Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 09, 2013 12:15PM

At the Ex-Mo Conference last October, Grant Palmer mentioned that the LDS church shows desperation by frequently, if not always, installing relatives in leadership, or at least only the most vetted. I was looking at the Stepford Wives in the new YW ledership, which included an Oscarson, a McConkie, and a Marriot. I don't know about the Oscarsons beyond the fact that it appears to be an historic name in Utah. Anyone know about the Oscarson name?

As far as diversity goes, they weren't even close. You'd think that they would at least try, knowing all the criticisms they face. Obviously, they don't care much about it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NeverBeenaMormon ( )
Date: April 09, 2013 12:27PM

The Oscarsons look new to the royalty scene, though the name has been around a while. Her father in law appears to have been a pretty decent Mission President http://www.salamandersociety.com/foyer/mpfromhell/. She seems alright as well - she posted the fairy godmothers link on Pinterest!

Posted by: Hugh Janus ( )
Date: April 09, 2013 12:32PM

They would have the sheepie believe that these elect royal relatives were prepared in the pre-existence to help shore up and strengthen the kingdom here on earth - as such they needed to come to strong fam's. Strong fam's are usually in the holy of holy higher up's.

Having lived in Missouri in years past, we would have many holier than thou wanna be leaders come out to Independence (and surrounding area). Some placed immediately into the leadership scheme. One man in particular, used to brag continually from the pulpit how he had been prepared to come out, without purse or script, to shore up and strengthen the weak members in that area. I sware, these people are the most deluded ever.

Posted by: michaelff (not logged in) ( )
Date: April 09, 2013 12:43PM

are you basing that on the color of skin alone?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 09, 2013 11:34PM

Could be. Do you know any Mormon royalty that are non-white? List names.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: April 09, 2013 02:10PM

There are (or were, many years ago) a lot of Oscarsons in leadership positions in St. Louis.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: April 10, 2013 05:56AM

The names of this mission president's parents jumped off the page at me. Either his grandparents were handing down some family names or were serious fan-boys of the Kimballs:

"James Michael Wilson, 61, and Jan Carter Wilson, six children, Cedar 13th Ward, Cedar City Utah West Stake: California Bakersfield Mission. Brother Wilson has served as an assistant area auditor, stake president, counselor in a stake presidency, high councilor, bishop, elders quorum president and missionary in the Argentina South Mission. CPA/manager, Hinton Burdick, PLLC. Born in Monticello, Utah, to Heber Reed and Helen Mar Wilson."

http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/63379/New-mission-presidents.html

Posted by: intheshadowof_timp ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 05:53PM

I thought I'd share what I know about this family. Growing up in Pleasant Grove, Utah I heard the family name Oscarson a lot, and knew several of them. The family is one of PG's oldest, and always seemed to get the good ol' boy privileges back when I was growing up and PG was smaller. Their old family farm/home was directly across the street from PG High's current seminary building (though the home was torn down several years ago). The Oscarsons I know who still live in PG, do live in that immediate area.

Most of the Oscarsons went on missions to Sweden, which is where—I believe—their ancestors came to PG from. One of the sons, who was about my grandfather's age moved away from Utah and became a fairly successful business man in Missouri. I believe this is Roy, who is mentioned in the story that NeverBeenaMormon shared. It is his daughter-in-law who is the new YW pres.

I know the family is huge. There was a Utah senator, Kurt Oscarson, who died young and you can donate to something named after him on your Utah tax forms. There is also an "Oscarson Elementary" school in Marysvale, which I assume has some sort of connection; as I said the family is huge.

It seems the new YW pres has been heavily vetted: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonnie_L._Oscarson. I don't personally know her, or her husband (only some relatives) and she is only an Oscarson by marriage. But those Oscarsons I know mostly went to BYU, and there have been plenty of missionaries, mission presidents, and temple presidents from this clan. So it does not surprise me if the church is installing them as new members of the Mormon royal elite.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.