:06PM by Pagag.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 07:01PM

I sincerely wish him and this venture well.

John is a decent guy who wants to reduce the harm the church causes. I know a lot of people think he is a traitor, going back into the church, but he can help many more people from within. Going back was never an admission that the church is really true. Others think he is just building a business and is in it for the money. That's is not true. John may build a business and make a living out of it, but his main objective is to help reduce the pain the church causes. We all have to survive in this world and if he can get a counselling business going and help people at the same time then good on him.

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 07:03PM

Date: December 19, 2013 07:09PM

I wish he would stop trying to make the people processed and often overly processed or merely run over by LDS Inc. into a community of "Jews" instead of what they really are a community of the abused.

There is already one of the these - RfM!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2013 08:19PM by Pagag.

Posted by: FrankV ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 09:07PM

Building business is probably part of it. In doing so, he is helping a lot of people.

Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 09:18PM

I agree. He genuinely does seem to want to make the church a better place for the people still trapped in it. I chose to leave it completely, but I think for some people it's not the best option. Also, he seems understanding of people who leave and he respects our decisions. I think more mormons need to be like that.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 07:57PM

I ways found mormon culture more embarrassing than fulfilling. I really don't need any continued attachment to it

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 08:41PM

I'm placing odds on him shutting it down the minute things go in a direction he doesn't like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2013 08:41PM by archytas.

Posted by: Zinger ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 09:08PM

I wonder if Dehlin could be sending up a trial balloon for the church. The authorities may be worried about where things are going with the membership and what kind of options that might work if the bottom falls out.

They don't own his efforts from the start so they don't have to worry about "bailing out", but if something workable happens it might be useful.

Mormon leaders may be seeing the writing on the wall - but they don't know what that writing is specifically saying. They may be wondering if there is a mid-ground in the future. They may be looking for future cover without appearing too desperate today.

Posted by: ec1 ( )
Date: December 20, 2013 12:39PM

Isn't that what seer is supposed to mean...the ability to translate the writing on the wall.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 09:31PM

Isn't "progressive Mormon" an oxymoron? Like George Carlin's "jumbo shrimp" or "military intelligence".

Real progress would be to stop calling yourself after a fictitious character.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 20, 2013 12:09AM

clean coal

thinking TBM Mormon.

Posted by: templenameaaron ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 11:54PM

I am at peace with John d. He is the man he sees the Forrest thru the trees...

Posted by: newnamenephi ( )
Date: December 20, 2013 12:20AM

Although skeptical, I really enjoyed his vigorous stance for truth in the recent radio interview he was part of. I really appreciated his view.

Posted by: thematrix ( )
Date: December 20, 2013 12:22AM

His podcasts truly helped me through my progression out

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: December 20, 2013 02:45AM

Until he finds religion again and bails. Fuck him.

Posted by: Wigged out ( )
Date: December 20, 2013 12:57PM

John is doing what we're all doing here, which is basically trying to recover after the deconstruction. I hope he chooses a path that helps him heal.

Posted by: Probitas ( )
Date: December 20, 2013 03:28PM

I don't get JD...how you can look/examine/study at the mountain of evidence against the Morg's truth claims, talk about it ad nauseum on a public forum only to return to TSCC...How can you do that to your kids? Seriously...if it causes that much harm that you have to create yet another forum for those feeling not so accepted in the Morg, to provide a "sense of community" for those that don't align with an orthodox view of Morg doctrine etc....

Why continue to expose your kids to the cult programming then?? If his wife doesn't like it, then stand up and say enough of the mixed messages...I will not stand another minute allowing our children to think I condone Morg falsehoods as their father.

I for one will be hesitant to participate in his new forum because of his lack of credibility. Who is to say this isn't a creative way to capture info on exmos?

Posted by: androidandy ( )
Date: December 20, 2013 03:39PM

I've enjoyed MS over the years, especially Tom Phillips podcast.

Tom made a huge impact on me realizing how sick and twisted the morg is on the inside.

Good luck to John Dehlin with his efforts to help others get out of the cult and preserve their families.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.