Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 06:32PM

I have watched Steven Snow's video explaining the new essays a few times now.

Besides seeing how clearly arrogant and condescending he is, I'm left with the notion that TSCC wants a place that TBMs can go for "faith promoting" explanations. And I'm impressed that the mission of the church historical department is to provide a "faith promoting" version of church history.

So my question is, why is "promoting" faith a good thing? And more to the point, isn't it transparently self indulgent and self promoting? Doesn't any objective view of "promoting" a faith lead anyone to conclude that it NEEDS promotion?

Why isn't real virtue found in seeking truth, no matter its effect on a faith? Why is it good to promote a faith?

(And of course the conclusion I come to is that these opportunistic manipulators want the faith promoted so it continues on feeding those at the top of the pyramid.)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 06:37PM

left4good Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> So my question is, why is "promoting" faith a good thing?

Perspective.

Not good for the members; but very good for the cash-flow.

(Which is what you also reason "And of course the conclusion I come to is that these opportunistic manipulators want the faith promoted so it continues on feeding those at the top of the pyramid.")

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2014 06:40PM by zenjamin.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 06:57PM

It's not a good thing.

It simply means filter out anything that might make you question or verify religious claims.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 07:58PM

There's nothing wrong with having your side of the story but to encourage people to ONLY go to that source is wrong. Its equivalent to the Jury not being present for the prosecutor's case being presented and only coming in to hear the defense lawyer's closing remarks.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 08:36PM

When one side says, "don't listen to the other side," you should listen, and listen closely, to the other side.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.