Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: happiernow ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 06:14AM

So back at Christmastime, I had 2 siblings come from out of town with their families to visit. My sister drove 3 days with her DH and 5 kids (ages 11mo to 8.5yo) to stay at my parents' house. My youngest brother drove about 11 hours over 2 days with his DW and 2 girls (ages 13mo and almost 3yo). My brother and his DW planned to hang out with one of my other brothers (Hold Your Tapirs) before heading down to stay at my parents' house. However, before arriving at HYT's house, they stopped at the ATL temple so DW could do an endowment session!

Okay, now I DID drag my poor DH (gizmo) to endowment sessions almost monthly our 1st year of marriage or so, but if we were on vacation, we didn't go to church on Sunday. We enjoyed our vacation. When we visited family, we didn't take time away from our visit with family to go to a temple!

Anyway, we also went to HYT's house when my brother and his family arrived, and we had a nice visit that Saturday before Christmas.

We all got together for Christmas Eve to eat dinner and exchange gifts. It was an enjoyable visit, and not too much church stuff came up, which was amazing for my TBM family!

The Friday after Christmas, I talked to my sister about us heading back down to Mom & Dad's so we could visit them a little more before they headed back home. She said that would be great, see you around noon. Well, as we were heading out, I called my mom to let her know we would arrive just before 1pm. She said, "Oh, that's fine. Your sister and her husband aren't back from the temple yet anyway. They'll be back after 3 or 4."

Okay, we left TSCC before we had kids, but I'm pretty sure that if I had free babysitters, my first impulse would not have been to go to the temple, even if I were still going!

And my MIL has to go to church each time she comes out to visit, which is 1-2x a year for only 3-5 days at a time. (We don't go with her to church; DH just drops her off and then picks her back up later.) Until my BIL's wife has their baby in June, our 3 kids are her only grandkids, but yet, with the little time she gets to spend with them, she'd rather use some of that time to go to church?! What about being family-oriented?! I know, just a bunch of lip-service.

So... How crazy TBM is your family?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: John Ferrier ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 11:35AM

Date night used to be a night away from the kids so parents could enjoy some down time with a movie, a nice restaurant, or a walk in the mall, or go back for some "quality time" together. But that's all changed over the last 5 years or so. Instead, my siblings get babysitters (usually mom and dad) and head off to the temple. That is their alone time.

This past Christmas, siblings traveled in from other towns and states but instead of family meals, talent shows, games, etc., they, yep, you guessed it, they went to a endowment session. The kids all got to play at least, but the adults were occupied in the temple.

That left the few of us who have left, or aren't "worthy," to get together and have great conversations and get caught up. That's at least the positive effect for us - we actually got to act like grown ups instead of blindly following the prophet.

So all in all, the family is crazy TBM but that opens up other opportunities for the rest of us.

Posted by: snuckafoodberry ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 11:42AM

Just a thought. Do you think some couples lie and say they are going to the temple but instead go shopping or to the movies or whatever? It would be a good way to get some free time when you have kids.

Posted by: lily ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 11:46AM

I'd imagine most are too afraid of mocking God to outright lie about it, but I can see people planning on attending the temple and coming up with any reason it won't work out. Maybe even having a spare set of clothes ready to go in case...

Posted by: snuckafoodberry ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 12:43PM

Yes. Making a way out just in case for some reason the temple didn't work out. Like maybe your stomach hurt and you had to go get some medicine and you realized you better not get anyone else there sick. You better just put on your jeans you happen to have in the back seat and go to a movie. But walk into the temple so that if anyone asks you can say you went there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2014 12:44PM by snuckafoodberry.

Posted by: Hold Your Tapirs ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 01:34PM

snuckafoodberry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just a thought. Do you think some couples lie and
> say they are going to the temple but instead go
> shopping or to the movies or whatever?

I wish they were lying, but my siblings weren't. Why on earth would you want to drive for 10+ hours and then sit in a temple session? I would've been asleep in 5 minutes, the temple worker would need to wake me up for the first token of the aaronic priesthood.

Posted by: lush ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 11:43AM

crazy enough to attend Sunday morning church while on a cruise! 7 hour's at Port in Aruba and they went to a 3 hour block to "experience Aruba's culture"!! I had a few beers at a beach front bar took the kid swimming in the ocean and bought a few souvenirs.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.