Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: The Holy Spearmint ( )
Date: January 27, 2014 05:18PM

One of the reasons for my recent swing back into disaffection was due to my bishop. I respect the man for many reasons related to his life away from The Church™. He's been the first bishop in a long time that has offered real, practical advice instead of the usual Mormon platitudes. I went to him seeking advice on some relationship struggles my wife and I were having. He gave me some great direction that eventually led to a non-LDS marriage counselor.

So whence the disaffection? Not two days after my meeting with the bishop the RS president, who is a good friend and neighbor, pulled me aside and started asking about specific things I'd shared with the bishop. I probably would've talked with her about it anyways since we're good friends and she helps me see my wife's perspective, but to have confirmation the bishop was sharing things outside the Cone of Silence™ was a bit disheartening. Turns out he brought it up in Ward Council™ that we were having family problems and shared specifics. I guess he decided that what I shared wasn't Secret, It Was Sacred™.

As an aside, that RS president requested to be released and is really disaffected with the BS this bishop slings about in context of his Holy Station™ as a Judge in Israel®.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hold Your Tapirs ( )
Date: January 27, 2014 05:22PM

That's out of line, to share that amount of detail in Ward Council. Now everyone knows about it. Sickening.

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: January 27, 2014 05:30PM

That is so gross that you cannot trust a confidential conversation.

ETA: I am not a nice person. I would have been in his face so fast it would have caused his hair to blow back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2014 05:31PM by notamormon.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: January 27, 2014 05:39PM

I've had that happen.
I just couldn't figure it out. Years later I realized that my personal details were being discussed in ward counsil! What a bunch of *icks!

I have found comfort in the humor of Cocodile Dindee

"if anyone has a problem we just tell so and so and they tell everyone else and then it's not a problem anymore."

Think about it...their game is up and it's not a problem..you will NEVER confide in a Mormon again.

glad you are getting the help you need. good luck

Posted by: The Holy Spearmint ( )
Date: January 27, 2014 05:43PM

I definitely had words with him after I found out he was sharing. He's called my wife into his office a few times since to discuss some of the specifics. She's pretty blunt with him and doesn't share anything beyond what he already knows.

The thing that saddens me the most is that he's truly a good man whose goodness is distorted by the power trip that is the Priesthood. In some warped way he probably thought he was inspired to share and was honestly helping us. It makes me wonder how much true goodness towards humanity is lost to religious adherence.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 27, 2014 05:57PM

Telephone---Telegraph---tellabishop

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: January 27, 2014 06:07PM

I knew a ridiculous number of private things about neighbors from Ward Council & PEC - even then it made me uncomfortable - now it is extremely disgusting to think of.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2014 06:07PM by The Oncoming Storm - bc.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.