Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: athens415 ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 02:32PM

So long story short I was all into going to EFY for the first time when I was a TBM. Then I figured out it was all bull sh*t. I still have to go though because I haven't told my parents and I don't plan on in the next few years. What do you do all day at it? If it helps in going to the Santa Barbra one. One of the only things that I'm excited about is getting to live in a new city for a week without parents, but if I have to go to church sh*t all day it's gonna suck. Also, what are the chances of meeting a non member or inactive girl (I'm a guy) that was forced to go that I can ditch with?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2014 03:03PM by athens415.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 02:56PM

I went to EFY years ago, so this might all be different now. I remember it being pretty structured. We were all assigned to a group, with 2 adult leaders, that we hung out with all day. I don't remember them taking attendance, but they might have, and if the leader noticed anyone was missing, they probably would freak out. The activities are a mix of church stuff and fun stuff. I remember there being lots of "getting to know you" stuff, encouraging you to make friends with the other kids. Then there are a lot of basically Sunday school classes. At night they usually have a big dance or something for all the groups to hang out together. We didn't get to see anything of the city where I went, we just stayed on campus the entire week, but maybe it'll be different in Santa Barbra.

I've never heard of a non-member going to EFY. I suppose the inactive girl being forced to go is possible, but I wouldn't count on it.

Posted by: jujubee ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 03:53PM

When I went, we went to talks and lessons (usually we could chose which ones to listen to). There were dances, talent show, choir program, out door games, testimony meeting...etc. I actually liked it.

Posted by: Clearheaded ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 04:35PM

Good luck, last year after efy, a bunch of kids came home scarily (even though I was tom at the time) brainwashed. Super committed to going on missions, and one girl even took herself out of school to be home schooled because of the bad environment. It was scary. When I was a kid, I knew people who presented at efy who were child abusers (not an exaggeration), so my children have NEVER been.

Posted by: Clearheaded ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 04:36PM

Posted by: The Holy Spearmint ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 04:41PM

I don't know about now, but when I was young EFY was more expensive than other options. Due to my parents being Tithing-Poorâ„¢ I was able to convince them to send me to a week long sports camp that was $100 cheaper.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 05:24PM

I think you have a good chance of having fun. Yeah, there will be some boring talks you have to listen to, but I bet you can find some like minded rebels.

Posted by: xombie ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 11:12AM

I went 3 years as a youth and was a counselor when I came back from the Mish.

The format has changed since the mid-90s given the TSCCs crackdown on fun. In my day we would have 3 dances (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday), a vareity show (Tuesday), and a CES fireside and testmony meeting (Thursday) to fill the evenings. The days were filled with several a la carte classes/workshops ranging from how to bear your testimony to nonmembers to preparing for a mission. There were service projects and a ton of group games. The point was to build a picturesque world to hide away the flaws of the Church.

As a counselor, they had removed one of the dances (Monday night) and included more spiritally edifiying activities. The games were there but it felt way more diluted. Before you were in a group of around 15-20 kids from 15-18. Now they break up the age groups 15-16 and 17-18 year olds. Two girl groups to one guy group. Obviously it's slanted more for the guys.

Honestly, it's still kinda fun if you forget about the core of why you're there. I'm sure there's plenty of kids there who are in the same boat. By end of week some are reconverted, and others, well they just keep to themselves. Good luck.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.