Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 08:39PM

What is it about the colors of a sunset that makes us stop what we're doing and stand in awe?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: releve ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 08:55PM

I think that we are drawn to sunsets because they are beautiful and they come at a time in our day when we have a moment to enjoy them. I used to witness some beautiful sunrises, over the Wasatch Mountains, but I was on my way to work and didn't have the time to stop and breath in the experience.

Have you considered how personal a sunset or sunrise is? We each view it from a slightly different perspective, so we each see a different picture and that is the case even if we are in the same location. Then when you factor in all of the different locations, there are billions of sunrises and sunsets each day. That's a lot of beauty.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 08:55PM

They remind me of my favorite foods - watermelon, mangos, pineapple, and passion fruit.

Other than that, I don't know.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 09:04PM

Whenever I see a beautiful sunset, I can't help thinking: that looks like a great painting. I want to go home and see if they're showing it on TV. Colors by the NBC peacock. All in the comfort and safety of my state approved housing. I'll sip coffee and fret over the yellows fading to orange, the pinks fading to purple, and the purples fading to night.

Agoraphobia is a terrible master.

Posted by: saahetna ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 10:28PM

Dear heaven. I'm sorry for the erratic support of posters on this site. I want you to know I stopped and took notice of something so very sad. I wish you peace.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 10:50PM

It's good. I write about things that I need to exorcise. I have a lot of demons. People here have been very supportive and tolerant towards me. Thanks for your kind thoughts.

Date: January 30, 2014 11:03PM

I get caught up in the poetry of your writing.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 12:10AM

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 09:07PM

I particularly love sunsets as the sun sinks into the ocean. Nothing like it.

Date: January 30, 2014 09:13PM

You can almost hear the tsssss when the sun seems to sink into the water.

Date: January 30, 2014 09:22PM

I wish we had a like button.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 09:23PM

Sunsets engage all of your senses in such a way that for a few moments you are forced to connect intimately with yourself--they stop time.

A sensitivity to the air is triggered, to the temperature, to the place, the time-it's not just the colors--it's the depth and the expanse and the feeling down deep that you are part of something bigger, and that time always has an ending and a beginning and yet it doesn't. The sun will be back and will set again but it will never be the same as this one now, compelling you to feel more intricate sensations at once than you thought possible, thereby living your past, present at future all at once.

Or, its just cause they are so spectacularly beautiful. :)

Date: January 30, 2014 09:24PM

One day I'll see it. :-)

Date: January 30, 2014 10:31PM

I've seen it lots of times out in the big expanse near Green River UT, even have some awesome photos of it.

Date: January 30, 2014 10:32PM

I posted this on another thread, and it's so beautiful I'll post it again, even though it's the night sky, with a few sunset clouds thrown in:

http://www.jackfusco.com/Timelapse

Date: January 30, 2014 10:46PM

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 09:24PM

In southern Alberta we have some breathtaking sunsets...and sunrise too. I've taken it upon my self to photograph as many as I can with my DSLR...and share them on my facebook page for my friends to see. I also print my favorites on high quality photo paper, mount them and donate them to charities I support for fundraisers.

Ron Burr

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2014 09:32PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Date: January 30, 2014 09:30PM

I have a friend who lives in Sonoma county California and she posts lots of pictures of sunsets on Facebook. I'll take a sunset over a religious or political post any day.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 09:59PM

wine country girl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is it about the colors of a sunset that makes
> us stop what we're doing and stand in awe?

For myself, the sun is the source of life itself, the source of the Earth and all earthly energy. The light that powers us, the colors that nourish our bodies and the bodies of the gross material foods that we eat, the living energy that we inhale as air. The full spectrum of radiations that give life to our whole complex ecosystem.

At sunset, we can look directly at this great giver of life, and absorb the many life-giving, healing radiations it emits. It feeds our inner, spiritual eye with spiritual radiation, and awakens us to our own divinity.

Thank you SUN! OM AUM OM

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 09:59PM

Enjoyed two weeks worth recently on the beach in Mazatlan, Mexico. I think sometimes it means the end of a busy day.

Date: January 30, 2014 10:11PM

It's even better when you're with a friend and one of you points and says, "Look!" And you share the entire sunset in silence.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 10:14PM

Sunrise, sunset, Sunrise, sunset, swiftly flow the days! I can barely stand Utah, but I do have to admit that their sunsets are pretty nice.

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 10:24PM

There is a restaurant on the beach in Panama City Beach, FL called Schooners. Each evening at sunset, they stop everything, have a ceremony and toast the sunset. It's pretty cool. PCB is unique in that it lies on the panhandle, so you can see both the sunrise and sunset on the beach.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 10:38PM

When I was living in Colorado with my boyfriend, I'd oftentimes leave to come back to Utah before the sun came up. Seeing that sun start to rise in my rear view mirror out on that "flat horizon" as I started across Wyoming was absolutely breathtaking.

I saw some amazing sunrises and sunsets on my drives back and forth.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 10:41PM

that is a pretty scene.

Posted by: Facing Tao ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 10:49PM

I always remember an evening many, many years ago in Mendocino, California as I watched the Sun descending below the horizon in the Pacific.. and then the horizon disappeared little by little as darkness fell over the ocean. Magical! :)

Posted by: jkjkjkjk ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 10:52PM

It is something we can easily see which puts us in our place. It is giant and beautiful and like an embrace from a parent when we are a small child.

That is what we are, children, tiny specs in an unimaginably complex universe we can't even begin to understand. In someway that is comforting and far less lonely than if we believe we are the masters. I acknowledge that there is more than I can every comprehend and take comfort in that. A sunset or a starry night is far more inspiring than any church service.

Posted by: slipperyslope ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 11:20PM

Sunsets:
Tinted poems
harmonic visions
bold splashes
shy adieus
Supernal solarium.

Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 12:08AM

Sunsets over the Caribbean are magic. I have never seen enough of them.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 12:15AM

Because they are beautiful and there is something in human nature that responds to beauty. Funny that you should post this today because I got my sunset tattoo earlier this evening. I love sunsets because it seems like they always cheer me up after a bad day. Not just with their beauty but with the thought that, as Scarlett O'Hara said "Tomorrow is another day." The bad day is going to end, the sun will come up tomorrow, just keep moving forward, there is always a new start available.

What's not to like about sunsets?

Posted by: Facing Tao ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 12:29AM

"What's not to like about sunsets?"

Yeah, they're awesome even over TX central plains (even if it doesn't have an ocean, or mountains... sunsets are still great! :)

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 12:44AM

Sunsets over the water, orcas playing in the pool of gold, the air filled with the smell of lavender, roses, and salt water,purple and pink snow capped mountains.

This is the reason I live on an island in Puget sound.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.