Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon question ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 01:07AM

I have a sister and brother in law who will be sealing an adopted baby to them next week. How is the ceremony performed? As much detail as possible would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: just browsing ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 01:30AM

Same as any sealing of children to parents - with the additional words

** With all the rights , powers , and privileges as if you were born in the New and Everlasting of Marriage**

JB

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 01:40AM

Posted by: anon now ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 11:34AM

The baby we adopted was sealed to us at 8 months of age. My husband and I were in our full temple costume (robe, veil/hat, green apron.) We did the patriarchal grip across the alter and our baby was placed sitting up on the alter with a hand on ours.

Then the officiator said his spiel about baby being sealed to us for eternity, etc. And that was that. Short and sweet.

Posted by: FormerMichiganGal ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 06:59PM

We had four kids sealed to us. "anon now" explained it correctly.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 12:09PM

Yep, that's pretty much it. TBM family members and friends with current temple recommends may be invited to witness the sealing. Also, if the couple has any other minor children, they will be invited to witness the sealing as well.

While your sister and brother in law (and guests if any) are changing into their temple clothes, the baby will be cared for by female temple workers in a nursery that is specifically for children who are being sealed to their parents, or who are witnessing the sealing of their parents to a sibling. The baby will be dressed in all white like everyone else. Once the parents and guests are assembled in a sealing room, a temple worker will bring the baby in for the ceremony. Once the sealing is done (in two minutes or less--very brief), the worker will take the baby back to the nursery, change him/her back into street clothes, and take care of him/her until the parents are dressed and ready to go.

Date: January 02, 2014 12:36PM

Just as creepy as I expected. Sooooo glad I'm out!

Date: January 02, 2014 12:45PM

So they have another kid - 6 YO - who was BIC. He will witness his parents dressed in day glow green and bakers hat doing the secret handshake? Sounds like child abuse.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 03:05PM

Yes, the BIC kid will probably be brought to the temple. When the family arrives, the 6-year old and the baby will be taken to the nursery and assigned to two or more temple workers who will take charge of them. Both children will be dressed in all white clothing in the nursery (unless the parents brought them in all-white clothes), then they'll wait for a little while until the workers are notified by phone to bring the kids through the temple. Once the adults are ready in the sealing room, the kids will be brought in. They will NOT be sitting with their parents, as Mom and Dad will either already be at the altar or will be sitting in the sealing couple chairs. They will probably be sitting on the side with the assigned temple workers unless the sealer makes an exception.

Sometimes the kids freak out, especially if the parents haven't prepared them beforehand. The temple workers are used to this and will probably be loving and kind. They'll read to them, play with them, etc. during the wait for the parents.

Posted by: sizterh ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 05:52PM

I can't imagine handing a young child over to a complete stranger.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 05:52PM

I am adopted as was my brother. We were sealed to our parents in 1960 (don't remember the words that were spoken). Mom had converted earlier that year and Dad and Mom had a temple wedding earlier that day (they had originally been married in a civil ceremony in 1939). My brother and I didn't get invited to the second one. Looking back on that day now it's just so much horse$hit. I was 11 and my brother was 9 at the time...and we weren't worthy to see them say "I do" in the temple? That's just so fucked up!

Ron Burr

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 05:57PM

"By the authority of the holy priesthood, I seal you, (Child's Name), to your father (Father's Name) and to your mother (Mother's Name) for time and all eternity, as an heir with all the children as though you were born in the new and everlasting covenant; in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen."

That's all there is to it, folks.

Posted by: Lori C ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 06:03PM

...and I was sealed into polygamy..."new and everlasting covenant"? Honestly? This would explain a few things.

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 07:24PM

So a 6 year old can witness his sibling get sealed to his parents but he can't witness his 21 year old brother get married? What sense does this make?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2014 07:47PM by misterzelph.

Date: January 02, 2014 08:48PM

These silly rules/doctrines/policies, or whatever they are, make no sense whatsoever. There are a dozen or more cousins his age, why couldn't they, and he, go to a couple of weddings that have already made second class members out of them? Is there a cut off age, 8 maybe, when kids aren't allowed into a sealing room? These kids a told they can go to the temple if X is happening, but not Y. What about worthiness interviews for kids over eight? Why the hell are kids of all ages made to pay tithing of they can't buy their way in? So many stupid questions are raised all over a 60 second ceremony where everyone gets to wear silly hats and aprons. Let's the kid join in the party; he may have a propensity for dayglow green. Jeesh!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.