Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hives ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 09:53PM

What do TBMs think of Joel Osteen?
What did you think of Joel Osteen when you were a TBM?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mia ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 09:57PM

Con

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 09:59PM

I didn't and still don't have time to follow every hack in the world. I did a quick Google of this guy and he doesn't seem to be any different than hundreds of other jerks.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 10:16PM

Mega church book selling "Jesus wants us to be rich" con.

Me and my big hair Barbie wife know exactly what God wants you to know. Come to one of my events. Share the Good News and make a donation to my ministry. We help the poor. We take credit cards! *

A lot of people eat this stuff up. Obviously.

* Unfortunately, due to intricate legalities concerning copyright licensing, we are unable to grant permission to copy and distribute our products. This includes cassettes, CDs, MP3s, DVDs, MP4s, videos, and booklets (one of his disclaimers).

Posted by: shakinthedust ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 10:23PM

He's a really great motivational speaker/life coach who throws a little Jesus in now and then. Very positive, God-wants-you-to-be-rich kind of a guy.

Does he set off anyone else's gaydar?

Posted by: rgrraymond ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 11:59PM

I have heard him say on You Tube that gays are not Gods best. I have not like him ever sense.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: April 09, 2013 01:10AM

He seems happy. Always smiling. Is that natural?

Posted by: jl ( )
Date: April 09, 2013 08:46AM

Joel is way too plastic and phony.

Victoria is just a bubbly Stepford wife - even more plastic and phonier than Joel.

Posted by: Elnephi ( )
Date: April 09, 2013 09:15AM

The dude never says anything but the truth quotes very little scripture. He is positive towards mankind and his financials are transparent. If he his a bad guy he is doing allot of good. I don't send money but I listen to his positive podcast weekly. He makes me feel good for 30 minutes and then off I go to the lieing club of thieves for three hours. Thank God I'm in the nursery.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: April 09, 2013 09:22AM

Very positive messages - excellent motivational speaker for believers. He's inspiring. But the criticism is valid - he preaches the prosperity gospel alot, "do these things and God will bless you, etc." He's giving the people what they want.

Posted by: crissykay ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 04:22PM

I find his messages quite uplifting and inspirational. I get more out of his messages than those at GC. If people dont like him than they are free to change the chanel but those that need an lil uplifting would be better of listening to him.

Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 04:30PM

I believe he said Romney was ok to be Pres even though he's a Mormon bc Mormons ARE Christian.

Not that I care as I'm not Christian.

I have a MAJOR problem with that prosperity-gospel crap.

Appeals to one of the worst of human characteristics--GREED.

Couches it in morality/ethics which I think are the antithesis of greed. To do so is morally reprehensible, IMO.

There is not morality/ethical behavior if one's motivation is payback.

He's vile. Reminds me of Jimmy Carter with that idiot smile.

His wife is the typical Southern cracker woman. Bet she owns a lot of gold lame.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 04:40PM

I liked him as a TBM. Now I see he's a fraud.

Go figure..

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 05:00PM

A can of hair oil combined with an Osmond-toothed smile and slick vocal delivery. He's a cocktail of flim flam.

Posted by: greylady ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 05:04PM

As Joel Osteen professes to be a Christian, I find it interesting that his church (formerly a sports arena) has no crosses in it. I find him smarmy and can't stand his ever present smile. He inherited his ministry from his father, who apparently was a minister, not a spinner of prosperity gospel.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 05:25PM

Just icky.

Posted by: Liz ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 05:35PM

Hope is a big commodity today because so many feel hopeless. Even if it is tied to riches as he is promoting now, it is a message that all is not lost. That we can be in charge of our own destiny. We can succeed. We are loved.

I find it refreshing when I can stand to watch it. I have had 65 years of LDS saturation so I can only watch in small segments.

Yes, Joel is a religious seller of good feelings and hope, but if that is what people want to pay for, they are welcome to it. His smile sure is a contrast to the dull monologues from LDS speakers, especially in GConference.

I'm sure many people feel they receive more in return with Joel than if they were giving 10% to a corporation where the motivation is guilt and fear of losing family.

I'll take Joel Osteen any day over suits of twelve, fifteen, or even quorums of 70s.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 06:16PM

Crystal Meth helps many people feel good too. Just sayin'...

Posted by: not logged in (usually Duffy) ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 05:42PM

I have a VERY TBM friend who loves Joel Osteen. She was always talking about how much she loves to watch his show whenever it's on.

I didn't know who he was so I finally found his show and watched for about 10 minutes. I couldn't stand anymore than that. I already get too much sugar. I kept wondering why a fulfilled Mormon who has the "one and only True Church on this earth" would waste precious free time on a TV evangelist. I finally decided that she needed the upbeat, happy message to counteract some of that constant Mormony doom and gloom.

She recently told me she doesn't watch him as much because he doesn't have enough Jesus in his show. Really? Less than an LDS meeting??

Posted by: emmahailyes ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 06:36PM

Watching Joel on the Sunday mornings I pretented to be sick so I could skip LDS services helped me leave Mormonism. All mo meetings were "thou shall nots". Joel was up there shouting out 6"feel good neighbor". He didn't even have the priesthood, but he seemed to think God loved him. It was a time when I needed an encouraging word. Haven't watched since leaving the cult.

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 06:37PM

Guess he would fit right in with the Big Boyz.

"God loves you. Thanks for coming."

Pass the baskets boyz...

Posted by: The 604 ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 08:55PM

Again, a thread that has nothing to do with recovering from Mormonism. Does attacking someone you don't know make you feel better?

Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 09:51PM

You seem to have a very narrow view of what "recovering from Mormonism" means.

Why did you read the thread at all if you weren't interested in a purely Mormonism-related topic? Or why did you continue to read once you realized the OP was soliciting opinions about a non-Mormon preacher?

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 09:01PM

Just another televangelist con man. Please don't feed the flim-flammers.

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 09:55PM

Posted by: Stormin ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 10:11PM

I don't agree with all of his doctrine/politics (Mormons, Christians, Romney,etc.) ---- he was not trained as a preacher but will not say anything negative about anyone except the devil. But his messages are great and very inspirational ---- there is nothing wrong with being positive. Just because he gives very uplifting messages doesn't mean all his doctrines are true or his is the true church or that anyone has to support his causes. My sister, after a death in the family, was really helped by his sermons ------ Praise the Lord! I normally listen to him a few times a week and I think it helps me be more positive about my life and my relationship with God!

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 10:37PM

Prosperity theology = bull****

Posted by: capitolmoroni ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 11:25PM

I like joel. Many on here are going a little overboard to say he is a creep or bad. Eye roll.

He is a great motivational speaker that is Christian themed. Its very nondenominational so that anyone can like it.

If you've seen him once its all the same. He definitely earns his millions from his smooth public speaking skills. He is a likeable guy.

At least he is very positive and upbeat, compare that to general conference. I would pay to see joel anyday over going to sacrament meeting in lds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2014 11:26PM by capitolmoroni.

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 11:43PM

I'll take honest negativity over dishonest positivity.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 12:09AM

Didn't people learn ANYTHING from Jim Baker, Benny Hinn, Ted Haggard, Oral Roberts, Jimmy Swaggart, Harold Camping....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.