Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tauna ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 10:56AM

Here's the link

http://www.mormontimes.com/article/20103/Guessing-leads-to-knowing

And here's the part that made me go, huh????

"In the early days of the church, many of the Saints, marveling at the great new vistas that Joseph Smith's teachings had opened to them, could not help but wonder about many things.

They speculated, making guesses about how this or that newly revealed idea might fit with older teachings or with new ideas from the world outside the church.

And they tried their guesses out with other people, testing them. In those exciting early days, their speculations ranged so far that some ideas fell off the edges of the gospel, and we no longer consider them even possible as doctrines. I won't list them here; if you're a student of church history, a nice list of those rejected speculations has already popped into your mind.

When we read those early talks and speeches, diaries and letters, articles and books, we must keep in mind that much of what we're reading may be the results of thought experiments, guesses, attempts to make new ideas fit.

We're no different today — our minds are going to ponder and question and wonder, because that's what human beings do. The only danger comes when we forget that the ideas that come to mind are only guesses. We tell our friends or colleagues or students, and the idea appeals to them as well. What if. But as the idea gets repeated, the "what if" drops off and people start talking as if it were doctrine.

That's a natural part of the way public knowledge grows. When many people around us speak as if something is true, our brains automatically move the idea into the "truth basket." But as soon as we store something there, we stop doubting it.

So we must be careful that when it comes to the gospel, nothing slips into the "truth basket" without having been approved by the prophets who have been appointed guardians of the doctrines of the church."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 11:00AM

Wow, what a great way to explain all the crap the early brethren spouted. They were not only speaking as men, they were letting themselves get carried away by speculation.

Why does anyone listen to Card? He's batsh!t crazy and a terrible author (I know, I know, there are many fans of Ender's Game).

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 11:00AM

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 11:09AM

"so we must be careful that when it comes to the gospel, nothing slips into the 'truth basket' without having been approved by the prophets..."

So for Orson Scoot Crud the following must be in his truth basket as it has been approved by the prophets:
- Adam is God (Young)
- Blacks are slaves in heaven (Young)
- God was once a man (Smith)
- God was not once a man (Hinkley)
- God was once a man (Hinlkey)
- Polygamy is Celestial Marriage (Smith)
- Polygamy is not doctrinal (Hinkley)
- Blacks cannot have the Priesthood in this life (Young)
- Blacks can have the Priesthood (Kimball)
- Don't marry Blacks if you're White (Current Aaronic Priesthood Manual)

Phew...it's hard work knowing what's in and what's out of the basket at any given time...

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 11:36AM

this guy's mind is twisted. He just talking out loud because even he can't make sense of mormon doctrinal inconsistencies. Prophets = the blind leading the blind.

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 12:36PM

It almost sounds like he's trying to say: "Since the people knew, deep down in their hearts, that Joseph Smith was making this crap up as he went along, they wondered how far THEY could stretch credulity before sounding like complete crackpots."

OK, maybe that's just what I think on RfM.

Did you notice a phrase he slipped in there that I've seen as a catchphrase in other early church descriptions? It's "exciting early days"; it paints a picture of eager converts listening intently to the latest revelations directly from God as they take a break from communally building a paradise on earth. Church movies and paintings play on that too. It isn't much different from what you'd see in a communist dictatorship, where everyone is freshed-faced & working toward an idealistic shining path to tomorrow.....

Sorry, thinking too much here.

Posted by: Rose2008 ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 01:21PM

Thread Killer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry, thinking too much here.

That "thinking too much" thing. I've got it bad. It fuels my insomnia, but it's probably what helped me get out of the church. It may not be such a bad thing.

Your ideas resonated with me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.