Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: itzel ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 07:16PM

A family member was told yesterday by a reliable source that the church is building another City Creek complex across the street from the Philly temple. She was told that the church is currently purchasing the buildings in the area "to clear the location" for the new construction. They also want to make sure nothing unsightly will block any of their views. Insurance policies have already been purchased for the contracts. L. Tom Perry is heading the project.

Sorry if this is old news, I didn't have a clue.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NotSoSure ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 07:17PM

I haven't heard about this. Thanks for mentioning it.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 07:23PM

Catholics build cathedrals and hospitals.

What does the Mormon build!?

Posted by: stoppedtheinsanity ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 07:51PM

Is this reliable? How would one go about verifying this on a more pubic scale? My TBM mom just found out ( or so she claims, I guess all my ranting and raving didn't sink in) about city creek and was not happy about the way the church is spending it's money. I would love to share this with her.

Posted by: not logged in (usually Duffy) ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 07:55PM

I didn't even know they were building a temple there. But just now I pulled up some info about it and started studying Google maps.

If TSCC can buy the parking lot across the street from the one they bought to build the temple on, then I can see them putting up some sort of high-rise there. But all the other buildings surrounding the temple plot seem unlikely to be sold to LDS Inc. There is a Catholic Basilica across the Expressway. There is a large, government building to the side. And there is a HUGE high rise called the Watermark with a sign advertising it as retirement living.

This temple is going to be built right on an expressway in the middle of downtown Philly. Apparently the original site for the temple was purchased and then found to have some sort of contaminants on the property that precluded building the temple there. Construction seems to be about 2-3 years behind schedule??

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 08:07PM

2 years ago--they were tearing down buildings around the Mesa temple. I was told the lds church had purchased property there, too. I doubt they were building City Creek, but they were putting a lot of money into the area. I wonder if this is happening around most of the older temples, too.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 08:09PM

I just went to Philly last month and I liked it so much! I don't want to hear a story about it being ruined by more idiot Mormons :(

Posted by: morganizedreligion ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 08:10PM

Wow. If that is true, that is some prime land. Couldn't have been cheap. I used to live in Philly.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 08:17PM

In the future the Mormon temples will stand in the centers of LDS-economic zones featuring housing and retail. The outer wards will wither in dis-relief. Should the membership shrink to a couple million Americans, they could still support a few impressive urban islands. Add their ranches, resorts, and timberland to mix, and you get a mountain of equity wealth.

Mormonism will be reborn as the Marketplace of God.

Posted by: freckles ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 08:27PM

Are there property recOrds available? Isn't there historical guidelines they have to follow. I thought there was some issues with the height of the temple and money exchanged hands to allow for an exception.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.