Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mythb4meat ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 12:38PM

Not a big deal, but I guess it's kind of amusing....

At or near the last day of my freshman year at BYU, I went on a real date with Marie.

On April 18, 1975, I just happened to run into her in the laundry room of the Riviera Apartments. (I think her family owned them or something). I recognized her and began a conversation of small-talk. I quickly realized this was my chance. Nervously, I asked her if she was busy the next night. She said "not really", so I invited her on a date and she said OK.

I was from the state of WA and had no car in Utah, so I "picked her up" on foot, and we walked about 20 minutes and arrived at the Harris Fine Arts Center on campus (HFAC) and attended a dramatic play called "Right Honorable Saint". I recall it was some fictional propaganda about Brigham Young.

Miss Marie was wearing dark green pants and a light green top, and earrings and a bracelet. I kind of wanted to hold her hand, but was too shy and scared to try.

Afterward we ate snacks over at Ernies (Ernest L Wilkinson Ctr) and several people recognized her; it was kind of a distraction.

Walking her back home, it was kind of late, around 11:15 pm. And just twice, quickly, as we were jaywalking across a couple of streets, I held her hand to be a gentleman.

We said a friendly good-night. She did not particularly show much interest in me, so no follow-up dates. I think a few months later she began to date basketball player Steve Craig.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 01:13PM

condolences

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 01:24PM

That's cool.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 01:34PM

really

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 01:36PM

I had a date with Donny Osmond. In my dreams.

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 02:15PM

FWIW, I lived in the Riv from 1978-1980. And yes, the osmonds did own them. $90/month from 4 guys each in a 2 bedroom. Pretty steep for back then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2014 02:22PM by misterzelph.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 02:43PM

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 06:08PM

I lived there 1973-74. Six females to one apartment. One semester I had a total of 18 roommates. They kept moving in and moving out. I worked fulltime and went to school fulltime so was rarely there except to sleep.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 10:37PM

I was there in the summer of 78. I saw the white she devil at the pool once.

I heard about the priesthood ban being lifted on the tv set in my apartment

Posted by: top ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 02:43PM

to the top

Posted by: whatiswanted ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 02:49PM

You dodged that bullet...lol

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 02:51PM

Who didn't?

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 04:31PM

Soooooooooooooooooooo cool. I dreamed that once also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2014 04:32PM by get her done.

Posted by: sharapata ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 06:28PM

You might have very well been her first *date*.

Date: February 03, 2014 06:32PM

I was 18. At the time I thought she was 17.

At any rate, I was just 5"11 and quite athletic, but only average looking I think. Steve Craig was an up and coming basketball star, 6'5 and very handsome.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 06:44PM

Soooo... No 1st or 2nd base, or anything, eh? No hands on the butt, hands up the bra, nothing like that?

Date: February 03, 2014 06:58PM

Hi Cludgie,

No, I was pretty much a shy Mormon kid with very little experience. After the date I fantasized about unbuttoning her shirt and looking at her boobs and touching her, etc....but I even felt guilty about that because of my indoctrination of worthiness, chastity, temple recommends, and all that stuff. So I can only claim that I briefly held her hand twice while crossing the street.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 10:12PM

"After the date I fantasized about unbuttoning her shirt and looking at her boobs"

How long after the date? Recently?

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 07:38PM

Cool experience. Riviera apartments were for all the wealthy kids. Haha. I met her up at the studio one day while I was helping do a promo for their show. She came up to me and I was startled a bit because I didn't see her approach. I too was kinda shy as what kind of small talk do you come up with? What's your name? What do you do? Haha. Anyway, she was actually really cute and all done up for the commercial. She's also a friggin' midget. I thought she was short, but she was also wearing big monster heels too. Yikes! Anyway, after a brief walk down the hall, we arrived at the sound stage and she began to schmooze the audience immediately.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 07:47PM

The ward and high school were all abuzz when John Huntsman Jr. took Marie Osmond to the school dance. (I can't recall if it was Homecoming or Prom now.) About 1978.

Marie would have been shy of her 16th birthday in April 1975. I wonder how old she thought you were?

Date: February 03, 2014 07:53PM

Hi Crom

Marie thought I was a youthful looking BYU freshman....

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 07:54PM

I made out with Ms. Nevada.

She was from my home town and worked at the same restaurant. So it was no big deal after a while. In fact, she hadn't done anything since being crowned Ms. Nevada.

We went on a few dates and kissed at the end of the date. Yippee!

T-Bone

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 10:55PM

I sat by John Denver (OK, non Mo, so not as cool) once in a production in Aspen. When it was over, I told him I really appreciated him not making a big deal over sitting next to a celeb. He looked at me pretty hard for a minute, then cracked up as he realized I was having fun with him. He was really nice and wore a big sheepskin coat.

Posted by: funeral taters ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 11:31PM

Didn't she get divorced pretty recently? Maybe you can give it another shot dude!

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 11:49PM

Actually she got married again to Steve Craig in the temple recently.

In 1980 I lived in earshot of the apartments and wow. The parties that seemed to be so worldy! Hahahha!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2014 11:50PM by Devoted Exmo.

Posted by: nw gal ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 02:10AM

So what was her personality like? I heard her on the radio talking about how she peed her pants while on a date once. Did she pee her pants with you?

I thought that was a strange thing to admit to. Marie peeing her pants. Not you admitting to dating MO.

Date: February 04, 2014 02:17AM

Hi nwgal,

Her personality was outgoing, talkative, excitable, inquisitive. Especially for such a young girl. She was obviously more poised than I was. She could tell I was a bit shy, and kindly tried to make me feel more comfortable.

She did not pee her pants, as far as I know. But she was pretty and cute and socially polished.

Posted by: Joy ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 05:02AM

It wouldn't have mattered how nice and good looking you were--you didn't have a car.

I guess a divorced temple-wife can get married in the temple a second time--if it is to the same man?

Posted by: funeral taters ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 10:48AM

Joy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It wouldn't have mattered how nice and good
> looking you were--you didn't have a car.
>
> I guess a divorced temple-wife can get married in
> the temple a second time--if it is to the same
> man?

It turned out to be an eternal marriage after all!

Posted by: Lu ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 01:01PM

In 1975 Marie would have only been 15, she always says she didn't start dating until until she was 16. And then only double dating until 18. Are you sure your dates are right? She didn't start dating Steve until her late teens, was engaged to someone else first.

Posted by: Mr. Neutron ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 01:09PM

mythb4meat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Afterward we ate snacks over at Ernies (Ernest L
> Wilkinson Ctr)...

I lived in Provo for almost a decade and I NEVER heard the Wilkinson Center referred to as Ernie's. I am chagrined.

On a side note, I went out on a single date each with two best friends from LA who were in a MormonAd together. I made a big deal on my mission about that one. My only claim to straight-boy fame.

:)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.