Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 28, 2013 08:31AM

On another thread, the poster said the core of mormonism would be made up of love, peace, and compassion.

Do you agree?

I never saw a major emphasis on those ideals in the Mormon church. I think I'd say blind faith and obedience form the core of mormonism. A close third might be "keeping up appearances."

What do you see as the mormonism's core values?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: December 28, 2013 08:34AM

I agree: obedience is THE core value.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: December 28, 2013 08:50AM

First thing (only thing) that popped into my head too. Obedience is the first law of heaven and Earth for them. Everything in the whole culture rests on how submissive you can be. You're rewarded for turning off your brain. Hypocrisy is perfectly fine, even encouraged, as long as you bow your head and say Yes. In my day we were told we had free agency. Now they've dropped the Free part. You just have agency--the right to agree with them and be rewarded or disagree and be ostracized.

And they can't figure out why they're classified a cult.

Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: December 28, 2013 09:01AM

Who classifies Mormonism as a cult?

Cultwatch does but it's a Christian website. They have a religious agenda and so they're not a legitimate source.

I'd like to know if there is an actual academic, sociological, legitimate organization out there that calls Mormonism a cult.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: December 28, 2013 09:39AM

No you don't. If you were all that consumed with who classifies it that way you'd be on Google. What you really want is a confrontation while you hide behind an unknown moniker.

Posted by: Anonmon ( )
Date: December 28, 2013 01:59PM

I need to read up on this but off the top of my head the LDS church controls:

What you eat and drink
What you wear
10% of your money
Your reading materials
Your time (assigned jobs)

Don't even get me started with the temple rituals!

Oh, they've been tracking me down all over the country for 15 years after I've told them to leave me alone. No real church would do that.

Looks like a cult to me! But yes, let's hear more from the pros.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 28, 2013 02:06PM

If you're interested, google "Is Mormonism a cult?" I'm sure you'd need only an afternoon to get up to speed.

Posted by: Facing Tao ( )
Date: December 28, 2013 07:55PM

Mormonism matches a large number of points of the BITE model (http://www.freedomofmind.com/Info/BITE/bitemodel.php, also well explained on Chris Johnson's video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmeSmlHyDRU). BITE model use = cult.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 28, 2013 08:37AM

Posted by: Lydia ( )
Date: December 28, 2013 08:40AM

This is interesting topic, Cheryl. 2 years ago I might have said love etc... now I don't think I know!
I think the values are different according to each person - just like in the real world. Since being inactive I genuinely now believe that the vast majority do not care about being me and are therefore not loving etc
My core values have not changed on leaving. So I guess they were always with me and not because of the church.
So,so many loving caring people out there who are not LDS.
The longer I am away the less I 'get'them

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: December 28, 2013 08:44AM

Without reading your post, I said money and appearances.

I guess that depends though. Among individual Mormons, there are many salt of the earth types that I know have good hearts and try to live good lives.

But as to the institution itself, the core values having nothing to do with Christian teachings.

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: December 28, 2013 09:10AM

Pray, pay, and obey!

>>the poster on another thread said, "the core of mormonism would be made up of love, peace, and compassion.">>

BUT

in Mormonism love, peace, and compassion are only love, peace, and compassion as DEFINED by TSCC.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: December 28, 2013 09:18AM

I believe an awfully lot of people attend church for the social aspect---the socialization and community found in belonging. For many the prestige you can pick up in the church when you are a leader called to top callings brings power and recognition. And tied into this is money---I've never seen a bishop or SP or member of the 15 who are on the low end of the economic spiral--which means you are an exemplary member being blessed with monetary success because you are a good church member.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: December 28, 2013 09:42AM

Core Value = Control your love ones through shame and guilt.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 28, 2013 09:49AM

(SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Obvious!):

Loyalty to TSCC jumps out as #1.
It's in the SM talks, the SS lessons, and most of all... in TSCT (the So-Called Temple).

Nothing else is even close! $ is a (desired) side-effect.

Posted by: Paidinfull ( )
Date: December 28, 2013 10:09AM

The core value of Mormonism is the appearance of having values.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: December 28, 2013 07:20PM

plus being obsessed with The Gospelâ„¢ and proud that you're as weird, boring, and deprived as possible.

This sums it up pretty well, I think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMhwddNQSWQ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2013 07:25PM by munchybotaz.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: December 28, 2013 10:58AM

The core value is American and Mormon "exceptionalism"

Christopher Columbus was divinely inspired (as outlined in the BOM) to come to this hemisphere to spread the Gospel

The Garden of Eden is in Missouri

The Golden Plates were located in upstate New York

Those more valiant in the pre-existence are viewed as exceptional, as evidenced by their skin coloring; therefore white people are better than black, brown and yellow people.

Joseph Smith the humble religious farmboy, his search for the true religion, his martyrdom etc -- were all exceptional

The Mormon Church is the one TRUE church on earth and therefore we must infiltrate each society and culture with our superior knowledge/religion.

Pioneers and their ancestors are better than regular folk

Rich people are better than poor due to their valiant nature in the pre existence.

Exceptional families breed better prophets and General Authorities: the Smiths, Taylors, Woodruffs and Grants

My family, wife, husband, children are more spiritual than your family ... etc.

The Morridor is exceptional

Salt Lake City is Zion, therefore more exceptional than say Cleveland.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2013 12:32PM by Senoritalamanita.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: December 28, 2013 11:23AM

This is an exceptional take on it all. The Mormons stake claim to those things that actually belong to everyone. When I was young there were always jokes about how Texans always claimed everything was bigger and better in Texas.

The Mormons do the same thing. I used to hear in Sacrament meeting how everyone looked up to Mormons, recognized we had something special that no one else had. Turns out it's true. Mormons do have something "special." But it's not spiritual superiority, it 's dangerous arrogant willing belief in their own self importance--desperation to be better than others--all fueled by obedience to the most greedy arrogant pack of old men I have seen on the planet with the exception of a few despot dictators.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: December 28, 2013 12:27PM

Excellent assessment Blue Orchid. I heartily agree. Greedy and arrogant bastards.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2013 12:33PM by Senoritalamanita.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: December 28, 2013 11:05AM

One could make an argument that the absolute core value of Mormonism is capitalism, and with a strong influence of systematic hate.

Date: December 28, 2013 11:15AM

Obedience designed to bring perfect control. No cult can operate without it.

But at the core, the deepest part? Fear. Not love. Fear.

Fear of losing your family for eternity.

Fear of rejection by those you love in this life.

Fear of not measuring up, as being seen as less than.

Fear of not being good enough.

Enough fear that you will write a check for tithing when you don't have the rent money or nutritious food for the kids.

Enough fear that you will walk into a court of love and allow yourself to be shamed and judged for something personal that is really no one's business.

Enough fear that parents allow a bishop to interview a young kid alone and ask disgusting questions.

Enough fear that you will act against your own best interest.

It's fear.

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: December 28, 2013 12:56PM

It was fear that got me into the church and it was fear that kept me in it.

Left for good and resigned.

"Free at last, free at last.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2013 12:57PM by Helen.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 28, 2013 12:56PM

GAs Don't Allow that there are Any 'Core Values'; everything is thrown into the pot with the same significance - importance.

That's an Escape Mechanism, they can't be pinned down to Anything.

just sayin'

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 28, 2013 01:14PM

is lying considered a "value" ?

Date: December 28, 2013 01:22PM

LMAO IF it's for the Lord, why not?

Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: December 28, 2013 01:49PM

Self preservation, at all costs.

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: December 28, 2013 02:31PM

The core value of Mormonism is belief. More specifically, Mormonism requires you to believe that Joseph Smith was a prophet, the Book of Mormon is what the church says it is and that the current president of the church is a prophet or the only man on earth legitimately able to call himself a prophet and act like a prophet. If a Mormon does not believe in these three things he isn't really a Mormon and any other values are only those of the individual and not of Mormonism.

Saying that, if one is a Mormon who holds the foundational beliefs or values he may also be expected to obey. Without the obedience that is expected to follow the belief, Mormonism falls apart. That's about all there is. Guilting, pressuring, demanding, ordering, belittling, and fleecing only comes from a sense of duty to obey.

I did not want to obey lots of things mostly because I did not believe in the last core value. I never believed that the president of the church was a prophet. I therefore concluded that I would do as I saw fit rather than what I was told I must do. That didn't go over very well and was the eventual cause of my losing belief in the first two beliefs. But it sure took WAY too long for me to figure it all out.

Posted by: BirdUncaged ( )
Date: December 28, 2013 06:52PM

I find it interesting that NO ONE even suggested the cornerstone value the church would have us believe is at their core.

Christ. Or being Christ-like.

We are taught the War in Heaven was fought so that we could all have the freedom to make choices. Yet OBEDIENCE...blind, following, unquestioning obedience is taught.

We are taught that the Spirit teaches through love, yet FEAR drives most Mormons into compliance.

We are taught "the plan of happiness" and that "men are that they might have joy". But an overwhelming number of members are on anti-depressants, while they smile and clean the ward toilets. Where is the joy? The happiness?

I feel like I ate of the tree of knowledge, that I might know the good from the evil. And all I see in the church is evil.

Like a giant dog turd...no matter how much frosting you put on it to pretty it up, it's still just a turd.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: December 28, 2013 07:21PM

The core of Mormon values are Lying, stealing, and cheating!
As far as Mormonism being a cult:
http://mormoncult.org/

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/fighting_words/2011/10/is_mormonism_a_cult_who_cares_it_s_their_weird_and_sinister_beli.html

http://carm.org/is-mormonism-cult

http://www.godvoter.org/mormonism-cult.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2013 07:36PM by verilyverily.

Posted by: nevermo1 ( )
Date: December 28, 2013 07:34PM

$$$

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.