Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: otedge ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 10:51AM

Supreme Court grants stay.

What a mess.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 10:52AM

I just heard that on NPR. GOOD GRIEF!!!!

CALIFORNIA gay marriage: No, then yes, then no, then yes.

UTAH gay marriage: No, then yes, then no, then ______?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2014 11:51AM by PapaKen.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 10:52AM

Mormon lobbyists have earned their stipend this month.

Posted by: Odell Campbell ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 10:54AM

There is pretty normal. The US Supreme Court ruled that the stay would be in effect until the 10th Circuit decided the case, it is on a fast track with the 10th Circuit.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 10:55AM

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57357406-78/court-utah-decision-marriage.html.csp

:(

Don't lose heart though. The tide has turned. Equal marriage is here to stay, it just might be slightly more delayed now. We are on the correct side of this fight and there is no way we'll lose.

Posted by: exmolawyer ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 02:58PM

That's just the problem... the Supreme Court (of the US) hasn't ruled on the issue. When it takes up the issue, it will be because it is unavoidable. This happens usually when there is conflicting opinions from the circuits (10th says one thing, 9th another) or the constitutional issue cannot be resolved any further by the subordinate courts. The time is rapidly approaching, but will not happen in this term. It would have to have been taken up this month in order for the Court to rule on it before then end of the term this summer. Don't look for a Supreme Court ruling until late this year or next year. 10th circuit will have something soon, though. End of February or beginning of March.

Posted by: Utah County Mom ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 10:58AM

Yeah, my first thought was, "The Good old boys . .have lobbyists."

Thing is, how can the Supreme Court rule differently in one state as opposed to another? They can't, or they wouldn't, would they?!

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 11:11AM

Rumour has it that Mr Meacham was,today, seen running...no...sprinting full pelt...towards his nearest McDonalds.....

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 11:15AM

I bet you're right!

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 11:19AM

Betcha big bucks it's Cafe Rio!

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 11:49AM

Devoted Exmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Betcha big bucks it's Cafe Rio!

That would be my guess.

Posted by: flecher ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 01:07PM

Golden Corral

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 01:09PM

Hahahaha! You may be right!

Posted by: koriwhoremonger ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 11:13AM

There were some thing like 900 Same Sex marriages performed. That represents huge leverage in arguing this whole thing going forward. How can the state invalidate that many marriages without facing another huge backlash? The tide has turned.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 11:19AM

I don't see this as a bad thing, I see it as an unfortunate part of the larger process. I assume since Sotomayor turned the request over to the entire court and since the entire court granted the stay, SCOTUS expects the case to come back to them for real. A little bit of patience returns a fully vetted and final decision outlawing this discrimination.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 11:37AM

Given how they have voted in the past, I don't see them upholding Utah's ban. I could be wrong. I was actually hoping prop 8 would lose six to three instead of five to four, but that was wishful thinking on my part. I actually believe there is a bunch of republican bigwigs, not Rick Perry or Rush Limbaugh mind you, but guys like Chris Christie and a couple of farseeing Senators like these guys, http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/06/now-there-are-3-republican-senators-who-support-gay-marriage/277021/
who know that the sooner the issue is settled, the sooner they can turn the political spectrum back to fiscal issues, where the Republican party's platform stands on better ground. Mind you, most of the Republicans who oppose gay marriage don't want that to happen, because then they will have to stop being hypocrites on fiscal issues. Bashing gays is a good way to keep people from discovering that you lie about trying to stop pork projects.

Date: January 06, 2014 11:20AM

On a related note, just to make everybody's morning brighter:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57348126-78/wedding-kirby-alex-marrying.html.csp

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 11:35AM

Kirby is all kinds of awesome.

This will be another polarizing moment for church members in Utah and all over the country. Once again, I'm glad I don't have to go to church or associate with any uber-conservative members and listen to any debate over it.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 11:41AM

Wait, is be marrying people using his position in the church, or does he have civil authority to perform unions? Just curious, because this is going to get interesting if he has civil authority, but it is going to get bags of popcorn interesting if he is doing it as an LDS High Councilor.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 11:46AM

I don't think the high council has the authority to marry someone. I think just bishops and stake presidents do. But anyone can find some internet church who will grant a ministerial certificate giving you authority to marry people.

Date: January 06, 2014 11:53AM

It doesn't really say. I don't think people are going to go after him for it though.

Posted by: beansandbrews ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 12:04PM

Too me it seems as if the high court is making sure it goes through the system properly.
I agree it's going to become the law of the land.
At some point Utah will be proud of the fact that their state
was responsible for it.

I wish the tax payers didn't have to foot the bill...

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 12:45PM

+1,000

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 12:52PM

I was looking forward to whatever lame excuse he would have made for abandoning his fast under duress.

I'm surprised, too, that only 900 couples got married. I would have guessed a lot more.

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 02:20PM

From the Readers Comments section, Salt Lake Tribune article. This collection was posted by "50sense," http://www.sltrib.com/pages/comments?cid=57357406#comment-1189384306

[Begin quotes from negative comments here]

[…] "If the phags can redefine the word "marriage" then turnabout is fair play"

"Move the Gay People to Mars where they belong"

"homosexuality is illogical to embrace and insane to promote"

"Frankly, homosexuality should be recriminalized and the practitioners of this perversion and their supporters jailed."

"I hope that those who support this abomination are around in 20 years to witness the mess they are creating"

"They are not "couples' They are just perverts"

"Fudge-packers deserve nothing but disease."

"This government wants a whole nation of impotent masochists, not just the two percent. That is why they promote homosexuality"

"Gays have the same right as all the rest of us --marry one person of the opposite gender."

"two men barebacking is disgusting abnormal behavior that should land one in a mental home"

"Homosexual is a behavioral aberration"

'"If a man wants to marry his mother then by god, he should have that right!"

"The gay agenda is an attempt to neuter the male population through the indoctrination of children to think a mentally ill persons lifestyle is acceptable"

"The gays should be happy its not like the Muslims and we aren't chopping their heads off for their gross behavior."

"So the tyranny of the minority is on hold for the time being"

"No matter how bad my Cat wants to become a Dog she will still be a cat."

"They will doubtless "embrace the suck", the 'Gay' Bowel Disease, AIDS, and all the rest of it."[…]

"Can you imagine how ugly the kids of those two in the picture would be? LOL"

"So Let the gays call themselves married, we'll just call ourselves "Christian Married" or "God Marriage" or something like that to piss them off"

"Congress should enact a Natural Marriage and Reproduction Act that would end same-sex marriage in the United States and preserve natural reproduction rights and equality itself."

ObamalikeshisTrannyWife (the name says it all)"is this site a liberal media site who supports the shoving down the throats of the gay agenda and deletes anyone who is against it?"[…]

"I decided not to use the word "gay" any more and call it by the more clinical name, "Homosexual", since it is a mental disorder."[…] [end quotes here]

Sometimes I think the SL Trib's auto-delete function for comments should be disabled. People need to see the full extent of the hatred, the ignorance, and the sewer-like character of anti-gay sentiment in Utah.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 02:36PM

How very discouraging to think that my family & good friends live in Utah where people with such attitudes are still raising their ugly heads.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 02:41PM

Yeah but consider
THEY are the ones frothing angry.
I get a kick out of their enraged impotence.

Time is leaving the Neanderthal behind once again.

Date: January 06, 2014 02:26PM

Concentrated stupidity from the Salt Lake Tribune's readers:

"Attention Gays: You currently have the right to get married in all 50 states. Gay men, find a woman willing to marry you and you can get married. Gay women, find a man willing to marry you and you can get married. Straight men are not allowed to marry other men and straight women are not allowed to marry other women. This is what EQUALITY UNDER THE LAW means - everyone is currently being treated equally. What you are really asking for is a NEW right, you want everyone to be able to marry the person of their choice, this is NOT the same thing as "marriage inequality". I know that by saying you are denied your "Civil Rights" you believe you can convince people that you are being oppressed, but you need to stop lying to the American people. We have had enough lies from the President, we don't need more from you."

Date: January 06, 2014 02:37PM

More coverage of the halt to gay marriages in Utah:

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/high-court-halts-utah-marriages

BTW, I posted a lot of negative comments from others but I want to make it clear that I do not agree with any of those negative and ignorant comments about gay marriage.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.