Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dragonmystic ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 06:28PM

I just came in from the woodwork and posted my exit story.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?3,1153004

It's a bit long, as it seems these things go.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 06:54PM

Congratulations and welcome to RFM.

Posted by: dragonmystic ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 10:16AM

Thank you!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 07:12PM

I enjoyed reading your story. Both my father and my brother were trained as engineers. My brother has lots of engineer friends. So I have a soft spot in my heart for engineers. :)

It took me a long time to understand that my brother and I have different communication styles. Whenever I bring him a problem, I am usually just looking for a sympathetic ear. But as an engineer by training, if I bring him a problem, then by George he is going to SOLVE that problem if it is the last thing he does! He's a great brother.

You saw your own problem and you solved it.

I'm glad that you found your way here.

Date: January 31, 2014 10:18AM

Yeah, I've had to learn that distinction myself. Sometimes people need a shoulder to cry on, not to solve.

Posted by: not-for-prophet ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 07:12PM

Good for you!

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 07:25PM

That was a really interesting story. Thanks for sharing. I think really intelligent poeple have an even harder time with TSCC because they can intuit it's so illogical. It's impossible for them to just believe it all. And being gay in a situation where gays are so demonized must have been really difficult.

Congrats on your hard-won freedom!

Date: January 31, 2014 10:22AM

I really need to stress that I realized I was gay AFTER I left the church. It's something that really bugs me, because people are always like:

"You left the church because you're gay, didn't you?"

No. I left the church because it's WRONG.

It's just an example of how controlling and damaging the church can be, because it took a couple of years for me to even realize there was a *reason* I didn't find women enticing. The idea that being gay was an *option* and something that actually happens...

Posted by: Davo ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 07:44PM

LOL!
Yes!
I had those same questions as a young-un, "Why does the Holy Spirit leave the unworthy—the ones that need it most to guide them?", and the "Isn't that what Satan would do or say?" retort...sometimes openly, in Sunday School or other classes--but I wasn't smart enough at that age to follow those objections to their final conclusion, so I would place them obediently on my "shelf", because "da chuch was still twoo".
It wasn't until some 30 years later that "shelf" would hold no more bullshite.

Date: January 31, 2014 10:23AM

"Obviously" we just weren't smart enough to understand God. If something doesn't make sense, it just means you're dumb.

Yeah. Really healthy there for me :/

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 08:10PM

Loved your exit story. The way you describe what happened to you seems like an "industrial strength" version of what a lot of us got in smaller doses.

You make me feel sort of lucky to have been a little more oblivious to what was happening. (My brain works the opposite of an engineer type I think.) I accepted way too easily that it was all my fault, and just put all my efforts into excelling at school, like you. I also put a lot of effort into being socially inept, just like you. But you learn, don't you.

Glad you made it through and seem to be in a much better place. I think you have great insights which have a lot more to do with things than just an IQ level. Thank you for posting that.

Date: January 31, 2014 10:26AM

I admit I'm still having a hard time being called "smart" because of how the church culture treats you.

I had a hard time writing this post saying "and I realize I was sharper than I gave myself credit for" because of that reason.

Of course, maybe I'm going to go too much the other way and become an insufferable prick? I dunno, it'll normalize out eventually.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 10:46AM

I don't know where you are, but I left the Morridor rather soon after graduating BYU and I found the biggest change about living in a religiously diverse area was that all the religions seemed to cancel each other out. No one seemed interested at all in your religious preference.

As a result people tend to see you more for who you really are. If you are smart they will notice. If you are talented they will notice. Judgement is a tenth of what it was when I was a young Mormon and any standards we are held to here are realistic, not some made up phony standard concocted to keep a bunch of grey haired old "losers" in control of their empire.

As long as you are aware that we can all be pricks some time, you will always be okay.

Posted by: spicyspirit ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 08:50AM

If socially inept means being blessed with honesty and integrity, then yes you are socially inept. Great story, and welcome.

Date: January 31, 2014 10:26AM

Socially inept in being blunt and, "yeah, tell your Ultra-TBM father this. THAT'LL go over well."

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 12:37PM

Thanks for your story.

I loved how you described your neighborhood growing up as a place where everyone's favorite topic of conversation was how bad things on TV are getting. I grew up in a similar kind of place in Davis County, UT.

Your description of disliking church activities and liking school resonated with me. My mom always gave me grief about missing "mutual." But I generally had soccer practices on Wednesday, and needed a few hours for homework--something she was loath to understand. I didn't get straight A's like you, but did alright.

It's also how often TBM parents simply attribute rebellion against anything associated with the church as an "attitude problem," or anti-social behavior. Of course, that kind of feeds on itself if we accept those judgements--even though that's often not who we are.

You don't sound socially inept, you were just struggling with a difficult social environment that doesn't accept people like you! Sometimes that requires plain speaking.

My father certainly harbored those kinds of attitudes about me. That is until I continued to live my life outside the church for a few years with quite a good level of personal and professional success. I hope they see that I'm much more at peace with myself and the world around me. Now I don't have to conform myself or the wold to Mormonism, and that has been very liberating.

We all share different life experience with respect to these matters with the LDS organization, but many aspects of a person's story often resonate despite those differences.

Best of luck to you. Thanks.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.