Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: February 10, 2014 01:15PM

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1007072,1007072#msg-1007072

In the grand scheme of Mormon things that bother and disgust me, patriarchal blessings are right up there. The old-timey language, the useless information, the fact that the patriarch is just making stuff up and he knows it but does it anyway, pretending to speak for God. It started as a way for Joseph Smith to cut his dad and then his uncle in on the action, and it continues today as a way to stick people in the cult because they're hungry to find out what their future holds and feel special. It enables the present-day con men who run the church to keep taking their money. Ugh!

I never had one, but reading others' PBs, I get that old, familiar, shameful, sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: February 10, 2014 01:18PM

Mine was very nonspecific, probably because my patriarch didn't know me at all. If it had said something specific, I would have followed it to hell and back. I lucked out in that regard.

Well, it did tell me to go on two missions, so I was gearing up to go on a senior mission once I retire, but that was too far away to have any impact.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: February 10, 2014 06:57PM

Or do they just pick some pious old fart and assume he knows what to do?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.