Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: yaya preps ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 01:09PM

Literally a minute ago, I said goodbye to the missionaries for this area. They wanted to give me a "message," but I told them I was well-educated about the church.

I did inform them about the essays, which they hadn't heard of. I told them there were 5 essays put out by the church, and two of them dealt with the First Vision and with polygamy. I told them that I go online to find out about the church, with some sites pro-Mormon and others anti-Mormon, and that I get tired of both type of websites.

I didn't really want to challenge them too much, since the bishop of the ward here has been in contact with my father: former bishop, high council for 20 years, SP counselor, patriarch, three missions, etc. I told them I hoped to see them at church and that was that.

Do you think I did those boys any good? Did I say too much?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: January 30, 2014 02:37PM

I was reading this site just as they knocked/pounded on my door. That's why I thought it was funny.

Knowing how missionaries are, I may agree to a couple of "discussions" that they can use to look good on their weekly stats. Then I can ask them some gentle but pointed questions. "I was just reading in Section 132 where the Lord wants Joseph Smith to make a sacrifice for his sins...Did he really commit any sins? Wasn't he a prophet? And do I need to sacrifice for my sins too?"

Anyway.

Posted by: Richard G. Spot ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 02:51PM

Me and my wife (freedom) just resigned recently. I hadn't thought about how we would deal with missionaries until I had an idea. This will need to be executed by someone who is willing to bash with Mormons (not me).

Let them in. Become the "Golden Investigator" and get their hopes up. When it comes time for them to "invite" you to be baptized, say "no." Let them use every gimmick in the book to get you to commit, but always answer with "no" on the baptism question and NEVER give them a reason. (that will drive them insane)

Then, tell them that you think that in order for one to be truly converted, one must gain a testimony of Joseph Smith being a true prophet. If JS is a prophet, it's all true. If JS is not a prophet, it's all false. Get them to agree. Then ask them if JS ever had any incorrect translations in any of his works. Get them to say that he didn't.

Then start asking them questions about the Book of Abraham and the translations. Show them the real translation v. Joe Smith's and ask them why he got it wrong.

Finish with the statement from Joseph Fielding Smith: "Mormonism, as it is called, must stand or fall on the story of Joseph Smith. He was either a prophet of God, divinely called, properly appointed and commissioned, or he was one of the biggest frauds this world has ever seen. There is no middle ground." Doctrine of Salvation 1:188

Shatter those young testimonies to pieces.

Then ask them if they still feel like spreading the "gospel" of Mormonism.

They will NEVER come back to your house again.

Date: January 30, 2014 03:04PM

I think J. Reuben Clark, LDS lawyer extraordinaire, made a similar statement, as did Hinckley himself shortly before his death. Doubling down like that is incredibly foolish and arrogant. It's conceding that a prophet needs to be 100%, not 95% correct, and Joseph Smith of all people wasn't always correct. Maybe not even 50% correct, now that I think about it.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 03:12PM

yaya preps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> .......... Joseph Smith of all
> people wasn't always correct. Maybe not even 50%
> correct, now that I think about it.

Kind you are!!
Having trouble thinking of one single correct JS thing.
- Something that was not simply fabricated.

He did have a most 'fantastercal ermagernashun,' albeit admittedly repetitive.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.