Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: baura ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 12:08PM

Feb 8, 1842 - Joseph Smith marries Sylvia Sessions Lyon. She has been legally married to Windsor P. Lyon since 1838 and Windsor is in full fellowship with the Church when the polyandrous marriage takes place. Exactly two years later a child, fathered by Joseph Smith, is born to Sylvia.

Feb 8, 1843 - Joseph Smith "talked with a brother and sister from Michigan, who thought that 'a prophet is always a prophet;' but I told them that a prophet was a prophet only when he was acting as such." Joseph Smith also writes: "One Gentleman said he understood it was very fruitful at Nauvoo. Two women from his neighborhood who had no children went to Nauvoo and since have families."

Feb 8, 1844 - Joseph Smith's only acknowledged polygamous child Josephine is born. Her mother Sylvia Sessions Lyon is legally married to Windsor P. Lyon with whom she is living, and so this is the first acknowledged polyandrous child.
As chief justice of Nauvoo, Smith fines two African-Americans $25 and $5 for "trying to marry white women."

Feb 8, 1846 - Brigham Young and other apostles meet in Nauvoo Temple for the last time: "We knelt around the altar and dedicated the building to the Most High. We asked his blessing upon our intended move to the west; also asked him to enable us one day to finish the Temple, and dedicated it to him and we would leave it in his hands to do as he pleased; and to preserve the building as a monument to Joseph Smith." Later that day Young "addressed the saints in the grove and informed them that the company going to the west would start this week across the river."

Feb 8, 1857 - Brigham Young asks congregation, "Will you love your brothers or sisters likewise, when they have committed a sin that cannot be atoned for without the shedding of their blood? Will you love that man or woman well enough to shed their blood? . . . I could refer you to plenty of instances where men, have been righteously slain, in order to atone for their sins. I have seen scores and hundreds of people for whom there would have been a chance (in the last resurrection there will be) if their lives had been taken and their blood spilled on the ground as a smoking incense to the Almighty, but who are now angels to the devil, until our elder brother Jesus Christ raises them up—conquers death, hell, and the grave. I have known a great many men who have left this Church for whom there is no chance whatever for exaltation, but if their blood had been spilled, it would have been better for them. The wickedness and ignorance of the nations forbid this principle's being in full force, but the time will come when the law of God will be in full force. This is loving our neighbour as ourselves; if he needs help, help him; and if he wants salvation and it is necessary to spill his blood on the earth in order that he may be saved, spill it. Any of you who understand the principles of eternity, if you have sinned a sin requiring the shedding of blood, except the sin unto death, would not be satisfied nor rest until your blood should be spilled, that you might gain that salvation you desire. That is the way to love mankind." Blood atonement sermons are the most publicized feature of the Reformation. Heber C. Kimball preaches, "My God is a cheerful, pleasant, lively, and good-natured being."

Feb 8, 1857 - Heber C. Kimball preaches: "How long do you suppose it will take a little man like me, though I feel perfectly able to thrash any six common wicked men, if I am faithful in keeping the commandments of God and true all the days of my life to my brethren, as I have been hitherto and mean to be more so, to get into the celestial kingdom of God with my whole posterity, in case there should be no obstruction? How long do you suppose it will be before my posterity increases to over a million? A hundred years will not pass away before I will become millions myself. You may go to work and reckon it up, and twenty-five years will not pass away before brother Brigham and I will number more than this whole Territory."

Feb 8, 1886 - U.S. marshal publishes $500 reward for arrest of first counselor George Q. Cannon. A week later Cannon is arrested in Nevada after unsuccessfully trying to bribe arresting officers and then jumping form moving train to escape. He denies attempted bribery and claims that he accidentally fell from train.
Wilford Woodruff escapes through a crowd of federal marshalls by putting on his glasses and walking between them with another Mormon. The marshalls were mainly looking for John Taylor and George Q. Cannon but Woodruff was also wanted.

Feb 8, 1887 - Lorenzo Snow is released from prison after the U.S. Supreme court overturns his conviction on polygamy charges due to a technicality. He had been given permission to keep his long hair and beard during his incarceration due to a letter from two physicians.

Feb 8, 1898 - Utah's Senator Frank J. Cannon, son of the first counselor of the LDS presidency, introduces a resolution in the U.S. Senate in which he states that, if Spain refuses to grant the independence of Cuba on or before March 4, "the Government of the United States will on that date recognize the belligerency of the Cuban patriots and will within ninety days thereafter assert the independence of the Republic of Cuba." The MAINE battleship explodes a week later and the Spanish-American War begins over two months later.

Feb 8, 1910 - At a special meeting of the First Presidency and the Twelve with thirty-eight of the Church's sixty-two stake presidents, President Joseph F. Smith reiterates that the church must keep its pledge to the federal government. "No one has the authority to solemnize plural marriages," President Smith says, adding that if marriages were performed, he would be held responsible. There is some dissension in the meeting, but President Smith stands firm

Feb 8, 1937 - Apostle George F. Richards and Seventy's president Antoine R. Ivins begin seven days of meetings with disaffected LDS Mexicans who demand ethnic Mexican mission president. These nationalist Mexican Mormons hold first meeting of their "Third Convention" on April 26, 1936. After failure of this general authority effort at reconciliation, church leaders on May 6 begin excommunicating dissidents. Third Conventionists foster successful schismatic movement until 1946, when visit of LDS president George Albert Smith to Mexico begins process of reconciliation. Third Convention is first schismatic LDS movement based primarily on ethnic and national pride.

Feb 8, 1944 - War correspondent reports during invasion of Kwajalein by U.S.Marines that one LDS marine refuses medical attention until medics help his wounded LDS buddy. Then correspondent records that young man raises his right arm and says: "In the name of Jesus Christ and by virtue of the Holy Priesthood which I hold, I command you to remain alive until the necessary help can be obtained to secure the preservation of your life."

Feb 8, 1971 - Arsonists damage stake center of Mill Creek, Utah.

Feb 8, 1982 - G. Homer Durham, of the First Quorum of Seventy is set apart as Church Historian in a private ceremony returning the position to a general authority. Previous Church Historian, Leonard Arrington, is notified by mail of his "release". There is no mention of the change in either the CHURCH NEWS or in the next general conference.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: postpostmormon ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 01:32PM

WOW - great info - thanks for compiling

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 05:49PM

..we got to hear Tom Phillips explain the logic behind his case........thanks Tom!

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 05:56PM

Wow, that was a treasure trove.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.