Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: starkravingmad ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 05:39PM

...no discipline?

I'm wondering if they EVER hold one of these "courts of love" unless they really already know the outcome?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 05:44PM

Several times.

We convened with usually a general idea of possible outcomes, but after we heard from those who spoke (the member, witnesses, etc.), the first thing I had my two counselors do was lay out the most severe and the least severe action they thought possible, and we went from there.

On several occasions we issued probation. On a couple we sent the person packing with no sanction whatever.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 05:53PM

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 05:59PM

Cheryl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> n/t

Wow. That's pretty harsh.

Date: February 04, 2014 05:02AM

And looking back you don't seem to care.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 05:59AM

What's going on with you lately, Cheryl? We've all done stuff as TBMs that, in hindsight, we would have done differently or not at all. There's no need to get so aggressive about it.

Date: February 04, 2014 06:23AM

from it.

I don't expect anyone to dwell on it but I would assume that those who are recovering would face it before they shrug it off.

It's like the exmo missionaries who remain proud of "serving honorably" and don't care that they used lies and broke up families to achieve number goals. Most former missionaries have a reality moment about what they did before they totally purge their complicity from their minds. Others dwell on it when there's nothing to be done and a few are still proud of their sacrifice and never seem to understand how they were implicated in telling lies and harassing innocent people.

Date: February 04, 2014 06:59AM

Still, it's very hard to attribute motives, feelings or regrets based on a few lines on an internet forum. Nobody comes here to be judged by you.

Date: February 04, 2014 07:14AM

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 07:18AM

You are judging hi harshly for judging other people.

You can take some people out of the church....

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 07:29AM

The OP asked a simple and direct question which left4good answered clearly and succinctly. Just because left4good chose not to express any emotion in that particular response doesn't mean he has no regrets for any damage he may have caused in his former Mormon leadership role ... and it certainly doesn't give you the right to call him "indifferent."

WOW. JUST WOW!

Date: February 04, 2014 08:05AM

Perhaps he did and wanted to keep it to himself. I saw no evidence that he thought this system was harmful or that he regretted the personal harm it caused.

I call them as I see them which is my right.

Date: February 04, 2014 08:09AM

I suggest you start a few threads about how even ex-mormons do not always express remorse for past sins even when they have every opportunity to do so.

Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 09:56AM

lol

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 07:17AM

That was uncalled for.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 09:20AM

I'm guessing Cheryl likes her burgers 'flame grilled'.

You've got to love that she calls it as she see's it.

All left4good had to say was either:

"Hell yes, I'm mortified by what I put people through."

or

"No, at the time I thought I was doing what God wanted me to do."

And in reality, all Cheryl did was ask a fairly gentle question "wondering if you're ashamed of being part of that evil process?"

I think you're all being a little delicate and over sensitive.

Flame on!

Date: February 04, 2014 09:34AM

You may be right about the first question but the second remark definitely shows the real intent.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 09:37AM

You mean the remark after someone had called her harsh, that one?

Come on, wind your neck back in and stop making a drama where one doesn't exist.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 05:51PM

Yes...I came home from Iraq and several days after my return it became known to my wife that I had cheated on her.I was in turmoil when I returned.My house was in turmoil my marriage was failing and I was fairly messed up.They always wanted to talk to me and I always avoided them.I never spoke to them and finally after being home for nine months I went and spoke to the Bishop...I was asked if I would return to the church if excommunicated, I said no, I wouldn't. When we parted I know thatt he issue was referred to a Disciplinary council which I declined to attend..Later, I learned that I was placed on "probation" provided I get counseling through LDS Family Services and report back monthly...I reported Monthly but got counseling through the VA which they were not happy about because they were unable to get any information back from the VA.

I think they went easy on me because I had huge issues from Iraq I was dealing with and never really seemed to interested in their process. I think they felt that if they were to "hard" on me they would chase me away....The ironic thing I learned about the church is that often times the extent to which you may be punished is directly proportional to how much you care.

Posted by: fredoi ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 05:07AM

How is the marriage? Have you been able to repair things with your wife?
Either or neither of you lds now?

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 10:02AM

The whole idea of threatening to kick someone out of the church depends on that person wanting to stay in it. "Please don't throw me out into the cold, cruel, evil world! Don't take away my blessings and my access to the celestial kingdom! I'll be good, I'll do anything you demand! I promise!"

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 06:17AM

Well, there is a person here whose husband admitted to being a serial adulterer. The tide turned, however, when one of the so-called "authorities" present suggested that she was unable to satisfy her husband. They gave him probation, and punished her by releasing her from her callings. Since the men are just car salesmen, lawyers, and school teachers, no one has a clue as to how to even perform their duties.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 11:10AM

Hey, I've heard that story. The good ending is, that the HC court was the very first crack in the door of "something's rotten in the state of Zion" for that person who posts here. It started letting some light filter in. She is now a very happy exmo and the poor oh-so-repentant penishood holder is a miserable, obese, decrepit loser living with his TBM mother and depending on hookers for his satisfaction. Oh, but still a mormon in good standing. Bwahahahahaha.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 07:49AM

I'm backing "left4good" on this argument. Many of us here were active TBMs and called to bishoprics and high councils. Many of us were involved in church courts and all that ugly stuff, and we felt we were doing right, even if ultimately we were not. Then we become ex-Mormon, and we know that all that was bad. What can we do? Try to warn others. I feel genuinely bad for it for helping to pass judgement on people when there was none to pass, but I did so as a believing member. Many of us here did similar things as presidents of YM/YW, the Relief Society, and in many other functions.

This is supposed to be a forum we can turn to in order discuss these things, the times of judgement being over, having been replaced by a time of healing and further learning. Now we can laugh at ourselves for believing such things and try to recover from the past, largely from things that we did. If not this, then what? If not this, then what is special about RfM? If we continue to judge each other by what we did as active Mormons, why not just hang out at LDS.org?

Posted by: Butterfly Undercover ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 09:09AM

cludgie Wrote:
If we continue to judge
> each other by what we did as active Mormons, why
> not just hang out at LDS.org?

+10. You nailed it cludgie!

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 09:45AM

Agreed, it was totally uncalled for and inappropriate for Cheryl to demand a certain emotional response from left4good. I mean, I feel no remorse for the things I did as a TBM, I don't have the emotional capital to spend on a situation where I believed (at the time) that I was doing the right thing. I can only make choices with the tools I have, I can't go back in the past castigating myself for every choice I made with an insufficient set of tools.

Posted by: cwpenrose ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 11:03AM

Thank You!

Posted by: imconfusednow ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 10:22AM

Sounds like some don't think Cheryl can have her/his own opinion. Isn't that what this forum is all about? HER subject did have non-existent context but so what.

I think if someone truly was a Believing Member of the LDS church and did their calling or missionary work to the best of their ability and they sincerely thought their actions were honorable, then they should not be ashamed of said work. Shaming on this post is no different than what MORmONs do.

Should my wife be ashamed for what she is involved with, gawd no. She doesn't know any better.

EDIT

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2014 10:36AM by imconfusednow.

Date: February 04, 2014 10:45AM

Anyone who can't deal with a passing opinion needs to get a grip. That's especially true of someone who sat in judgment and dished out punishments in Mormon kangaroo courts and doesn't express a whiff of learning with the advantage of hindsight.

These courts are sexist and unfair. They're highly political, slanted, and based on the whims of whoever takes charge. Evidence is often nothing but bishop pillow talk or gossip from his wife. The "courts" don't allow for any of the normal protections of a fair court hearing and they ruin lives, families, and reputations.

To claim that I'm worse than that is laughable and those making that accusation are deluded and as judgmental as the Mormon priesthood guys who ex, disfellowship, shun, and harass.

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 10:54AM

I felt horrible and he was sure he was going to hell. We had gotten above average baptisms for the area we were in, so the mission president court of love (there were two others guys there but I don't remember who they were) seemed perplexed that the sinner and his obviously non-babysitter comp could have the spirit enough for so many baptisms. It seemed to me, since I got thoroughly grilled also, that they thought the guy made it up to get out of the mission for some reason they couldn't determine! It was a wtf moment for me when they let him stay (not that I wanted him to go). The only thing I can guess is that they thought the guy was beating himself up sufficiently? And/or they didn't believe he really did it and they wanted more baptisms? Anyway, the MP actually asked him to extend twice, so he actually served 26 months.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 10:55AM

Yes, years ago.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.