Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dazed11 ( )
Date: December 30, 2013 03:25PM

Zions Bancorp is suing the government because they want to be able to keep lying to investors about their financial condition. They got the lobbyist group for small banks to take up their case even though they seem to be the only bank that accumulated such large amounts of worthless CDOs.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/116054/volcker-rule-lawsuit-small-banks-sue-undo-financial-regulation

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2013 03:26PM by dazed11.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: hobofett ( )
Date: December 30, 2013 03:59PM

Very interesting. I guess some of the morg's money is going to have to shore up that bank if taxes dollars can't be used. Or not. It wouldn't be first bank failure in the LDS history.

Posted by: Turd ( )
Date: December 30, 2013 04:33PM

It's a publicly traded company, I believe on the New York Stock Exchange. The church has no meaningful ownership in it.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: December 30, 2013 04:37PM

Turd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's a publicly traded company, I believe on the
> New York Stock Exchange. The church has no
> meaningful ownership in it.

Do you know what percentage of stock in Zions LDS Inc owns?

There are a lot of us that think it is a significant amount from the way Zion's employees are treated.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: December 30, 2013 05:44PM

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/mh?s=ZION+Major+Holders

The info isn't all that hard to come by. If you check the link it will give you the top ten funds and institutions that own the stock as well as offering the Insider Roster and all of the Insider transactions.

It is pretty safe to say that LDS inc's influence on Zions is as their number one customer, not their owner. I wouldn't however want to discount that influence, just categorize it properly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2013 05:45PM by jacob.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 31, 2013 03:50AM

I see Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan Chase are #8 and #10 in institutional holdings, and also have mutual funds holding it.

That means tax dollars will shore it up.

Posted by: Tammie1 ( )
Date: December 31, 2013 09:27AM

Well if LDS Inc was number 16 on the list it wouldn't show up.

Posted by: SeaNeverMo ( )
Date: December 31, 2013 09:51AM

Does that list also take into account preferred stock, and any percentage not offered on the market?

Posted by: gannosu ( )
Date: December 30, 2013 05:27PM

This is hilarious. As I posted a few weeks ago a quote from the Deseret News when Monson dedicated the new Zions Building in Provo:

PROVO — LDS Church President Thomas S. Monson joined elected officials, business leaders and prominent Utah County residents Friday to dedicate and celebrate the Zions Bank Financial Center.

"May it ever be a bright and shining star in the business community of Provo, and may its influence extend far and wide," President Monson said of the new headquarters for Zions Bancorp's central Utah region.

In addition to offering a dedicatory prayer, President Monson told those in attendance about some of his boyhood experiences in Utah County and also reaffirmed The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' confidence in the bank.

"You can rest assured that this church doesn't put its investments and its confidence in anything that isn't stable, honorable and (having) a record of performance and integrity," he said.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: December 30, 2013 05:41PM

OMG, not too different from Joseph Smith prophesying that the Kirtland Bank would never fail.

Posted by: jackjoseph ( )
Date: December 31, 2013 02:50AM

I don't understand. What business does the lds church have praying over and dedicating a public office building?

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: December 31, 2013 09:41AM

jackjoseph Wrote:
> I don't understand. What business does the lds
> church have praying over and dedicating a public
> office building?

Formally:

"Corporation of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints."

No joke.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 30, 2013 07:25PM

more Crapola from Morland.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: December 30, 2013 07:49PM

. . . with insider connections.

An individual working closely with Zions Bank in a Rocky Mountain-area state (which is known but will remain unmentioned here, in order to protect the identity of the informant) is reportedly trying to help the bank solve what has been described as a significant problem facing the bank's profitability.

It is said that a majority of people living in a certain city in this state are of the view that the Mormon Church still owns, or at least controls, Zions Bank and are therefore refusing to do business with it. This problem is said to be a major one that is seriously impacting the bank's bottom line.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2013 07:54PM by steve benson.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: December 31, 2013 04:18AM

steve benson Wrote:
> . . . with insider connections...

>
> ...It is said that a majority of people living in a
> certain city in this state are of the view that
> the Mormon Church still owns, or at least
> controls, Zions Bank and are therefore refusing to
> do business with it.

That is funny and it serves them right. The Mormons have a substantial credibility problem and a perception problem that they are the local bully. I certainly won't have anything to do with anything that I perceive to be Mormon owned, including Marriott. I don't view Mormons favorably or trustworthy. When I talk to Mormon businesses, I cover my wallet with my hand. It comes from years of experience dealing with them.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: December 31, 2013 09:37AM

Why don't they change the bank's name then. I wouldn't do business with "Zion's" bank any more than I would L. Ron Hubbard's bank.

Posted by: csuprovostudent ( )
Date: December 31, 2013 09:43AM

Given the current conditions, perhaps they should change the name to Brigham's Bank. That would allow them to somehow blame BY for the profitability problems...

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 31, 2013 09:40AM

Interesting. Thanks for sharing that, Steve.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: December 31, 2013 09:51AM

A few years back when there were several bank failures every week, Zion's was often mentioned as one of the worst banks...one that was sure to fail. I'm surprised it's still around.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.