Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: June 12, 2012 11:28AM

http://www.epinions.com/review/On_the_Way_Home_epi/content_591607336580

It's a long one. I had a lot to say about this 30 minute cheesefest.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sharapata ( )
Date: June 12, 2012 11:42AM

...and the comment I remember hearing repeatedly was - "Hey, that's the guy on CHiPs!" Using an actor that was recognizable to the masses somewhat detracted from the intent of the film. In other words, it came across as more fake than it may otherwise would have been.

Date: June 12, 2012 12:00PM

Robert Pine must have needed the money in a big way.

Posted by: shadowspade ( )
Date: December 09, 2012 02:57PM

I really liked his son in the new Star Trek movie.

Posted by: LOLILOL ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 04:50PM

OMFG...that's bad. I know he's a working actor, but come on, his kid is a movie star now, & can afford to keep his old dad out of crap like this.

Posted by: setrecord straight ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 02:55PM

you are nuts, must have been a bad missionary

Posted by: Aaron Hines ( )
Date: June 12, 2012 11:53AM

Great review, thanks for sharing it with us!

SO MANY stupid, stupid films to remember. I saw the VHS/filmstrip "Families are Forever" a year before I joined TSCC, and was totally amazed at how awful it was.

I still like some of them though...mostly the ones that didn't really have much to do with TSCC at all. The original short film Johnny Lingo is pretty great, as it deals more with self esteem and seeing someone's worth.

Also, The Phone Call with Marc McClure (Jimmy Olsen from the Christopher Reeve Superman films) was fun because the dialogue was so absurd.

Posted by: dragwit ( )
Date: June 12, 2012 12:54PM

eremis77 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great review, thanks for sharing it with us!
>
> SO MANY stupid, stupid films to remember. I saw
> the VHS/filmstrip "Families are Forever" a year
> before I joined TSCC, and was totally amazed at
> how awful it was.
>

This may give me away, but my sister was in Families are Forever. Lol she even had a speaking part giving a prayer over dinner! I don't know if she still does, but every year she would get a small royalty check from it. Oh the memories of living in the middle of the bs.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: June 12, 2012 01:06PM

Getting paid to pray - now there is a new twist on Mormonism - sign me up for that one.

Date: June 12, 2012 11:55AM

I won't deny that if I were rating it just on cheese factor, I would give it five stars! It's delightfully campy... But when I reconcile the message in the film to what I actually witnessed happen to my husband, I can't give it any accolades.

Posted by: jimbofisher ( )
Date: June 12, 2012 12:34PM

Haven't seen it, but On the way home is an awesome Neil Young song.

Date: June 12, 2012 02:17PM

From what I've been able to discern, Robert Pine isn't even LDS. I wonder how they got him to be in this film.

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: June 12, 2012 02:19PM

Date: June 12, 2012 02:21PM

Yeah, but given that the church doesn't even pay janitors, I wonder how much his paycheck could possibly be for a 30 minute film... and why he agreed to do it.

Maybe he was in the church at some point? *shrug*

Date: January 17, 2014 04:53PM

Then any other casting & hiring is possible.

Date: June 12, 2012 06:04PM

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 13, 2012 12:13AM

The amazing thing about the film is that it LOOKS like it's made for a non-Mormon audience. But non-Mormons would look at it and say, "wha?"

It looks like cheesy propaganda for a cult. There's no real plot. The only "conflict" that gets resolved is one that would only matter in Mormonism. If you don't already think Mormonism is true then it's not really a story with a point.

But this is the kind of stuff that Mormons eat up and ask for more. "Oh, look how wonderful our church is baptizing families right and left so they can be together forever...what OTHER church does that?" yadda yadda

Date: June 13, 2012 08:35AM

To me, it's a sickly sweet infomercial designed to play on the heartstrings of the gullible or the overly sentimental. It sells the church as the cure all for workaholics, bereavement, peer pressure, and bad marriages. And it's false advertising.

The LDS church cannot help anyone overcome any serious problems that they can't overcome on their own. In that film, everyone is so giddy about the prospect of being baptized because it will "bring them closer together" and connect them with their dead daughter. But no mention is made about all the friends and family who will be pushed away because they don't believe the right thing or have the same "standards".

The other day, my husband found one of his very estranged daughters on Facebook. She had dropped my husband's last name in favor of her mother's third husband's. We have reason to believe that my husband's young adult daughters, with whom he had once shared a close and loving relationship, may have been legally adopted by their stepfather. This man was not around during the first years of their lives. He was not the one who took care of them when they were at their most vulnerable. Hell, he wasn't even a legal adult when they were BORN!!

And he was not the one who worked full time throughout their lives to pay for their support. Apparently, LDS convert stepdad mostly sat on his ass playing video games and only recently has started working for a living to support his bio kids with my husband's ex.

My husband converted to the LDS church with his ex wife and kids, thinking it might help them save their marriage. But the LDS church did not save their marriage or my husband's relationships with his children. There's no way that relationship could have been saved because my husband's ex wife is a raging narcissist who doesn't care about anyone but herself. The LDS church is an excellent vehicle for her, because it helps bolster her facade of being a loving, family oriented, churchgoing woman. But the truth is, she's a faker and a liar, just like the church is. And both my husband's former wife and the church are very good at putting on convincing facades that make them look so much better and more appealing than they really are.

So when I see a schmaltzy church video like "On the Way Home", it makes me sick to my stomach because I know it's a big, slick lie full of false promises. It's designed to be used on the weak, the desperate, and the depressed to get them to join a toxic cult. And no one can ever get what that video promises just by joining a church, buying into the magical thinking, and going through the motions.

Anyway, it may sound bad for me to say this, but I am delighted my husband's first marriage didn't work out. I love my husband and am grateful he's with me. I'm grateful to his ex wife for kicking him out. I'm sorry his kids can't see what a fine man their father is, but if being adopted by their mother's husband really brings them peace, I'm all for it. I just wish my husband had met me first and had those kids with me. Because while I don't believe we would have had the rosy family depicted in the church video, the reality would have been a lot closer with me than it ever was with her.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2012 08:36AM by knotheadusc.

Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: December 09, 2012 02:13PM

My marriage actually improved by leaving the church. Yeah it suffered for a while, but eventually my wife realized that what makes our family a happy one has little or nothing to do with Mormonism. Now we're better off.

The only thing this church offers is a social network, and a pretentious one at that.

Posted by: SureSignOfTheNail ( )
Date: December 09, 2012 01:50PM

ROFLMAO

Drop this film in a Dumpster "On The Way Home"...

Date: December 09, 2012 05:27PM

LOL... Yes, that was an inspired bottom line, don't you think?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 09, 2012 02:19PM

Heartsell

Posted by: shakinthedust ( )
Date: December 09, 2012 02:45PM

Seems like a semi-updated semi-rehash of "Man's Search for Happiness." Sickly sweet, emotionally manipulative, and assuming every person's most consuming desire is to be a "forever family."

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 04:48PM

Mormon-driven divisiveness has torn my family to shreds. My educated brother and I have been disowned because of Mormonism.
This is how it works in the real world. Mormons tell each other fantasy stories, but they don't live in those stories.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 05:33PM

I wish a film would be made showing the real TSCC.
For example, an engaged couple could be getting ready for their wedding and the parents are in another room crying because they can't attend the wedding. THen it shows the actual wedding where the bride isn't wearing the dress she picked out and is no where near the groom etc.
They could have some other scenes showing the phoniness in different ways........ideas?

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 05:33PM

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 06:34PM

or how about a movie about how it REALLY is on a Sunday morning for Mormons when a family of 8 is rushing to get ready in the morning to attend church and how chaotic it is. Dad yelling and screaming for mom to get the kids ready, tired kids refusing to get up, too many people sharing one bathroom, kicking and screaming to the van about how much they don't want to go...or dad already at priesthood meetings 2 hours before and mom is on her own to pile kids in the car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2014 06:35PM by Tupperwhere.

Posted by: anjelikaxm ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 08:19PM

what about a video showing the wedding night of a Mormon couple and they just stare at eachother for an hour in an awkward way because they've always been taught sex was bad. How many Mormons have even been given a legitimate sex education? I had zero idea of what it was until I got raped in college

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 06:32PM

Your report was riveting. I loved it. And what a poor Robert Pine, eh? It's the only thing that stuck with me. Man, the guy needed cash.

Date: January 17, 2014 06:34PM

That he would never ask his kids (namely Chris) for money.

Posted by: Raging ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 07:09PM

That little film is absolutely disgusting. Preying on those who have lost a family member. Preying on those who fear being separated from family by a tragic death. It is evil manipulation and exploitation of human suffering. To realize they do this to then have the opportunity to manipulate money and obedience from their victims for the rest of their lives is breathtaking.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.