Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: chainsofmind ( )
Date: February 07, 2014 09:46PM

Between Scientology and Mormonism, cult watching is becoming full time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2014 09:46PM by chainsofmind.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: February 07, 2014 10:00PM

Minds will be reclaimed, lives will be saved.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 03:02AM

..... a Pepsi will be enjoyed.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 11:53AM

... Ears will be waggled

Posted by: nationalnewscampaign ( )
Date: February 07, 2014 10:05PM

chainsofmind Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Between Scientology and Mormonism, cult watching
> is becoming full time.

I think you're right. I told some nevermo friends that we are witnessing the end of Mormonism as we knew it. I don't think they quite believed me.

Not that there won't be an LDS church going forward, but
- most new investigators won't join
- some percentage of the active membership will leave
- TSCC will have to retract the claims that made them special, such as having a prophet and access to revelation
- financial matters will be more open
- civil ceremonies will be held before temple weddings
- TSCC will be a de-fanged version of its former self

Posted by: behindcurtain ( )
Date: February 07, 2014 10:26PM

"- TSCC will have to retract the claims that made them special, such as having a prophet and access to revelation"

If they retracted that, there would be no church left.

"- civil ceremonies will be held before temple weddings"

This will only happen if the country refuses to honor religious weddings, which will probably not happen.

Posted by: nationalnewscampaign ( )
Date: February 07, 2014 10:31PM

behindcurtain Wrote:
> "- TSCC will have to retract the claims that made
> them special, such as having a prophet and access
> to revelation"
>
> If they retracted that, there would be no church
> left.
>
> "- civil ceremonies will be held before temple
> weddings"
>
> This will only happen if the country refuses to
> honor religious weddings, which will probably not
> happen.

You're right, they probably they won't "retract" that they have a prophet, but he/she, oops I just meant "HE", won't ever again have anything special or controversial or revelatory to say

I personally think they will start allowing non-temple recommend family members in to view temple weddings. They'll need to cordon off a lesser section of the temple like they do now for teenagers to get dead dunked.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 07, 2014 10:08PM

Mormonism will survive if the leaders and adherents learn how to play with others. It's a kindergarten lesson they have yet to absorb.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2014 10:09PM by donbagley.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: February 07, 2014 10:30PM

But no matter how well they could ever be accepted by the rest of society, there's still one thing they can never do. ...They can't become the only true church. Seeing how that doesn't really exist.

Date: February 07, 2014 10:37PM

Some religions will survive, it depends on how they play their cards. I think it's possible Mormonism could fizzle out completely. They don't seem to be in a good strategic position for long term survival.

They could go the RLDS->Community of Christ route, but then they're not the same church, thus, the end of Mormonism.
edit: this may be their long term plan, but to do it over generations. They are already slowly dropping the BOM as history and much else.

I think it's very likely we will see the end of Scientology in a few decades or less.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2014 10:41PM by chainsofmind.

Date: February 07, 2014 10:42PM

Stock tip. Invest in popcorn.

Posted by: grubbygert ( )
Date: February 07, 2014 10:47PM

"They are already slowly dropping the BOM as history and much else."

before today I had been very skeptical of the viability of the RLDS route but seeing the TBMs react to the summons on FB has me reconsidering

lots of "it's our belief!" and "you can't prove it either way" talk about the BoM

when I left a decade ago the BoM was absolutely the Truth and there were supposedly "evidences" (absurd, of course) and if you can't see it then something is wrong with you

it seems that when survival of the group is on the line TBMs actually can forget that the BoM is supposed to be True and just talk about how it is their belief...

interesting times

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: February 07, 2014 10:40PM

So long farewell, auf wiedershen goodbye. Goooodbyyyeee, gooodbyyye, goodbyeeee.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: February 07, 2014 10:54PM

madalice Wrote:
> So long farewell, auf wiedershen goodbye.
> Goooodbyyyeee, gooodbyyye, goodbyeeee.

dont forget that everyone has to raise their right hand in a semi wave. Got to be the corniest scene in the whole movie.

Posted by: templeendumbed ( )

Ohhhhhh nooooo sweetie!!!! There are too many myths linked to CIA Operation Mockingbird that are in full force out there. In fact, I am willing to bet you went to college and had an economics course, but you still believe tax cuts for the 1% creates jobs.

Seeing through the morg myth is only the tip of the mythology you are facing!!

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )

As recently as last October 2013 General Conference we witnessed all 15 Apostles failing to say "The Church is True."

--
Posted October 8, 2013 11:23PM http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1042496,1047168#msg-1047168

"I listened to all 5 sessions of General Conference and posted Cryptnotes shortly after each session. Not one of the 15 Apostles said, "I know this Church is true." Or this is “the only true Church on the earth.” Or this is the “only true Gospel on the earth.” That is their responsibility and calling as Apostles to make such declarations without hesitation and before the whole world – even on camera. They should have absolutely no reason to remain silent, unless they can’t say it . . . "

Posted by: Southern Utah Apostate ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 02:34AM

If they're just another cult they won't be speshull anymore :(

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 12:31PM

And the "Mother Church" in Boston has acres of empty pews. There is a quiet but real conflict in that cult. There are the old-time believers, most of them old and frail, who avoid medicine at all costs. Or until they're so sick they're desperate; at that point, they're beyond help. Then there are what I call the "neo-Christian Scientists," who like the general belief system but don't practice it so strictly, and mix in medical care with Mary Baker Eddy's "Mind Science" teachings.

It's a rough parallel, but it's like jack Mormons gaining both legitimacy and ascendancy in the wards as older TBMs either die out or apostatize.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.