Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Krampus! ( )
Date: January 27, 2014 03:23AM

I am thinking that good people who are closeted unbelievers are generally unintentionally doing a disservice to both mormons and the exmormon community, on the premise that more unbelievers (especially the most respected unbelievers) who make themselves known, will instill greater pressure on the the church to let go of its cultish abusive ways. What say ye?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: maddyb ( )
Date: January 27, 2014 03:31AM

Some people have to stay in, even if they don't want to. It could hurt family relationships, marriages, etc. If you're a minor and your parents are TBM, you could get kicked out. If you're going to BYU, you can't tell people you no longer believe, it's too risky.

Overall I think it's much better to leave, obviously, but the people who stay in probably need to.

Posted by: krampus! ( )
Date: January 27, 2014 03:44AM

Is it really that bad to make it known that you nolonger believe, while going to BYU? A fundamentalist belief in mormon mythology is not necessarily a requirement for enrollment. Give me one example of a child kicked out of their parents home for simply not believing in the mythology. Most likely, if they get kicked out, it would be for other complications. In the long run, it is not fair to family members, including spouses, to be left out in the dark. I dont think mormon families get broken up for one spouse nolonger believing in the mythology. It would have to be do to other complications as well.

Posted by: raygun ( )
Date: January 27, 2014 04:36AM

I go to BYu and yes yes yes you will get kicked out on your ass if you are no longer a believer. It is a well understand fact here at this school.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 27, 2014 05:42AM

Krampus, you can "believe" whatever you want to, but we have had numerous stories on this board over the years of spouses divorcing (and sometimes kids getting kicked out) over a lack of belief.

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: January 27, 2014 05:52AM

As well as many stories from people getting 'kicked out' of BYU and other LDS-owned schools for unbelief. This is done through the loss of their 'ecclesiatical endorsement.'

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: January 27, 2014 03:43AM

I agree with you OP. I hear lots of social and cultural, some financial reasons to continue to associate with the cult fraud known as the Mormon church.

Works for them, I understand.

The cost is paid by others though, many, many others. Especially the thousands of BIC children that will never get a shot at a childhood without the programming of the Mormon church. Allies of Mormons are not allies of former Mormons. Broad statement, I am sure flawed and open to hear how people are succeeding at both, but I certainly don't see the benefit of go alongs or apologists to date. Get us some insider stuff that can be used to expose their financial or operational fraud. Do something from the inside that whacks the bigoted beast from Utah in the nose and gets its attention for once. Turn it into a listener instead of a talker.

Most survivors of war will tell you the real heroes are those that died on the battlefield.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2014 03:46AM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: January 27, 2014 06:11AM

Krampus! Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [the] more unbelievers
> (especially the most respected unbelievers) who
> make themselves known, will instill greater
> pressure on the the church to let go of its
> cultish abusive ways.

> What say ye?

Positive thought but doubtful.
The cult takes no responsibility.
The cult cannot make the connection: "our abuse is producing defections."
Abuse and oppression are rather a way of life, a calling endorsed by their god.

The closet Mormon is participating in a very expensive 'hobby.'

Posted by: monday ( )
Date: January 27, 2014 06:26AM

there should be a way to enforce Amendment 18 , because they are breaking a law a showing deliberate Discrimination against those who obviously leave the church. You have a legal right to not belong to ANY church at all. (I believe it's number 18- anyway it's the one that states you have a right to not have a religion as an Adult U.S. Citizen)

Posted by: SeaNeverMo ( )
Date: January 27, 2014 08:10AM

There is no amendment specifically calling out the right to no religion. The first amendment prohibits government from passing laws establishing a religion -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_amendments_to_the_United_States_Constitution

This amendment is very misunderstood. Most people assumes it means any organization cannot discriminate. Wrong. It specifically calls out government. A private organization can still discriminate against those who do not believe as they do.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: January 27, 2014 07:46AM

Krampus! Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> more unbelievers(especially the most respected unbelievers) who
> make themselves known, will instill greater pressure on the the church to let go of its cultish abusive ways. What say ye?

I agree it would be a good thing for more disbelievers to "come out."

But two points:

1) "Cultish abusive ways" are only a part of the problem. The more fundamental issue is that TSCC is built on a series of historical lies, and that's not fixable. If they come clean on the First Vision, on the Book of Mormon, on modern-day prophets, on the Book of Abraham, and on the priesthood restoration, the whole essence of Mormonism collapses. There is no reformation possible short of dismantling the foundation of the organization, and then the organization loses its entire identity; it transparently becomes a group of people exploiting other people.

2) I don't want TSCC to improve. I want it to go away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2014 08:02AM by left4good.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.