Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MarkJ ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 03:28PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/files/2014/01/26271801-1.jpg

The link is to a map that shows human migration over the ages. No Jaredite or Nephite voyages. No Tower of Babel.

We rob ourselves of our true heritage and identity if we replace history with fable. The true story of humanity is one of tremendous scope of time and space, of survival and exploration against great odds, of countless personalities, dreams, and achievements. Thin little Mook of Mormon stories pale in comparison. The truth is so much more interesting and instructive that it is a crime to neglect it.

The Book of Mormon is not only laughable history, but also a theft of recognition of the people who actually made the great migrations. That theft continues to deprive many today of understanding the greatness of our shared history.

More interesting maps: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/01/13/40-more-maps-that-explain-the-world/?hpid=z8

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The exmo formelry known as Br. ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 03:51PM

I think I was around 10. I broke out a calculator and tried to figure out how long it would take light from the sun to reach us. Then I tried to figure out light from farther stars. I didn't draw the connections right then about the implications for theology but it definitely planted a seed in my head. The vast scales of distance and time at play in our solar system, galaxy and entire universe are mind boggling. When we compare reality with our myths the myths come off sounding small and silly.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 04:01PM

you had Sheldon like powers at age 10. When I was ten I was still trying to figure out why my special little friend would always stand at attention whenever I saw Barbara Eden in "I Dream of Jeannie"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.