Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 03:13PM

Here is something I wrote for friends and family:

Iodine tablet panic buying

Overview:
There has been a widespread panic buying of iodine tablets as a result of the nuclear accidents in Japan. This is due to a widespread perception that iodine tablets are an “anti radiation” treatment. This misconception has been spread by news people little understanding of the role of iodine tablets in the event of a nuclear accident.

Iodine in the human body:
Iodine is concentrated in the thyroid glands and is essential to health. An iodine deficiency results in goiter. People who live in coastal areas rarely have an iodine deficiency because iodine is abundant in marine foods such as fish and seaweed. People who live in inland areas are more likely to have an iodine deficiency. This can result in goiter. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goitre. Most table salt sold in the United States is “iodized.” This addition of trace amounts of iodine in table salt provides sufficient iodine in the diet of those living in inland areas to prevent goiter. The thyroid glands will accumulate sufficient iodine to function normally; any excess is excreted (pissed away).

Iodine 131:
Iodine 131 is a radioactive isotope that can result from fission of Uranium. About three percent of the U235 fissions result in Iodine 131. It has an 8 day half life; in other words for a given sample of Iodine 131 the amount present decreases by half every 8 days. If there is a release of fission products in a reactor accident such as those in Japan some Iodine 131 will be released. This can accumulate in the thyroid glands by displacing “normal” iodine and result in a radioactive thyroid gland.

Iodine tablets:
Iodine tablets are Potassium Iodide. They can be provided to people in the immediate vicinity of a reactor accident resulting in fission product release. They provide an excess of “normal” iodine to displace Iodine 131 in the body; thus reducing Iodine 131 concentration in the thyroid glands.

Reactor accidents in Japan:
The reactors automatically scrammed on the initial earthquakes. This resulted in very few fission events afterward because the reactors became subcrititcal. The fuel element failures and containment failures resulted in release of fission products to the atmosphere.

Effects in the United States:
Due to the 8 day half life of Iodine 131 and the dispersal of the fission products from the Japanese accidents it is highly unlikely that significant quantities of Iodine 131 will reach people in the United States. “Precautionary” consumption of iodine tablets in the belief that they will result in “radiation protection” is counterproductive. There may be adverse health effects from excessive potassium and iodine consumption. I am not qualified to further elaborate on these possible effects.

Conclusion:
Don't gulp iodine tablets in the belief that they are “anti radiation tablets.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Emmas flaming sword ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 03:18PM

I keep hearing about Iodine in the news but had no idea why they were taking it.

I also heard CA is all sold out. Apparently they keep hearing about it too but have no idea what it does.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 03:26PM

"Ever been to Utah?

"Ra-di-a-tion. Yes, indeed.

"You hear the most outrageous lies about it.

"Half-baked goggle-box do-gooders telling everybody it's bad for you.

"Pernicious nonsense.

"Everybody could stand a hundred chest X-rays a year.

"They ought to have them, too."

~ J. Frank Parnell in Repo Man

Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 03:40PM

Actually, the point is not to displace radioactive iodine but to saturate the thyroid with regular iodine so that any radioactive iodine can not be retained.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 04:14PM

"fill it up" with safe iodine so the body will just pass out any in food that is radioactive.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 04:22PM

Assuming the worst case, that a cloud of contaminated radioactive steam actually reached the coast, you would have to ingest the radioactive iodine (usually by drinking water) in order to have a chance of developing thyroid cancer.

The half life of radioactive iodine is 8.02 days, so the danger is being oversold...

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 04:50PM

Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Actually, the point is not to displace radioactive
> iodine but to saturate the thyroid with regular
> iodine so that any radioactive iodine can not be
> retained.

It appears that I missed the mark on that point. I know it, but I didn't state it clearly. Tx.

Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 03:49PM

+1

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 04:09PM

Reminds me of when I was working in the grocery business way back in the last century and in charge of ordering the toilet paper and facial tissue...

Some wag (might've been Johnny Carson) made a remark about an upcoming shortage, and man the shit flew (sorry about that).

I couldn't keep it on the shelves...

Here's the facts, and the drama mamas and drama llamas need to quit cherry picking their claims...

http://www.hps.org/documents/kifactsheetbrief.pdf

>KI has been erroneously represented as a “magic bullet” of radiation protection. KI, if taken properly, only protects against internal radiation from radioiodine taken into the body. It will NOT protect against external radiation or internal radiation from radionuclides other than radioiodine.

>The only possible sources of large radioiodine releases are from a nuclear weapons denotation and a catastrophic accident in an operating nuclear reactor. Therefore, KI has no protective value from a “dirty bomb” or a dispersion of spent nuclear fuel.

You folks in the East who are receving requests from your West coast relatives to send them iodine tablets should send them this link instead...

Then you can offer to buy them a beer or two to relax...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2011 04:10PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: Rob ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 03:52PM

Shouldn't we be sending Iodine tablets to aid the people in Japan?

Why are we hoarding them here?

Posted by: Pharmacist ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 04:05PM

Radiation degrades (both kinds involved here) and it won't make it to the U.S. Some people in Japan have exposure equal to that one aquires on an airline flight or and X-Ray. Others will need to be treated (as with sodium iodide).

There is NO REASON to purchase it!!

And for those of you who hoarded Cipro because of an anthrax scare a few years ago, throw them out. They're expired.

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 07:14PM

Plenty of iodine in that. Yum, yum!

TG

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.