Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: January 18, 2014 11:09AM

This isn't the 19th century when America was largely rural and did not have modern systems to share information.

So for the JW ladies who just rang my doorbell on a Saturday morning interrupting me, get a clue...I know all about your cult and I'm still not interested. LEAVE US ALONE!

Yeah I just slammed the door on two elderly ladies, one with a cane. And I don't feel guilty.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 18, 2014 11:24AM

The JW religion itself is pretty antiquated. The last time I had JWs at my door, I thought "Really?" These guys were in their 30s too. It's incredible the nonsense people get suckered into.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: January 18, 2014 11:30AM

You are, unfortunately, right. Back is 1973 when I made a stab at being Mayor of the city in which I live, most women were home during the day except in certain districts, especially the wealthy ones. As time went on, fewer and fewer were home during the day and door-to-door campaigning became limited to only a few hours. Today, it is limited to Saturdays for candidates and even then one must not campaign in orthodox neighborhoods. It is too bad because it gave candidates the ability to really meet constituents one on one and for people to know the candidates.

While I found few people are interested in religion, they are interested (though less so today) in people running for office. Less than 1% of people did not invite me in. 58 consecutive people signed a nominating petition for me. Even when (on the couple of times and not during a campaign) I was out with mishies, I almost always got the people to talk to us. Perhaps it was because I got them to talk about themselves and what they thought, rather than the mishie drivel,

The JWs are selling more false doctrine and have cult control similar to TSCC.

BTW, one advantage I had was a list of who was living at the addresses - voter list. If, perchance the people were not living there still, I could greet the new people warmly and could even sign them up as voters. Of course, I would let them tell me whatever they wanted about where they came from and what they thought - not just myself. Actually, the voter registration card told me where they were from, if new.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2014 02:37PM by rhgc.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 18, 2014 12:00PM

I wrote a post about this back in 2011. I still feel the same way about it. The Morg is still living in the 1950's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2014 01:45PM by summer.

Posted by: Facing Tao ( )
Date: January 18, 2014 01:14PM

Seems it has been moved to a new URL:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,346949

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 18, 2014 01:45PM

Thanks, FacingTao. For some reason when I googled it the old URL came up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2014 01:46PM by summer.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: January 18, 2014 01:21PM

that's why they tried the online thing. That doesn't seem to be working either though. wah wah wah

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 18, 2014 01:25PM

A lot of people don't even open doors anymore, unless they're expecting someone, with crazy home invasions and stuff like that going on.

When I was a kid, mothers were at home to answer the door and it was often a salesman. These days, both parents often work, so you'd knock on a lot of doors before you'd even find someone at home to open one.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: January 18, 2014 01:29PM

So true, I won't even open the door for my own landlord or family unless I know they're coming. Maybe I will change my mind when I get a gun.

Posted by: Facing Tao ( )
Date: January 18, 2014 01:27PM

I read through the old thread... a good point to remember is that the door-to-door model does actually work for primary purpose: to solidify mishies to their religion.

Caedmon writes in the mentioned thread:

--
Ahhh, but I think this model still suits TSCC.

Why?

Because the primary purpose of a mission is to the anchor the missionary to TSCC for life as a tithe-paying, meeting attending, temple going, raising-up-seed-to-serve-the-lard TBM.
Going door-to-door keeps the missionary physically busy (as well as tired) and mentally/emotionally centered on TSCC. Any opposition from the harrassed just reinforces the teaching that satan is busy working in opposition to the church therefore it is TRUE!

Converts, if any, are secondary to the main purpose.
--

Not to mention that this indoctrination program costs TSCC very little (mishies' families pay for the fun, for the most part), and the returns are great: a much higher percentage of members who went on a mission become lifelong tithe payers. In other words, the missionary program has a great "ROI" as it is. As a bonus it occasionally reels in a few new members.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2014 01:28PM by Facing Tao.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 18, 2014 01:48PM

The church knows the whole missionary program is unproductive as far as gaining new members. The missionary program is about getting the young priesthood holders away from their friends and the rest of the world at a time when most young people leave home and start living their adult lives on their own.

It's another church mind control program. Like all church programs, useless busywork is in the mix. Knocking doors is part of the busywork.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: January 18, 2014 02:32PM

Getting them away from their families is exactly what it does. The missionaries often marry someone from their mission area and it further removes them from living near their families. The romances they had before are no longer there. This is not unintentional. In truth, TSCC wants to be the family. Similarly, older missionary couples are taken away from their children and grandchildren so TSCC takes their place.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: January 18, 2014 02:22PM

Someone knocking on my door uninvited as a cold contact... automatically infuriates me. This is probably the same response many experience in this day and age. There was a time when rural areas were so isolated that people were glad to have a visitor of any kind. Today, most of us are busy, and value our home time. We don't want uninvited interruptions. We also have no need of this sort of contact to shop or browse services or merchandise. We can do both quickly and efficiently via the internet. You can even shop for religious or spiritual "services" on the net. Actually, you can get a step ahead of those types by learning what their religion really is by Googling it. And a lot of people have. Door-knocking by proselyters is now very ineffective.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 18, 2014 02:28PM

True. If gaining new members was really their goal, they'd forget about the missionary program and concentrate on spending a bazillion dollars on advertising.

Then those people who are searching for a religion would find them and maybe investigate it further.

They do spend a lot of money on advertising, but it seems to be more geared to their image, than bringing in new members. They no longer desire to be thought of as 'peculiar.'

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.