Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AngelCowgirl ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 02:54PM

I know the wording at the bottom of the tithing slips was changed (in 2012, I think) to basically say, "We can use this money for whatever we damn well please, but just keep telling yourself it's going to a good cause."

So - forgive my ignorance - but does this mean that tithing can be used to pay the church's legal expenses? I'm just wondering if my TBM family has helped pay for the legal counsel that Monson & Co. now need...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 03:00PM

Since it's the church that will have to defend itself, not one of the many "for profit" arms of the corporation, yes, I would imagine that tithing could directly and openly be used for it's legal expenses.

After all, I was always taught that tithing was meant for the "edification" of the church as a whole, to support the church's direct needs as a whole (not for charity or anything actually positive, that's what fast offerings were supposed to be about). But as you say, it's right there on the tithing slip, they can and will use any money donated to them for any purpose as they see fit regardless of the intent of the donor.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 03:03PM

They use tithing for any purpose they want, including malls and illegal activities like buying votes re. Prop. 8.

Posted by: grubbygert ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 03:05PM

I don't want to ruin your day but... TSCC has settled abuse cases out of court for millions of dollars

most likely it came from tithing

Posted by: shakinthedust ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 03:06PM

What else do they have? All their assets originate back from tithing.

Posted by: AngelCowgirl ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 03:06PM

That's kinda what I figured... there may be a family member or two who would be bothered by this, so it kinda helps take the church down another peg in an odd way. But 99% of them will just say they are "blessed" to help defend their profit.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 03:08PM

It's not like they feel the need to tell anyone where the 'sacred funds' go.

On the flip side, since they don't know where the money goes, members don't get upset about it. EXCEPT when it becomes obvious that the church has spent money on huge land purchases, malls, or Prop 8.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.