Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 08:10AM

I was read the part about the fraud case that mentioned how he'd likely get the slammer, but may get a lesser sentence if he pleads guilty. Is that considered a plea bargain?

What if, say, the court would agree to no jail time at all for Monson if he agrees to resign, and possibly give up the presidency to someone more enlightened and can impose reforms?

Anyone on the Twelve that would be willing to go along? A Gerald Ford-type?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Particles of Faith ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 08:13AM

Find an apostle who looks distinguished smoking a pipe...

Posted by: S2 in Chandler ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 08:47AM

agnesbroomhead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was read the part about the fraud case that
> mentioned how he'd likely get the slammer, but may
> get a lesser sentence if he pleads guilty. Is that
> considered a plea bargain?
>
> What if, say, the court would agree to no jail
> time at all for Monson if he agrees to resign, and
> possibly give up the presidency to someone more
> enlightened and can impose reforms?
>
> Anyone on the Twelve that would be willing to go
> along? A Gerald Ford-type?

We can only hope he'd do a Pope Ratzinger and abdicate. I hear Boyd is salivating (or drooling) in the wings just waiting his chance. I wouldn't hold my breath for any enlightenment, however.

Sterling

Posted by: zenmaster ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 10:20AM

I'm absolutely loving the Watergate parallels this case has. Knowing what I know about that scandal, I feel has given me insight to what is going on in the Church beneath the surface. History tends to repeat itself.

Btw, I'm embarrassed that I'm such a Watergate junkie, but I can't help myself:)

Date: February 16, 2014 10:28AM

The problem is, he can't resign...the title of prophet would completely lose all credibility (not that it isn't hanging by a thread already)...he'll need to profess innocence to his grave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2014 10:31AM by zenmaster.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 10:36AM

Boyd the reformer? There is a thought.

A criminal conviction is the minor issue. The civil and tax lawsuits that would result from that conviction are the macro issue that have a very real possibility of breaking LDS Inc financially.

Posted by: Capt. Crunch ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 11:11AM

Anyone who thinks the contrived court case in the UK is going to have any effect on the church is delusional. The probability of Monson or anyone besides legal representatives engaging the UK court is ZERO. I have issues with the church but allowing the civil courts jurisdiction sets a dangerous precedence. It would open the floodgates to anyone who has a issue with any faith or church denomination.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 11:54AM

So what you're saying is that fraud should be punished except when it's committed by a church, in which case such church gets a free pass. I am expecting to see the church take an un-recoverable hit from this and eventually be seen by the world, no different than the moonies and other such cults.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2014 11:55AM by azsteve.

Posted by: rjkej ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 12:47PM

Churches can be sued successfully for fraud. See Molko v. Holy Spirit Association, 762 P.2d 46 (Cal. 1988) (you can google scholar it). The first amendment protects religious belief in recruitment and member retention by fraud, and it protects the teaching of that belief. What it does not protect is the actual practice -- the action(s) -- of recruitment and member retention by fraud.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 01:21PM

The value of this case will be its public exposure of the
charges. You are right that only legal representatives will
actually show up in court.

I still say that the clearest case of fraud is the practice of
instructing the Church's official representatives (missionaries)
to lie to prospective members--i.e. bear their testimony that
they KNOW it's true even if they do NOT know it's true.

Fraud requires WILLFUL misrepresentation, and AFAICS this is
willful misrepresentation with the instruction to do so coming
from the top.

However, the general public will only see that a Church is
being indicted for claiming "religious" stuff and they will
worry that it could spill over to their church. The
"persecution" angle might out-do any negative publicity/.

Posted by: templeendumbed ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 05:37PM

Capt'n - this is not in a civil court. This is the government bringing a criminal case.

Posted by: iplayedjoe ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 09:41PM

Not a civil court, Captain. This is criminal court.

Posted by: Krampus! ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 03:29AM

I agree with you that this case probably will not affect the church, not because the case is contrived, but because the church is above the law. Monson could get away with murder.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 11:17AM

'more enlightened LDS leader'; there's an oxymoron for ya!

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 12:39PM

guynoirprivateeye Wrote:
> 'more enlightened LDS leader'; there's an oxymoron
> for ya!

An oxymormon, to be precise.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 11:18AM

The concepts of right and wrong from an ethical point for the church couldn't be less relevant. And Monson is just the latest puppet master in a long string of fraud artists that started with Joseph Smith. To predict what is going to happen, follow the money and try to predict which actions will most enhance and protect the church's money over the long-term. Because that's the path the church is going to take. My question is about what price the British government places on the truth. Will they sell out cheap? Can someone be bribed? Because if the British government get serious about prosecution, the church will have to pay whatever the British government demands. Whether or not Monson gets punished is just a part of that equasion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2014 11:18AM by azsteve.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 12:33PM

Somehow I just don't see this really going anywhere, at least criminally. He may be fined or the church fined, but Britain isn't going to lock up an old man over this. The church may or may not suffer some financial losses and church growth in Britain may flounder, but I doubt there will be any long term effect.

Monson will die in his sleep in his church provided apartment in Salt Lake City,as a well revered profit that said kind and wise things about widows....Nothing will change.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2014 12:33PM by whiskeytango.

Posted by: Angel-Moron-Eye ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 01:06PM

It will be funny if the church is declared a fraud and criminal enterprise as was the Church of Scientology in Germany. Scientology operates underground in Germany.

Posted by: Lightworkers ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 05:42PM

trolls don't see this going anywhere. ex's who were wounded are still afraid of the Men in Black and wouldn't do anything except maybe a wet blanket. Some are impotent to do anything knowing the fraud. I support Tom wholeheartedly.

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 08:19PM

I want to point out there are a billion threads on this situation.

I wanted to know specifically if UK law has some kind of plea-bargain deals. In which case, Phillips uses this case as a Sword of Damocles and force LDS to become a legitimate, respected Christian denomination like all out there.

If there's someone who will step up to the presidency, clean up the mess, allow no Philly Apartment boondoggles and start looking like a real Christian church, I want to know. Just like when Agnew avoided jail time for his Maryland troubles by agreeing to resign as vice president (BTW, he had nothing to do with Watergate). Monson steps down in exchange for avoiding something embarrassing.

Posted by: S2 in Chandler ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 08:41AM

agnesbroomhead Wrote:
> In which case, Phillips uses this case as a Sword of Damocles and force LDS to become a legitimate, respected Christian denomination like all out there.

Name one large legitimate Christian denomination. Legitimate christian is an oxymoron because it is based on another lie.

Sterling

Date: February 16, 2014 08:41PM

Oops, forgot Agnew was the resignation not related to Watergate (there were so many) :) Embarrassed that I missed that one!

I am still of the thought that Monson can't step down even if the law allows it. It completely diminishes the concept of "prophet, seer and revelator". The Church leadership will never have the same power again.

IMO, he has to play the "I am innocent" line and I am being persecuted card to the very end. That will be the only way for leadership to even have hope of retaining their power.

I'm trying to think from the "we are the only true church" mindset (though I like your idea much better)

Posted by: Davo ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 11:17PM

Regardless of what happens to Monson (I still believe he'll be let off due to health issues), Tom, if I understood him correctly, has a few (6?) additional summonses to be issued to other church officials (Packer, Oaks, Holland ?).
If true, this won't be over for awhile...,

Posted by: Maddy b ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 11:56PM

Monson can rule from jail, just like the flds guy.

Posted by: Taggle ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 12:57AM

Please--not Gerald Ford! He fell down the steps while exiting Air Force One. He hit spectators with wild golf balls. It was like having the Three Stooges, all rolled into one.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 02:24AM

"force LDS to become a legitimate, respected Christian denomination like all out there." - unless they change virtually EVERY belief they have, this won't happen. And if they change EVERY belief they have, what's the point of continuing?
JS is probably rolling over in his grave seeing how far removed it is from how he had it.
Of course, FLDS is going strong and they follow JS to the letter.

" He fell down the steps while exiting Air Force One. He hit spectators with wild golf balls. " - not as bad as shooting your friends in the face like Cheney.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 05:47AM

There are no plea bargains in British courts. If he pleads guilty, he could get a lighter sentence, but that is all.

British courts wouldn't care whether or not Monson resigns. It's not about him, but about the Corporation of which he is the Sole owner...

Tom in Paris

ETA : my anagrammatic first reaction to the title of this thread was "Do a Spiro Agnew? What, Grow A Penis?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2014 05:49AM by Soft Machine.

Posted by: brigantia (not logged in) ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 06:47AM

Corporation. People can believe what they like, that is not the point here and I don't think it is sinking in.

Serious stuff folks.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 08:26AM

Remember, they are doing everything in their power to keep Monson from going. I think, even if he did go, that it would be unlikely that he got any jail time, considering his age. However, I could see the church being censored, and heavily fined instead.

The problem with being mostly a real estate empire, is that you can't exactly smuggle a church owned farm out of the country. If they are found guilty, expect them to have to pay.

I would then imagine there would be a mass sell off of church property in England, and a silent withdrawal from the country. Of course the congregations would remain business as usual, but there wouldn't be any new temples any time in the near future. This may happen regardless, as the church decides it doesn't like playing with people it can't control.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.