Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 01:56PM

..this might be related to the Chinese Govt's. "brainwashed" comments about their representatives and it's marketing scheme........

http://www.businessinsider.com/nuskin-stock-halted-2014-1

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: January 16, 2014 02:04PM

...MLM's and pyramids are technically banned in China, and the main concern could be the Govt's lack of control over the distributors.........

Posted by: greensmythe ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 02:27PM

I never really understood why you can't buy this product at the same time that you buy toothpaste or shampoo.

What is the benefit, perceived or otherwise, to marketing a product, be it skin lotion or bottled water, through a cult? Why not just put the stuff on a store shelf and sell it like everything else?

That being said, I take a certain pleasure in seeing this cult's stock price decline. Would like to see the same happen to LDS Inc. stock price.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 03:54PM

It's a pity LDS Inc isn't listed on a stock exchange. It'd be entertaining beyond words to see how it is doing these days.

People are not always right when they vote with their wallet, but they are always sincere.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 05:44PM

MLMs don't just make money selling products, they make a ton of money from people who sell the product in the form of classes, fees, sales aids etc.

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 09:36PM

More than that -- MLMs make the MAJORITY of their money by pulling marks into their scam, and pumping money out of the marks. The majority of their money is made through the Ponzi scheme part of the whole thing.

The products they sell -- things like NuSkin -- are actually just involved in order to keep the schemes barely legal. Some court case years ago decided that as long as MLMs were selling a legitimate product, they could conduct their Ponzi schemes legally.

So that's why they all have a product they sell, and yet, if you look closely at what is happening, they de-emphasize that product and push the "prospecting" for new marks, ahem... "members."

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 04:19PM

Herbalife and Usana are dropping now too. With any luck the pyramid bubble will burst now.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 04:54PM

Mormonism and MLMs operate in similar ways. You pay money for a story. MLM products tend to have little or no value. Testimony adds perceived value, and hype adds a little more. Couple those with fantastic claims, and you have the illusion of exclusive value, i.e. only Mormonism can deliver the kingdom.

Fraud is the word for these systems.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 05:20PM

Does this mean they're not going to be BYU football's top sponsor anymore?

Posted by: Anon For This One ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 05:42PM

My mission president went to work at NuSkin after the mission. I was never overwhelmingly impressed by this guy on the mission, and afterwards, even while still a TBM, I lost all respect.

It takes great patience and ruffling of a few feathers, but standing ones ground on a principle of "real" honest dealings pays off in the end. What a great time in the world. Seems like the information age is pulling the curtain back on so many secreted and corupt orgs. and corps. Love it.

Posted by: glittertoots ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 07:32PM

I have a family member that works for Nu-Skin and is an event planner of sorts. Apparently of their next big events is that Nu-Skin is chartering an ENTIRE CRUISESHIP for some big event they are holding.

She always tells me stories about how much money they throw around and think nothing of it. They told me they were considering changing venues for an event they were planning and they had already put down a $200K deposit on the place that they would lose if they changed venues and for awhile they were seriously considering doing just that.

I've never understand the appeal of their products even on an international level. I've used their shampoos/conditioner and would compare it to Suave. There face products are nice, but comparable to Loreal or some other budget-friendly brand. I think I need to make my own brand of personal care products and start peddling them to the wealthy in China.

Date: January 16, 2014 07:37PM

...WHAT ????????

Posted by: byumormon ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 09:28PM

Nu skin plain as day scam! Pyramid city! Devils love there spoils. BestBuy also dropping like rock

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 09:45PM

I tell you something else about my experience with MLMs -- EVERY TIME (without fail) that somebody has invited me to join up with one of those scams, EVERY TIME without fail, it has been a local member of the LDS church!

Now, I know that there are alot of non-LDS involved in MLMs, but -- even though I live in the southeast US where there are very few Mormons -- the fact remains that everytime somebody has tried to get me entangled with one of those MLMs, it has been a fellow church member who was trying to do it.

BTW, I was never stupid enough to involve myself in one of those schemes. It is so obvious, the money is made in the member prospecting (ie, Ponzi) side of the scheme.

No thanks...

Posted by: up ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 12:06AM

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 12:27AM

Speaking of MLMs, has anyone heard of ReLiv? It is a dietary supplement that some of my TBM family have been selling. It is sold in the MLM fashion so I steer clear of it, but I am wondering if any of you have heard of it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.