Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 11:55AM

We have resigned, but need the official letter to say so.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 11:57AM

I'm "a disbelieving partial attender"

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 11:58AM

on February 1st, but no letter yet. He has had his hands full--so I'm not surprised.

Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 12:06PM

Posted by: resipsaloquitur ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 12:14PM

Resigned. Took ten days from sending letter to receiving final Dodge letter. Of course, I'm an attorney and threatened legal action up front.

Posted by: sukiyhtaky ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 04:42PM

I didn't threaten legal action, remain friendly with the bishop/SP/ward members and it took a week. I receive no pleas to return, no love bombing other than the normal banter, the same lame jokes and email quizzes still arrive weekly, and sadly NO COOKIES. Treat them courteously and you get the same in return.

Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 12:22PM

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 12:42PM

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 12:44PM

Resigned last November.

Posted by: rmw ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 12:45PM

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 12:55PM

Also labelled by the Ward as Do Not Engage In Discussion- or whatever they call it when a person is branded as a threat to their test monkeys.

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 01:18PM

I like that title. It gets to the point!

I'd make myself a badge and walk around with it proudly...

Posted by: deb 49 ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 01:01PM

Came w/in a hair of joinng. been presbyterian all of my life. canceled baptism twice since late feb. ALMOST was a member of the Mormon faith.

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 01:08PM

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 01:22PM

I resigned late last year. Been out for ten years.

Posted by: Virg ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 01:29PM

I've gone to the ocasional get together at church (1 or 2 activities), 3 ysa family home evenings, 2 weddings and 2 sacrament services in 5 years. Yeah I've kept count, lol. Initially I just didn't care to go... but it wasn't until last year that I took the time and studied my way out I guess. No one knows that though.

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 01:36PM

resigned 9-9-09

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 01:51PM

I haven't gone in two years, and never will go again. My wife won't either.

Some in my family knows, most don't. Bishop still thinks I'm in, but I told him and the stk pres that I won't go until they make it more like a college class where different points of view can be discussed openly.

Don't know when I'll resign.

Posted by: alan ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 01:54PM

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 02:00PM

Haven't attended in 2 1/2 years now. Wife hasn't either. If a relative has a missionary farewell or homecoming I will probably show up for that. But that is about it.

Daughter is planning on a temple wedding, it will be extremely uncomfortable for DW and I to wait outside with all the sinners.

Bishop is afraid to ask me anything specific as he knows I have studied my way out and he has no answers. SP is same way.

Just stay on the rolls for family reasons at this point. When folks and in-laws pass away will likely formally resign. Some in family know I don't believe it, most are still clueless.

Posted by: piper ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 02:02PM

I left in 1998, but still haven't resigned. I keep going back and forth whether I even care enough to bother...

Posted by: fallenangela ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 03:21PM

I too ask myself "why bother?" regarding resigning. I have not attended regularly, or even irregularly for that matter, for 17 years. I suppose my folks have sent my info to my current area leadership because I got a letter a few years ago but that's it. At this point, I don't see the point of resigning. Although I don't like to be counted on their membership rolls I'm not concerned about it enough to send the letter. My parents don't hassle me about the church and haven't for a long time so I guess it's my way of giving back - by not having them feel hurt over an actual resignation. If I ever felt pressure I might decide differently but until then, I don't care.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 02:03PM

I've been to church once in the last 35 years. I guess that makes me "less active."

Posted by: PinkPoodle ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 02:22PM

Resigned and Happy!!

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 03:11PM

I am MINO, attending non-believer. It has become more and more obvious that Mrs Truthseeker will react very poorly to any overt move on my part to officially separate from the TSCC.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 03:18PM

As a multi-generational member, resigning isn't really disappearing, it's just putting blank fields where my name used to be.

I show up as inactive and unresponsive in a lot of local reports. I show up as a guy too told to be an elder. I kind of like that overt "I reject it all" approach rather than disappearing.

They rarely bother me, and when they do, they walk away feeling less good about themselves, (per discussion, and not necessarily the garden hose response.... Not that there's anything wrong with that!)

However.... I need to resign someday, lest some surviving relative thinks I need to go to my final resting place in goofy, cultish apparel.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2011 03:21PM by jpt.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 03:25PM

active but mentally out.

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 03:26PM

Resigned in spirit in late 70's. Resigned for real in 1992.

Posted by: Flying Under the Radar ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 03:38PM

I am inactive and I am generally not approached by members and engaged in discussion on the church. Wife is active, but I am not listed in the stake directory (I know of an openly gay guy that is listed) and I am not listed on the sheet about tithing settlement. Wife gets mad and wants to know why I am not listed and the only thing I can tell her is that it isn't my church so I don't know.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 03:53PM

Resigned 2 years ago.

Posted by: nebularry ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 03:55PM

Resigned and have my "Dodge" letter to prove it! Eleven years out and loving it.

Posted by: Craig Stevenson ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 04:11PM

Completely inactive for over 5 years.
Resigned received letter in December.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 04:14PM

Resigned official Sept 2010

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 04:16PM

Posted by: searching27 ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 04:23PM

We sent our resignation letter in as a family early last year and have been out now for almost an entire year... but we were inactive for about 3 years before doing that.

Posted by: wannabe ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 07:05PM

I think I have a better chance of getting my family out in one piece if I do it gradually. If I resigned today the walls would go up immediately.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 07:28PM

You're the lucky one, Deb. :o)

Posted by: 87vetteguy ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 07:43PM

I am mentally and physically absent from church now. I have no intention of going back. I have no ties there. I may never resign, but I wont go back.

I was mentally out several years ago.

Deb.. YOU did the right thing, not getting involved. You saved yourself a lot of grief.

Posted by: Anon455 ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 07:47PM

I am considered inactive because I do not attend anything....however, the missionaries have been to my place several times, asking me to take the first discussion again. The more they do that, the less I want to attend the LDS church. In fact, I learned that the ward secretaries are now listing names of people who do not attend at least once monthly. Talk about BIG BROTHER.

Why can't they leave me alone???

Posted by: possiblypagan ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 07:51PM

January 21 2011 at age 47. Received Dodge letter saying I was out one month later. No indication from anyone that they know I am out. My home teachers still come over, that is fine with me, I like them. One is my next door neighbor who rides a motorcycle and dresses in biker leather sometimes. Doesn't raise an eyebrow when I tell him he looks badass. He and his wife were sealed in the temple a couple of months ago, I mention this to show that there ARE some interesting, laidback active members that are worth talking to. I wonder if the bishop is just leaving well enough alone until it comes time to re-arrange the home teaching teams. This is the first time I've allowed home teachers to visit anyway.

When I resigned, I also sent letters to the bishop and the stake pres asking for no contact. There were no attempts on their part to do so :)

I live a block from the Jordan River Temple in the center of the Mo hive.

edited to add a few relevent tidbits.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2011 08:13PM by possiblypagan.

Posted by: notion ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 07:51PM

I graduated from "active but mentally out" to "don't bother me inactive" almost a year ago. I have no intention of going back either ...

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 08:09PM

Posted by: Sandie ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 08:13PM

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 08:15PM

I'm a shadow Mormon and attend to keep peace in my family, but I am mentally out of TSCC.

Posted by: fearguiltpromise ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 08:16PM

Resigned, along with two adult children and one underage, but still awaiting the Dodge letter. Husband resigned in 09'

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 08:18PM

Posted by: nomoinwy ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 08:31PM

I resigned May, 2001, and took my son (a child of record) with me. Husband is still on the rolls, but doesn't believe much. Daughter is still a child of record because husband isn't ready to resign. She is his biological child; whereas, my son is not.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.